Short: Why is everyone so against soldier being gay

How about this. I’m a straight masculine guy and I would like S:76 to represent me and how i feel. Now you’re trying to take that away from me.

1 Like

what :smiley: you ahve 90% of heroes on your side.

And you responded like eating bugs is a bad thing. xenophobic much?

2 Likes

Ana has been flirty with everyone. Reinhardt is honestly more reciprocate to her advances than Soldier. Soldier only responds with awkwardness, or presses her about the past. It honestly makes more sense that she’s simply his best friend that would do anything for him. Relationships between military officers are generally frowned upon in most armed forces.

The only problem I have with Soldier’s reveal is that it wasn’t very fleshed out. Bastet is a vastly inferior story to What You Left Behind, and the entire story, not just the snippet we get about Vincent, feels sluggish and unimportant. They really Voltron’d this one, with yet another husband who spends maybe a second actually being present and necessary. They couldn’t even do it from Jack’s point of view. Get a flashback, a reminiscence. Nope. Just Ana talking vaguely about a long forgotten partner of her friend. Could’ve had Jack and Vincent sitting out in an Indiana cornfield, or lying on top of a truck, parked at a cliffedge. But if they actually gave any importance to the relationship, sales could drop, in America, Russia, UK, basically everywhere.

The next time they give a character a relationship, it better be ACTUALLY important. Tracer at least talks about Emily on Kings Row in-game. But here I’m supposed to believe that this personally motivated ex-super soldier is so repressed that he wouldn’t ONCE mention his past. Even Widowmaker, who is LITERALLY, BRAINWASHED, talks about her husband! It’s just bad writing! And in that respect, I will agree that Soldier’s reveal is flawed. It isn’t important enough to the character to really mean anything.

McCree, Reaper, Baptiste, and basically every other first-person-shooter protagonist on the market says hello.

2 Likes

I’m not opposed to gay characters. I am opposed to homosexuality being used politically.

Unfortunately, that seems to have been what happened with 76.

1 Like

How has it been used politically? It was barely mentioned in the story.

2 Likes

Why would you necro this thread? why?

3 Likes

Basically, 76 wasn’t written gay like Tracer was. He was made gay for the same reason Ice Man was.

1 Like

The Devs haves said there were multple LGBT heroes already in the game since 2015, and it would just be a matter of waiting for the right moment to reveal it. Soldier was gay from the start - we just didn’t know it.

3 Likes

And I’m sure they have no reason to lie about that. /s

I was never against Soldier being gay, but… the placing of it didn’t sit well for me, if you get my meaning.

We got that reveal just as we got into the climax of the Bastet short story. It was mostly Ana centered, but then we got this Soldier reveal completely out of left field.

At least with Tracer, her reveal was more… natural, to simply put. The Christmas Comic encompassed all Heroes, so the reveal there was more natural, while Soldier’s reveal seemed more out of place.

1 Like

If Blizzard ever releases a Soldier: 76 short story maybe they could add more Vincent lore like how they met or if Vincent was involved in the military especially in the Soldier Enchantment Program. Also, if they do release a short story I hope they address some questions I have for Soldier: 76/Jack Morrison. 1. Where was Jack after the Overwatch Swiss HQ was destroyed? 2. Why was Jack in Dorado? 3. Did Jack meet Sombra?

I feel like the attempt was genuine. But whether on account of purposeful ambiguity, to keep money pumping out from homophobic conservative market corners, or simply the fault of Michael Chu’s somewhat flawed writing, Vincent and the story itself feel weak. I have the feeling it was a mixture of both.

For a story with two characters who are very much about their pasts, the information given was either inconsequential notes about the past or small descriptions of current events, which we hardly are even able to care about. Hakim wasn’t mentioned for years, in the comics or the game. With Pharah and Ana being relatively quiet on Temple of Anubis, the place feels somewhat empty and lifeless in comparison to places like King’s Row and Route 66, where multiple characters have unique dialogue and interactions. So when the time comes for conflict in Egypt, what even are the stakes? Why do we care for these people? By the end of the story, Hakim and his associates are captured, but with so much time between Old Soldiers and Bastet, even I didn’t end up remembering or caring about him.

Discussions of Vincent run into the same problem. There was no knowledge of him to begin with, and only a fraction of their relationship has any substance. All of the talk in the Necropolis was about things we already knew, or things so unfamiliar and small to us that we don’t care.

The story definitely hides much about Vincent’s relationship with Jack. But with the above mentioned complaints, I’m starting to wonder whether that really was a result of corporate political meddlings or if it was just a mediocre story overall.

1 Like

Basically, 76 wasn’t a gay character until that comic. And Blizz did that for political reasons.

I’ve talked about this before. I played a game with some gay and bi friends a while ago. I showed them the Overwatch roster, and they used their “gaydar” to tell me which characters are and aren’t LGBT. All twelve of them knew that Tracer is a lesbian. And they also all said Soldier 76 was straight and probably a father. And none of them were gamers.

1 Like

Ah yes, gaydar - the most scientific of methods.

2 Likes

These are people who use their gaydar to keep themselves alive/out of jail.

I live in Tennessee. A gay dude can lose everything if he isn’t careful who he hits on. We’re talking about a method of reading people that has been honed by life or death stakes.

1 Like

Well, my and my friend’s gaydars disagree with your friends. So there. Why are your friends more right?

5 Likes

This means nothing to me. It’s your (or your friend’s) word against the Dev’s, and I have 0 reason to believe you.

3 Likes

That’s fair enough, I guess.