"Server Closed Due to Unexpected Error"

I received this right now in a comp match. The rest of the team was able to stay in. Is this associated with the extremely long que times? Earlier I could not join a comp game. I was in que for 25 minutes (comp classic in arcade) and eventually played quickplay classic

Are you experiencing problems with the North American or the Oceania servers? I don’t see any reports for long queues or server issues in the region for this forum at this moment – there were some login issues earlier. It’s still possible something is happening outside their office hours.

I had this issue all day yesterday too. It was on OCE servers as part of NA.

U.S. West server. I live about 7 miles from it. I used winMTR and found huge issues on server side. Specifically with 137.221.68.83 where the ping would shoot up to 1200+. This issue isnt with other blizzard games just overwatch.
I enabled the netgraph during que and saw the connection kept stopping. I checked my router setting and found that I couldnt connect to host at times. I flushed the DNS cache from my pc and reset the DNS server ips within my router.
The issue continues and its only in competitive games that I get the “server closed due to unexpected error” I played quickplay classic for about 2 hours in the early morning with no issues. This is only effecting comp games and I took an sr hit from these “server closed” issues The ping looks a lot better now but still high

WinMTR Statistics

WinMTR statistics

Host % Sent Recv Best Avrg Wrst Last
192.168.0.1 0 789 789 0 0 59 0
142.254.177.25 0 789 789 3 10 72 9
agg59.snaucaos02h.socal.rr.com 0 789 789 6 12 73 13
72.129.1.40 0 789 789 7 15 71 15
agg27.tustcaft01r.socal.rr.com 0 789 789 9 16 75 17
ae-5-0.cr0.chi10.tbone.rr.com 0 789 789 6 16 78 16
66.109.5.241 0 789 789 7 16 112 12
66.109.9.161 0 789 789 7 17 95 11
ae1-br01-eqla1.as57976.net 0 789 789 7 23 975 14
137.221.68.83 0 789 789 6 15 119 9
24.105.30.129 0 789 789 7 14 70 12

Your connection issue is starting in your home with a high ping beheeen the computer and modem or router at 59ms. This should be less than 10ms. As the connection continues through your ISP’s network you pick up more lag, up to 112ms. The 900ms ping on Blizzard’s network is the server ignoring WinMTR data as a defense mechanism against attacks. You can ignore that because it’s a false positive. If it was truly that bad, you’d never be able to connect in the first place. I don’t see any evidence of pings in the 1200ms range in this test, but I don’t doubt they show up when the servers reject WinMTR traffic.

I understand you think that but other people I am playing with are having the same issue. I have a degree in computer science. This is neither client side or provider side. Look at others on the forum that have the same issue. Its a daily thing and happens in the evening. Im the only one on my router besides phones. You ignored your high 1200 data and say its my router/modem. My router has protection from frequent IP detection such as DoS protection. What I posted was from an hour of usage without playing the game.
Would you like me to post my wireshark stats? Blizzard servers are having issues. Its neither client or provider otherwise people that im playing with in norther california wouldnt have the same issue. They told me in game the latency shot up to 1000 same with mine at the same time. I asked the other team, they also mentioned lag. This leads to server disconnects which are only happening in comp. Its not happening in quickplay. If Blizzard needs an IT guy, feel free to forward this. I need money right now due to obvious reasons.

I can only address the data you provided. If you are experiencing 1200ms pings at some point, they did not occur during the test you provided.

I think it’s important to remember that while some players are posting issues with connections, and those are generally ISP or peering partner of ISP causes, millions are playing without issues. No one posts in #technical-support unless they have a problem, so of course every post contains an issue. On that note, Southern California had a widespread peering outage over the last couple of days, which affected peering with several ISPs across the state, and some in neighboring states.

Naturally, every game you play will have someone lagging: whether it’s due to everyone being home and overstressing their modem/router, or an entire city overstressing an ISP’s network. Most ISP residential networks weren’t built for everyone to be online streaming stuff at the same time. And if we’re talking about the USA specifically, our ISP infrastructure is embarrassingly bad.

Gonna let this comment from the staff explain the rest:

I don’t work at Blizzard. I haven’t seen them brush off actual server errors, but I don’t have first-hand access to their monitoring tools to prove anything. Since this is starting to seem less like a request for help, and more like feedback on how Blizzard operates their game and servers, I recommend using the ticket system to communicate with the employees.

So what your saying is if I provided an external third party to investigate this issue they will not find the same?
This is a request for help. Its game breaking issues. Unless they are fixed I can not play.
The ticket system does not work as intended. Sometimes ticket replies take weeks or years.

I already evaluated your test results and you don’t agree, so I believe your next logical option is to address your concerns about what you believe is happening with their staff, using their ticket system.

Every company is busy with employees trying to handle tasks from home that they normally have running through a dedicated office and system.