Server down for a while 3 hours ago

I played rank with a friend and we couldn’t enter the game because it said we cannot connect to server. This made us suspended and we lost points. I checked with my other friends and they also had the same problem. It did turn back on after few minutes but that still counted as a lost and leaving the game. This isn’t our problem but the server, there is no reason for us to lose points.

What if it was the server’s fault?

Often we hear mentions of one off issues when we discuss penalties. “What happens if the servers crash or if Blizzard’s ISP has a problem?” or something of that nature. This does happen from time to time, but it’s pretty rare. The system is built to take that sort of thing into account, and periodic issues like this shouldn’t tank your skill rating too much. This is why the first few penalties are lenient compared to later ones. Over time even the Skill Rating drops will even out as you keep playing normal matches. As long as you aren’t intentionally leaving or having tech issues, this shouldn’t affect your account too much.

Source: Overwatch Technical Issues, SR Loss, and Leaver Penalties

You can add feedback on Blizzard’s policy to the developers in #competitive-discussion.