Short: Why is everyone so against soldier being gay

Because gamers are generally racist, misogynistic, and homophobic. I mean, how many times have you heard the n-word while gaming? Are you really surprised about this?

I think there are a lot of reasons people are upset.

1. One reason is probably straight up homophobia, there’s not much else to go on with that.

2. People believe it can mess with existing ships. I do Mercy76 art, personally but people might think that canon will absolutely destroy ships. Which it doesn’t, these are fictional characters and you can do whatever you want with them. I think people forget that, and they get scared they’re not allowed to do what they want anymore.

3. Some people say it’s out of character…but that personally doesn’t make any sense because a sexuality isn’t exactly a personality type.

4. People believe it’s suspicious timing, to cover up the Ellie controversy.

There’s a huge spectrum of reasons, but these are the ones I’ve seen the most.

I’m fine with Soldier 76 being gay, I just don’t want people who have had pre-existing ships to get hate. That’s my personal concern.

2 Likes

The real question here is what this part of his original back story to start or just something executed as part of a business decision to attract certain demographics.

1 Like

Things would have been good and fine if the SJW’s would have shut up about LGBT in OW and let blizzard do their thing, now it seems like all the forum crying made them reveal soldier as gay, not the organic plan they had.

2 Likes

because gamers be homophobes

I am not against Soldier being gay, I am for Mercy being straight. That’s my story and I am stickin’ to it.

in the past century a plethora of drastic changes happened, its shell shock from generations slowly adapting.

Because the devs made him gay for attention. He was never meant to be gay (unlike tracer), but just all of a sudden he’s gay.

Play hero for multiple years, become attached to hero, random day comes where that perception of the hero you got attached to is completely different from what you imagined.

Yeah none would get upset bro.

1 Like

But all the real people that come out as gay also previously existed. You don’t know someone is gay the second the come into existence.

There are a bunch of Overwatch characters whose romantic relationships we know nothing about. Everyone just assumes they are straight by default. Doesn’t mean they are. Just like real people.

How is he completely different? Has his personality changed? His sense of duty? If the exact same scene had showed him having been in a previous relationship with a woman, would you call him a different person? Why does his love interest’s gender change who he is?

If you can’t relate to him loving a man, just relate to him loving a person. You’re getting caught up on a minor detail, claiming it changes everything, when really it doesn’t.

Your “understanding” is noted.

How I’ve come to understand it is that people had this headcanon going on. They had assumed a bunch of stuff about Soldier, and his vibe, what he represented, etc, was the culmination of all that.

Him being gay then ruined that in some way.

Imo. That’s like a weak headcanon. Like if I’m constructing this character in my head, their sexuality wouldn’t change them as a person outside of it at all.

Nothing Soldier ever did, or ever said, or anything like that, contradicts him being gay. No lore was undermined or contradicted through this reveal. Only people’s personal headcanons.

Then they feel it was “forced.” Some people say it should’ve been sooner, some say it should’ve been a “bigger” deal or all kinds of stuff. It all relates to some abstract subjective feeling they have.

Is it right or wrong? Shrug. Case to case basis.

People going extreme on this stuff is yikes.

Ehh

1 Like

If your discussion revolves around the “normalcy” of something it’s not a discussion worth having tbh. What a simple minded way of looking at things…

Soldier being gay isn’t forced, but rather extremely tacked on cause of bad story telling at the moment it was revealed.

1 Like

Not for it, not against it. It’s a game. It affects me absolutely none. He will still do the same damage.

It’s just the timing and everything. I don’t mind that he is gay. I just find it stupid that they decided to announce this after the game has been out for 3 YEARS. You can’t just turn a character gay like that. To expect straight people that have played said character for many years, people that connected with said character and looked at him as an idol to accept him to be gay now. It just isn’t going to happen. You wouldn’t have liked that either if they had done that the other way around.

1 Like

I don’t find it stupid at all. They said previously multiple heroes on the roster were LGBTQ etc. That was previous to many hero introductions. Yeah, lore progresses slowly. That sucks.

I don’t see how this being done sooner would have helped anything. What about those totally oblivious to the lore that just play the game for the game? Does it matter if they find out in 6 months if he’s gay or in 4 years?

You introduce a hero and you’re like “this one is gay and fabulous and whatever” and people be like “YO SHOVING IT DOWN MY THROAT MAN” etc. Where do you draw the line? And the line is different for all people. So… Wtf?

In the end, it’s not big deal. I had no reason to assume Soldier was gay, straight, or sexual in any way. He could be totally asexual for all I know. Dm. Sexuality doesn’t play into how I perceive and relate to people much at all.

Soldier was looking at the picture of him and Vincent in Reflections.

That comic came out 2 years ago

2 Likes