Sexuality, Religion & Political Views in Gaming

Should not even be included in video games. Especially in a game as popular as Overwatch. It just causes unnecessary issues.
These are sensitive subjects and a game like OW is a global game. A global game that is played by people of different cultures, races, ages, sexes, sexual preferences, political views, religious beliefs, etc. Different people from all around the world have different things they are sensitive to. Adults and children alike.
These types of things are best left out of the more popular video games that are trying to appeal to a wide global audience.

Including these things for the sake of being PC could be interpreted as being insensitive to certain people that might get offended by these things.
Regardless of how progressive the world is in this day and age.

And trying to cater to everyone, including things that will represent this group or that group, just comes off as manufactured and forced more than anything.
But i guess any publicity (good or bad) is good publicity.

115 Likes

No more straight people allowed in my games.

90 Likes

Exactly.

Anyways Soldier: 76 is gay.

Here’s the thing: Overwatch, and video games in general, are a form of art. Weird statement at first, but true–they are creative works. There is no reason why art needs to be bereft of sexuality, religion, and politics. Some of the best art works include it.

But, really. It’s Overwatch. A game that prides itself on this diversity–race, sexuality, etc. I think it’s HILARIOUS and ignorant to say that it doesn’t belong in Overwatch when Overwatch is:
a) founded on a diverse cast
b) inherently political. Um the Omnic crisis??? A really, really obvious parallel to the treatment of marginalized groups??? Hello???
Anyways.

Soldier: 76 is gay

79 Likes

Well i guess that means no more straight people ether then, everyone shall be a round glob, then again the square ones wouldn’t feel included.

40 Likes

If we want to help stamp out homophobia, it’s necessary to offend homophobes.

72 Likes

But how big is the glob? You can’t make it too small otherwise it’s trying to make fat globs feel bad, wait it can’t be too big either, as then the thin ones will feel like they aren’t healthy enough.

3 Likes

That’s gotta be the quote of the year right there…

16 Likes

You put it bluntly, which I respect, but it’s true: walking on eggshells around hateful people–hateful towards ANY demographic–and coddling them is not going to make any meaningful change.

33 Likes

Maybe, if we make a diverse cast of characters, with everyone being different in their own way, everybody will feel included.

4 Likes

Let’s not forgot about the color and density representation too.

3 Likes

So approximately 8 billion heroes for each individual in the population.

Actually then animals wouldn’t be represented, that’s going to be a problem.

1 Like

You wouldn’t know they were straight or gay if they didn’t provide it.

8 Likes

Funny thing is, they are clearly avoiding what can be great art. And that is making lovers between heroes. You know why? Cause that is twice amount of controversy and can really wreck the fan base.
So art? Nah they dont have the guts for that

Ok, but why stop with sexuality and race then? Go all in.
Lets make Mercy a Muslim. Zarya a Communist. etc, etc.
If the goal is to cater to everyone, then just including races and sexuality is the tip of the iceberg. people of different political views and religious backgrounds are being left out.

8 Likes

And this, dear children
http://assets.stickpng.com/thumbs/586b8134b6fc1117b60b27a7.png
This is a slippery slope fallacy.

It’s like when people say “we got a gay man, what’s next? someone who’s into animals?”
Real-world religions and political ideologies are on a vastly different plane than sexuality. People fight full on wars over that sort of thing.

40 Likes

I don’t really think there’s any reason to confirm that, say, Genji and Mercy are dating. I think it’s a little late. Introducing two heroes at once and having them be dating at the start is a little different. It’s just a little off to me.

You get what I mean. I agree that politics shouldn’t play a big part in a video game, I think it should be included though. Just things like having small, large, male, female, LGBT, straight. There should be no impact on gameplay, but people shouldn’t get annoyed about there being a gay character. It should just be “cool, soldiers gay” and it’s over. Nothing to do with gameplay. Just little things that make each character different. It just shouldn’t really matter.

2 Likes

Interestingly enough, before Tracer was established as gay, this here wasn’t the case. Soemone’s sexuality wasn’t on the order except of those few examples where it’s needed to explain basic story stuff (like, how can Widow kill her husband if she doesn’t have one? => has to be married, or how can Pharah even exist if Ana didn’t have a straight relationship at one point in time?

Thing is, in every franchise ever, people fantasize about sexuality and ships of the characters. Yet in Overwatch some of those people seem adamant that it be put in the game as well, while others nicely keep to tumblr, deviantart or wherever they post their ideas about it. :thinking:

10 Likes

funny how threads like this only pop up when queer people are revealed. sexuality shouldn’t be included in the game: widow shouldn’t have had a husband, pharah shouldn’t exist because she’s a testament to ana’s sexuality

18 Likes

they don’t have to list out the heroes and sexualities. to be not straight isn’t to be gay. A tweet saying “no one in the overwatch roster is straight” means, no one is straight, not that everyone is gay.

1 Like