Sexuality, Religion & Political Views in Gaming

Not really–Michael Chu confirmed multiple LGBT heroes before Tracer’s reveal (before the game even launched, iirc). They also doubled-down on it.
I mean, I was referring to how it is now. but go off I guess.

4 Likes

But see, you are just picking and choosing what you think should be included and is acceptable to you. And then stating other things to be left out.
That could be viewed as being insensitive to the groups you left out.

2 Likes

They were only examples. Blizzard can add whatever they want. I don’t care. It’s just that people shouldn’t make a big fuss about it.

2 Likes

See, you’d think that. But then people need to spam the forums with ten million borderline-to-horrendously homophobic topics. Or reply to those who just make a “thanks for having Soldier revealed gay, this really made me happy because (x) :)” threads with “SHUT UP”.

6 Likes

so it’s important to know widows and anas sexuality because their familial and home relationships matter because they failed but not tracer who has an active home and familial relationship?
Also, bi and trans people exist. Ana and widow are not confirmed straight.

5 Likes

Humans are humans, and will never not be humans.

Saying there shouldn’t be politics in games is like saying there shouldn’t be politics in movies, television, books, music etc. It’s an absurd statement.

12 Likes

I’d say most people who wanted another LGBT reveal were perfectly content keeping things in Story Discussion/the megathread besides non-forum regulars who don’t know those things exist but just wanted to tell the devs/writers “cool job!” But no we need ten gorillion “MY soldier 76 is NOT gay” threads.

Exactly.

10 Likes

Didn’t know that tbh.

If you don’t want to have a convoluted reason for why Pharah even exists (or an even more convoluted reason as for Widow is how she is now), then yes.

Ever heard of maximum parsimony or maximum likelihood? When assuming things, you better adhere to one of those principles (preferably the second).

1 Like

adoption isn’t hard. Bisexuality isn’t convoluted. tracer has a complicated story. why is complication bad for either of these other women?

whats the likelihood of a talking monkey, sentient robots protesting for rights, time traveling pilots, healing through beams, turning into shadows and mist?
Sure, being gay is the unlikely thing in this world… as if. It’s bigotry that you take such issue with this over any other thing in the overwatch universe.

5 Likes

Haha no. Video games are as legitimate a form of art as any other piece of media and and art is well within its rights exploring controversial topics.

That being said, Soldier being announced as gay being controversial is adbsurd and stupid in the first place bc if it happened with a straight character no one would care. The reason we see these figures as controversial can be changed with media representation and yeah it’s gonna offend homophobes. No not every piece of media that includes a character other than the milquetoast characters the FPS genre has long been plagued with will include literally all demographics and that’s ok.

Not being able to include everyone is not a reason to exclude everyone, and if that’s the argument you’re making we shouldn’t have characters at all, but boring as hell grey blocks because as soon as you include literally any type of character, you introduce a demographic(s) and run the risk of exclusion

This is one of the most convoluted and nonsensical excuses for media exclusion I’ve ever heard.

11 Likes

Stay salty lmao

(20 chars)

3 Likes

97 percent and the baby makers. The standard of biology.

2 Likes

We don’t care about them. Trash

Not to mention, when one considers video games as an art form, and one realizes that art itself is frequently political, there’s no reason for political commentary NOT to be in video games. It’s a sign of the art of video games evolving and maturing.

If anything, it’s odd that politics don’t come up in video games more often.

All that being said … I find it odd to call sexuality and identity politics. To anyone not that identity, it’s politics. To anyone who IS that identity, you’re talking about someone’s god damn life.

12 Likes

Not my fault you can’t make baby right. Golden. Standard.

4 Likes

Good thing we have science!

I don’t equate someone’s sexuality as inherently political, but people do. Overwatch as a whole is a very political game tho

3 Likes

You know what I’m tired. I’m so tired of this stupid crap right here. I’m so sorry that there are gay characters in Overwatch, I’m so sorry you can’t handle that we exist, and get so damned mad about us wanting a modicum of representation. I know it’s so hard for you to live your life knowing we’re out there.

My advice to you OP is get over it adapt to it except it. Because we aren’t going anywhere, and we will be seen in more and more media. Get with the times or keep crying because at this point I really don’t care anymore.

The rest of you who think this is SJW, Leftist pandering can join him because seriously it’s time you all go and screw yourselves. You are all terrible people and I hope you can learn to change your narrow minded views of the world at large. If not get out of the way so rest of humanity can actually progress without having you all slow things down just because it’s not what you like.

13 Likes

If we do there would be no reason to keep you guys around

2 Likes

Comment is withdrawn