Server error and i receive punishment?

I’M VERY THANKFUL TO SERVERS, CRASHED CONSTANTLY AND I’M PUNISHED BY YOUR PROBLEM.

“SERVER ERROR”, “DISCONNECTED BY BNET”

YOU DO THE BEST IN MATCH, PLAY HARD, HELP YOUR TEAM, AND IF SERVER KICK YOU OR DECIDE TO CRASH, GG YOUR PROGRESS WAS LOST.

NOW I’M HERE LIKE A DUMB, WAITING FOR 19 HOURS WAITING TO SUSPENSION ENDS TO PLAY AGAIN.

WHAT IS DIFFICULTY TO IMPLEMENT JUST A SIMPLE WAY TO DETECT WHO GOT DISCONNECT BY THE SERVER OR NETWORK PROBLEM, INSTEAD OF GIVING THAT PLAYER SUSPENSION FOR MANY HOURS… ISN’T HARD BRO

AND YOUR TEAM JUST MASS REPORT YOU, BECAUSE “YOU LEFT” THE MATCH WHEN THE SERVER GOT AN ERROR OR YOU GET NETWORK ISSUE.

Nice Servers!!!

Mod Edit: Removed inappropriate language.

1 Like

same thing shows up, when you get DC due internet connection…

2 Likes

That is not on the server but it is reported from your game client when your connection is failing. All disconnections will be penalized appropriately.

1 Like

Jesus, how many games are you quitting that you have to wait 19 hours?? That’s wild.

He is probably serving the 24-hour suspension, which takes as little as four games to trigger. One more leaver violation will likely trigger the season ban.

1 Like

I’m not quitting, every time i got random server error/game crashes. Yesterday my game crashed two times, same reason “Your render device was lost” and another was Windows blue-screen of panic, was technical problem. I never left from competitive match because i want, the reason i love play competitive is because competitive rules, you have chance both from attack/defending on both sides.

This is the problem, i’m not leaving because i want, i getting random disconnections, game crashes and some server problem. Devs can make an system to detect this? WSA (aka WinSock) return status code when you have issues while send/recv to/from sockets in network, instead of add instantly ban, why not give 3 warnings first?

Today ban for example (that trigger 19h ban), in middle of match i got giant red waring icon, then my game back to main menu, i hit multiple times REJOIN MATCH and game just don’t put me back on match… After match ends i able to REJOIN TO MATCH then game considered that i leave by my choice, but in fact THIS ISN’T TRUE I DIDN’T LEFT BECAUSE I WANT, I GOT NETWORK ISSUES

So people spammed in chat “report him, because is a leaver”
Some days ago, my friend got server crash in midle of competitive match, him loose many SR because was server fault, including many minutes of ban.

Note: These server problems is occuring specially on South America/Brazil server, many people having same issue.

1 Like

Online games cannot tell the difference between a legitimate disconnection versus someone using a lag switch or deliberating disconnecting their router in order to avoid penalties.

Your suspension ARE your warnings. Take the time when suspended to test your connection and try to figure out why you may be disconnecting. Note this may not just be your own equipment but a problem with your ISP or your ISP’s network structure.

The fixed 50 SR penalties come from the leaver violation, not from reports. Reports will only apply to those who sabotage games (not by leaving) or being abusive to other players and those will result in complete suspension from the game entirely, not just Competitive Play.

2 Likes

I can say that isn’t true at all. I’m mainly C# developer and i’m focusing my knowledge on network protocols and yes i can say exists in fact an way to distinguish from an gracefully disconnect to network issue.

When user naturally decide to stop playing usually in all multiplayer games, they send an packet to server and tell to the server “hey, will stop play now” then server destroy everything that is owned by this player and repond to client “ok, i got you request”

Same for network issue, server usually keep receiving keepalive packets telling to the server “hello server, i’m still alive, don’t disconnect me” when usually you have some trouble in yout connect your game client stop sending these keepalive packets. That make server think “well maybe was an time desync or client just not playing anymore” at this point server keeps player data references in cache during some time before server consider that player was left to the game.

In overwatch the fact is after you disconnect from game, the server instantly predict that player decided to stop playing, in some match this isn’t exactly true, since WHEN you have lucky to reconnect (before waiting many hours untill Bnet stop blocking “Play” button saying that overwatch still executing even if isn’t) you can check your stats in match, everything is resetted.

About issues with server, yeah, exists many issues specially troubles in SA server (in location i play) also since yesterday, have now an maintenance that caused many players disconnected many times from every match, including me that triggered 19h of suspension.

When you pull off your network cable and in fact you have network connections everything is stored in windows logs and applications can track these network changes in realtime, if you put an invalid IPV4/IPV6 setting this is tracked by windows logs and also applications can track this in realtime, so ins’t “IMPOSSIBLE” to tell the difference between network failure or user itself.

About player hit X windows button or just press ALT+F4, every software can be cancelled to closing (and make windows prevent closing the program) the Windows in their C++ api call many finalizers for that program, also many online games dispatch functions to tell the server that uses decided to stop playing for his choice, like i said above, also this is tracked by overwatch, when you hit ALT+F4 this don’t make game close instantly, keeps running in background process finalizing many stuff and releasing system resources (that make BNet stuck on Play button disabled for some seconds).

Anyway, exists many things that devs can do to “tell difference” between an standard disconnection to user forcing that, so they did in lazy way, just punish player and is that.
Like in competitve matches, only stuff you need is just Win to keep increasing your rank. No matter if you did an amazing play, or has best player, if you Loose you rank will decay. That was an lazy way to determines how players will play.

Why do the other five players get penalized when someone on your team leaves and you lose?

Not that surprising. Bnet has zero refund and accountability when it comes to stuff like this. Even when their servers were under Ddos attacks to the point it crashed near constantly and they put up a tiny warning in the launcher about server instability. They still wouldn’t either shut Competitive down or refund points.

Heck not even a warning in game… just a tiny foot note in the launcher after the issue had persisted for hours. It’s one of the reasons I find it really hard to get too into the competitive scene as there are so many cheap ways to lose points but so hard to win them.

1 Like

Principal Designer Scott Mercer has explained this:

Source: Overwatch Forums Developer Post Archives

The reason why Competitive is not disabled for DDoS attacks is because those only typically involve one specific datacenter. Competitive would have to be disabled worldwide and in that case is more disruptive to more players. Remember, when you disconnect and cannot get back into your current match, investigate, troubleshoot, and resolve before attempting to play again.

Remember skill rating is not “points” to obsess over and you recover skill rating naturally by completing games.

And this is why overwatch is trash…

Getting one single disconnection and you lost all you hard work for nothing

stupid bs system.

Idc if people can abuse it remove this bs system.

Also not only that but cancerous smurfs…

I have all the rights to insult this stupid system or the smurfs.

1 Like

Then I suggest you better fix your connection.

If it was server-sided more people would be getting this problem, which isn’t happening.

Try to play other online games to see if the problem is within your network infrastructure, but if it happens only with Overwatch there’s some kind of communication error between the game client and your network.

Anyway, the easiest way to fix problems like this are to change ISP or getting a better connection with your current one if possible.

And yet the entire point of Competitive mode is to well be competitive. Ranking up and improving your numbers is about the only real thing that separates the mode from QP or arcade. It’s a bit silly to say the numbers don’t matter when it’s the whole point of the game mode.

It also doesn’t hurt you lose 50 sr for a DC while you might win 30ish for a win. Having to win two matches to gain back the lost SR, plus Endorsement levels, a temp ban and possibly longer ban if it happens too often.

And all this because the game servers won’t work, it totally ignores the times where it is legitimately the users fault due to bad internet (Which is most of the US btw, let alone the world) or other user error.

Never mind the issue of losing twice in a match. Not sure if it’s still a thing but a while ago if you got DC you lost 50 SR instantly. If you got back into the match and lost, you lost even more SR. To the point there was zero incentive to try and get back in a match you DC from.

1 Like

Impossible. The servers NEVER have issues. Just ask blizz they will ALWAYS say it is client side.

1 Like

seems like they would just punish the leaver and the other five not lose or gain anything

Yeah i know, but on SA server have contantly DDOS attacks, and many players keep getting disconnect from server by very random moments, but devs is blind and don’t see that. Literally SA server is abandoned, including the forums.

I tried play BF3, BF4, Minecraft, all works no disconnection, no high latency in random moments. That feels me think only problem is server-side.

Like current new season, still having some random moments that keeps rolling back each player position, but latency stil LOW, so servers having some issue but for blizz their servers are perfectly fine.

That’s funny because i played for literally half o day (in same day) Dead by Daylight, and got NO problems, no rollback, no high latency.

Also i repeat again, many people having this issue in SA server, so is only fault by all SA players? They must investigate, but they don’t do.

Also for that reason they changed two consecutive times, servers on SA, old region was closed and they opened new region. Maybe is issue about new host, only investigation and tests will say, but they will not do, because is more easy punish players.

They can do like in Paladins, if someone hit ALT+F4 to close game or whatever else, after you reconnect to game, the server forces your to reconnect to that match, don’t need to click to Rejoin. Also in overwatch is wrong, 1 minute for people be able to rejoin is horrible