Should line of sight on D.Va bomb be calculated from all points of the sphere?

Imagine watching a nuke explode. You only see one third of the mushroom cloud, with the center of it obscured behind a lamp post. You survive. Or you see one half, including the exact center point of the mushroom cloud. So you die.

This seems to be how line of sight is calculated for D.Va bombs. This is why floating payloads don’t protect you from bullets, but they do protect you from the nuke: you can see the bottom of it, but not the center.

Perhaps, considering that immortality field and double barrier have made it fairly weak as an ult, this interaction could be made more consistent so that lamp posts don’t protect you anymore?

1 Like

Have you tested this?

The center of the hitbox makes sense because intuitively, the force/heat/whatever would be radiating out of the center, not parallel to the sides. A real bomb would probably have energy going in every direction, but the majority would be directed outwards from the center.

You could make a case for every point of the victims hitbox… But I think it already works like that.

i’d be fine with “reduced damage” based on not seeing the center, but zero damage is really really dumb

It’s an CC ultimate. Not a killing ultimate. It forces the enemy to leave and create a huge place for her team. The way it’s working is fine for the moment.

4 Likes

Sounds completely unintuitive to me. The bomb is not a singularity. It’s not just a point. It’s a whole giant mech exploding. Using OP’s nuclear analogy, you think you can survive a holocaust because you were behind a wall blocking your LOS to the ground zero? Some shrapnel or radiation deem to cause damage.

To OP, I think the reason why they don’t do this could be that calculating a sphere with occlusion to each opponent’s LOS is way more computation than just a point. If that computation takes too much time, the game could freeze every time DVa bomb happens. Or even it doesn’t freeze it could limit the number of concurrent games for each server to host.

Using OP’s nuclear analogy, you think you can survive a holocaust because you were behind a wall blocking your LOS to the ground zero?

I dont think you would survive, but I think that you would avoid the vast majority of energy, assuming it was a perfectly impermeable/non-conductive material.

Which a wall isn’t. The wall at ground zero wouldn’t be a wall for long, and you wouldn’t exist for long from behind it.

Except these walls regularly take bullets, explosions and fire without any degradation whatsoever. The only thing that seems to permeate them is sound (footsteps, sonic arrow). So is it weird that this wall acts exactly the same way when hit with dva bomb as a rocket or mine?

It isn’t weird, it make sense to have it act like they do in a game. Which having D’va bomb works from a single point also does. Like, the moment you KNOW you are building for a game, then you make choices which makes sense for games.

Which the “d’va bomb is extended from a point” totally is.

1 Like

i’m not arguing for “realism”. i’m arguing for the end of standing behind a literal stop sign stick and taking zero damage as a result because the center is obscured. the game makes particle calculations that are from several points in many ults, so stop being a troll haha. or have you never looked at pharah ulting without the game crashing? :joy:

All points in the sphere volume would mean that damage hits people from behind and within shields. A handful of smaller points still within the mech model itself makes a lot more sense, and I don’t exactly oppose it, but this isn’t where Dva needs the most help. SD isn’t supposed to outdo things like nanoblade without the likes of EMP or shatter.