Server Connectivity Issues

Yes obviously it’s an Australia thing.

I contacted support and they tried to tell me it was because a submarine broke a cable 2 days ago…? Despite re-iterating multiple times that the event was only 8 hours old. I’m not sure if they were trying to tell me that because of repairs to that there’s massive service outage but in general it seems pretty frustrating and unlikely - the entire message was “it’s not our fault, we can’t fix it. too bad”

Same problem, PS4, Auckland, NZ

That broken cable affected my internet as I have fibre and I had major lag issues, but I was still able to play overwatch completely fine but with 350 ping from my crap internet. My internet went bad Wednesday and was normal by Thursday morning and overwatch worked fine throughout those days. The server issues only started on Friday (today) so I don’t really understand why the servers have gone to trash after the cable was (allegedly) fixed.

1 Like

Same here in melbourne :C

The underwater cable thing doesn’t make sense for me either, it only started today. Plus I can play everything else fine, with no lag. It’s only Overwatch, so it’s Overwatch’s servers. Plus there is more than one underwater cable to Australia, like Perth to Singapore. What cable got taken out? This seems to be affecting all of Australia, as evidenced by replies here. It’s not just the cable.

Hey folks, we’re investigating this issue. As always with disconnects, traceroutes or MTRs are very helpful. I’ll post more information when we have it, thanks for your patience, cheers.

5 Likes

Both my friend and I are having the same issue both in Perth Aus

I’m having this issue in Texas, U.S. It’s been happening for over a week now and has costed me several competitive games and I’ve received two bans already!

Finally got 1 game where everyone connected. Havent got back in since that one though. In 5 tries i had: 2 error to join match. 3 joins but wihtout full teams so the games got cancelled.

Having this issue on PS4 too. East coast, NZ. Spark ISP. Can’t get into many, if any games. Especially as a group. Dropped SR too after being kicked.

Doesn’t add up being an isp issue. Should be widespread across all platforms for one? Why would it only be PS4? played PC earlier and it was perfectly fine, and my XB1 friends have no issues.
Secondly, the undersea cable was fixed early Thursday, I played all day Thursday and had no issues when that cable was cut (which was also only isolated to specific internet providers in both NZ and AUS). This has come up since the maintenance. My guess is something clashed in the server or something is affecting the server from the maintenance.
Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ps4 service still down as of 4am sydney, australia. Sad times, friday night and saturday morning are really the only times i get to play as well :frowning:

1 Like

Just as a friendly reminder to everyone, Blizzard is able to use connection tests such as Traceroutes or WinMTR tests to help pool and map out where a connection issue can exist. This can enable them to reach out to the appropriate network providers to fix the issue. I will leave the detailed instructions for a WinMTR test below.

WinMTR instructions:

1. Download WinMTR from http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/ (Console players need a Windows Desktop Computer connected to the same network as their console to do this.)
  2. Unzip the WinMTR.zip file to the Desktop.
  3. Open the WinMTR folder and select the 32 or 64 bit version. Choose whichever one corresponds to your version of Windows.
  4. Run the WinMTR.exe
  5. Type the IP address you want to trace in the “Host” field. To get the correct IP you will actually need to open up the game and go Practice Vs AI or Quick Play and if you are on PC hit Ctrl+Shift+N and it will bring up the ingame network diagnostic graph, or go to Video > Options > Display Network Performance Graph if you are on any platform including Console. In the top left corner is the IP address you want to run WinMTR to.
    Network Graph
    note When looking at the IP it will show up ingame as something like 12.34.56.78:12345. You will want to leave the last 5 digits and the colon at the end off and the IP you want to use is just the 12.34.56.78
  6. Once you notice the connection issue while playing, play for about 6 more minutes, minimize the game and click on “Stop”.
  7. Click on “Copy text to clipboard”, then return to this forum thread.
  8. Type two sets of four squiggly lines and then paste the contents of the WinMTR test between: ~~~~ Paste WinMTR Test Results Here ~~~~

If in the event you can’t even connect to Overwatch and get into any game mode at all, please use one of the following IP addresses based on your geographical region:

• US West - 24.105.30.129
  • US Central - 24.105.62.129
  • Brazil - 54.207.107.12
  • Europe - 185.60.114.159
  • Europe - 185.60.112.157
  • Korea - 211.234.110.1
  • Taiwan - 203.66.81.98
1 Like

once u notice the issue play for 6 more minutes? the problem is getting into games…

1 Like

Sorry about that, give me a second to upload a list of fallback IP address for those who can’t connect at all.

Okay check post above, I have the fallback IP addresses listed.

1 Like

Just another friendly reminder this is what Blizzard is paid to do themselves, it’s not our job to fix your broken system. This isn’t the first time and judging by your response won’t be the last time. Why do we have to do things you they are paid to do, seems like a lack of commitment from Blizzard to want us to troubleshoot for them when they’ve received countless millions from us.

It clearly isn’t isolated to an RSP or even a continent, purely pathetic. As long as their precious PC version is working I guess, Console Master Devs ftw. Other game companies on console never stuff up this bad hahahahaha. I thought we had the simple systems?

1 Like

Sorry you feel this way, but Blizzard (nor any game company) does not control the world wide web, and it is impossible for anyone to monitor every single network line that makes up the internet. A problem like this is very likely a broken network line or a malfunctioning hub, which means a lot of investigating to find the problem and then they have to contact the appropriate network provider. Things can be expedited by helping out with tests like I mentioned above. I have no doubt they will fix the issue eventually, but things can be solved faster if any assistance any player can provide.

I’m from Perth on TPG and also have the same issue. Am eventually able to connect to Quickplay because it doesn’t need a full game, but competitive isn’t happening. Either I get errors connecting, or I join the game and there are several players missing. One thing I noticed is that the network stats/ping no longer appears in the corner despite it being on in the options.

2 Likes

Judging by this being the second time i’ve seen it happen in the last couple of weeks and both being right after maintenance it’s more likely their own system than an outside source. This happened a few weeks back and the problem is exactly the same, join game(so no broken network line) then multiple people kicked though has not happened to me(so no malfunctioning hub) and joining games is a 2% chance of actually connecting to a lobby even after it pops up ‘game found’ with a 1% chance of the lobby being full and staying full. Seems a bit strange that they would experience so many ‘outside sources’ breaking when no other game does. I honestly don’t remember a single game on console having this many dramas and i’ve been playing online since PS2.

2 Likes

Do you live in Austrailia? I believe the previous incident you refer to was due to an underwater cable cut affecting that area back then.

Each game hosts their own game servers in different geographical locations, what affects one service may not affect another. Again, connection tests like the WinMTR test help with this.

Yes I do, unlike others in New Zealand(same servers) also experiencing the issue. Strange that’s what someone was told by Blizzard customer support was the cause this time around occurring 2 or 3 days ago now when I was playing fine along with many others last night before the maintenance period.

I guess whenever there’s a maintenance notice from now on we can expect a submarine cable to be cut.

2 Likes