Server Error and Kicked from Comp and Couldn't Rejoin

I was in a competitive and was kicked due to a “Server Error.” I immediately logged back on with no problems and clicked on “Rejoin Match.”

Instead of rejoining the match, I lost SR and was put into a whole new competitive game.

I just came on here to post about the exact same thing happening to me. There was an “Unexpected Server Error” which kicked me out of a competitive game and crashed my Overwatch as a whole. When I got back into the game I was unable to “Rejoin Match”. When I went to the competitive game section it said “Welcome To Season 10” like I had never played as of yet during the season, and then it proceeded to put me into a different game.

I came here to make this post as well. I actually did not lose SR, but the game I got kicked from ended in a draw, so that may be why? My rejoin button did eventually appear, but when I clicked it, it threw me into a whole new comp game. I have video of my issue that I can send to a mod. I don’t want to post it publicly because it shows my desktop files at times.

I actually lost competitive points but won the game I was put into which mostly made up for it.

bumping this so this can be acknowledged for Blizz.

This is happening to me as well and i love overwatch to bits but if this keeps happeneing i can’t play it only happenes on overwatch nothing else

Bumping for answers.

1 Like

This Keeps happening i really need a solution cause this is only happening on overwatch on any other game this does not happen its keeps happeneing everytime i win one round of a competitive game but when i am losing i always stay connected.

While it has only happened to me once (as of yet thankfully), this should be addressed quickly as it could cause temporary bans from playing competitive due to “leaving” games repeatedly.

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Rejoining a game is only possible during certain phases of the game. If you leave a game either during the pre-game or during the first minute of the game, the game will automatically cancel (remember the 10 second rule does not apply to the leaver, but as a warning to other players that the match will cancel). You can rejoin the match during the initial hero selection screen if you are lucky enough to quickly reconnect though.

Otherwise, you can only rejoin any-time after one-minute of match time has passed up until the match completes. However you only have two minutes to do so without penalty. If you rejoin a match after two-minutes, you will still automatically be marked with a loss an be penalized with a -50 SR cut and a ten-minute suspension. This rule ensures that no one can abusive the leaver system by attempting to return to a match after deliberately leaving in order to avoid such penalties. Furthermore leaving three or more times in a single match will result in an automatic penalty. If you fail to return to a match by the time it ends normally (regardless of match result) you will be penalized.

Except that isn’t the issue. In my case at least, it was mid match on a King of the Hill game. Map two of three specifically. Far past the initial hero select time and well before the end of the match. I was queued up with a friend who was in the match for another 5 or so minutes before it ended.

I’m aware that the servers are unable to discern between intentional leaving and uncontrollable disconnects (due to a server problem or being client side or a force of nature, etc.), but at least what I’m asking is for the problem to be fixed and NOT keep causing games and matches to crash which could lead to penalties and/or SR loss.

I see your point but it has essentially nothing to do with the actual problem at hand.

2 Likes

happened to me on hanamura, it was a sure win, I was popping off as well and was sure to get a potg, but it kicked me out of the match and the server as well and said “Server error occurred” and I rejoined the server quickly and it showed the “Rejoin” button, I clicked it and it didn’t do anythingm I clicked it a lot of times for about 20 secs and nothing has yet to happen, so i tried to restart battle net and overwatch then I tried reopening battle net and there was a queue time to get in about 6 mins, and so it was already too late to even finish the match and I looked back at replays and my team ended up losing and I lost sr

1 Like

Can confirm has been happening to me multiple times today as well.

At one point in one of my games 3 people from my team and 2 from the enemy team disconnected and a few later came back.

I initially didn’t think anything of it but it has happened multiple times today with me being affected a few times as well. Ping is fine, internet is fine but the game disconnects you to the main screen with the rejoin match function not responding.

Then when you close the game and attempt to log back in you get placed in a long wait list.

Essentially what the mod has answered above is completely unrelated to this issue and is most likely just a copy paste answer.

Would really like some clarification as to how this is going to be handled. Copping massive losses in SR and Bans as a result of what is a server issue on blizzards end is rough.

At the very least the game should cancel without affecting anyone in such a scenario.

Not to be rude but did someone necro’d this post? I get it’s happening recently but this post is from 2018.

Oh i didnt even notice that. Just saw it at the top of the tech support forum and assumed it was about the currnet issues.

Ah. Well it happens. It doesn’t help that suggested topics also tend to show old posts as well at times.

HI i joined comp game and after a min it kicked me for “Unexpected Server Error” it logged me but i couldnt rejoin match it didnt take my sr. I still saw the chat i couldnt write …it happend to me 2 times :confused:

This thread is 5 months old. If you’re experiencing the message “unexpected server error” please post in #bug-report