Seriously need MMR reset here is yet another replay code

Placements make sure your MMR does not misalign and stupid stuff like that.
MMR misalignments happen and they result in you being in the wrong ranking and getting bad SR loss/gain (around 2-10 which barely is anything)

Your gameplay might be flawless, though in a team based game you shouldn’t only look at yourself. The point of a team is to make up for the mistakes of each other, as a Sombra you’re pretty much a support character so you’ll have to pretty much make sure your team is doing well and adjust to their playstyle.

The thought process per player is different and no change in matchmaking will be able to read minds of players.
Grouping up is the only correct solution if it’s too hard for you to adjust to random players per game, which is fairly normal and reasonable.

Resetting MMR would mean that the entire system needs to be redesigned, which would take some time… so that’s probably not something we’re even going to get before OW2 gets released.

And it’s good that you’re not using an alt account, because the way the system works is by assuming there is a new player on a new account. Meaning technically nothing is wrong with the MMR system but people are just wrongly using it and then complaining after using an alt… so i think you’re making a correct option here.

Sadly enough i don’t have time to check, i don’t think you’re wrong with unbalanced matches either really… though i don’t think the matchmaker is directly at fault since matches used to be good.
Something could’ve changed player-wise, so it would be great if Blizzard at the very least did some research and releases some data and reasoning.

1 Like

No. No, we do not.

That would just exacerbate the current problem with high tier players on smurfs playing in lower ranks.

You’d have former Masters playing against former Bronzes in the same match. It’d be utter chaos and would see people quit in droves.

2 Likes

well they have to do something…because this can not stand. It shouldn’t feel this hopeless for people of my skill level to get a better rank just because of the matchmaker. if the MMR does what it claims to do then a reset should be fine. Some people would fall and some people would rise. Let the people that fall, fall down and let the people that would rise from it actually rise. As it is right now the most people can do is just buy a second account.

I post replay after replay showing the same consistency. I have submitted gameplay to youtube coaching series.

The whole refusual to do 1 MMR reset by blizzard reminds me of that one blizzcon when someone asked blizzard if they would be willing to do classic servers for wow, when the head of blizzard replied telling the guy “no we wont and you think you want us to but trust me you wouldnt want it” Seriously telling the guy that he wouldnt want it to happen…is so egomaniacal…and then look what happened…they actually released wow classic and it became a hit.

Eventually after the reset it would fix everything. High ranking players will end up back high and lower ranking players with the skill will rise while those that truly lack skill will fall back down. But as it stands now there is no way of knowing because they refuse to reset it. If your first few seasons were bad then thats the MMR you are stuck with unless you magically can solo carry every game in a 6v6 game you are going to have an extremely hard time no matter how much higher your skill level is compared to the rest of the people in your current MMR. Not only do you have to play with skill a level higher than your current rank but sometimes you have to play with skill 2 to 3 ranks higher than the current rank you are in just to try and outplay the MMR you are stuck with. It’s nuts.

I didn’t have this problem when I played for the LA halo 2 pro games (shameless self promotion kaitaishi LOL)

3 Likes

No. It would dissolve them into the bath, temporarily deconcentrating them away from ranks they over-saturate. You would actually have a lower and more symmetrical corruption rate as the ladder rolls out, and everyone is establishing their account. Smurfing rate doesn’t overtake what we have on live now until quite some time after reset.

The rank distribution by account% are supposed to follow a normal. A reset doesn’t put bottom5% with top5% more than a few infrequent times during 1st or 2nd placements. From combinatorial group testing at N=10,000 - it takes only ~12 matches to bin people into ~300sr intervals with very high confidence.

The “bronzes with GMs” is a falsifiable myth that really hurts our chances for a reset. Does a reset solve alting and rigging? No, sadly it’s only a temporary relief. It remixes and recalibrates away your tail-end effects like runaway, queues, and wintrading.

Seriously this has all been computed and discussed many times before.
I encourage you to stay informed using the search, or elevate your mathematical and ladder modelling ability to offer technically verifiable counterpoints.

There is no well-founded structural argument (i.e. using math, say) to keep the ladder as-is. The only reasons are psychological. The reset disruption is less overall for most players and a necessary upfront cost to restore rank integrity. Content creators will babyrage that suddenly elo hell exists for them. As-if their alts weren’t part of the problem for the normies. A few entitleds will scapegoat instead of admitting they were washed/anchored way too high. And more people will leave.

Finally, a ladder reset is basically an admission of guilt, so they won’t.

As a sombra main myself recently coming back to the game its definitely tough. Not just on her but any hero, so when i saw your post i had to chime in. Ive recently done a test to see just how bad the matchmaker has become. First thing was reaching roughly masters equivalent in other fps games while on my ow break. Second was using aim labs every day.

For the third test, I play sombra in high diamond to low masters, low diamond on widow, and plat on support. So i logged into a real old account thats been in gold for seasons. Said i was gona climb it up to minimum 3000sr as sombra.

After 16hrs with a 7.78kd, 30-40 elims per 10 and same on hacks. I literally just got it to 2500 with insane frustration. Had games of 60 plus elims that would be a loss. Ive swapped to widow on a few would get 3 picks out the gate and they couldnt push etc…

What was happening on that account was the higher my stats became the higher 1 or 2 other players on the enemy team were and lower my team was. I would get masters tanks playing dps in gold etc… meanwhile my team was plat players losing going into gold or lower.

So i gave up because it is doable but its insanity. Swapped back to my main acct and climbed it from low diamond to mid easy. Then logged into here which is played with friends rarely, and climbed it again to mid diamond.

All you can do is play for fun now. We play quick play and have better matches then comp.

1 Like

MMR is generated in the short term, within just a dozen games. Resetting it would do nothing.

MMR is used for handicapping competitive matches. More information in my thread on the subject:

3 Likes

I think the KSR component is short-term, as in live/active session based. It’s based on recent performance and “intent” i.e. are you climbing and ready to carry or throwing and ready to be losers queue.

You can soft-reset KSR by logging out of bnet. It’s why stopping after the “tilt” of 2-3 losses really helps. Meanwhile, the MMR has slightly more historical anchor stats and compares against rank averages etc. MMR can get more stuck.

This is infered from the patents but involves some speculation.
So take with a grain.

1 Like

What has your replay code to do with MMR reset? It doesnt make any sense. If you make reset, it will be one huge chais with even more unbalanced games lol.

1 Like

So couple alternatives:

Fix “team mmr” and separate them into “role mmr” - just to make sure the roles are balanced - the gain will also be “balanced”.

Or

(more dramatic)
Ladder centric with weighted win SR gain - everyone starts in one pot and naturally the ones who can coordinate and have skill will climb the rank the most.
If you keep losing then you will stay in bronze, but if your better than bronze but naturally even out you might end up in Gold.

I haven’t heard anything about KSR. What does it stand for? Can you say more about it?

KSR is knapsack rating, or how much of the current 6 player team you’re expected to be. Alternatively, it’s how much weight you’re expected to “put into a bag and carry on your back”.

It’s an offset to the “default” 1/6th (16.7%) contribution. There is probably a hard min/max on the KSR (never less than 10%, never more than 50%…say). You could be knapsacked in for 33.3% of the team’s value. Meaning if you underperform (and offer up a paultry but realistic 16%), you probably lose (as the MM load-balanced around MMRs and KSRs and computed a 51/49 match or something).

So there is a subtle difference between the MMR we mostly speak of here, and the KSR. Both are known to exist in team vs. team settings, and the patents essentially refer to a KSR as as well as MMR. Also, there is a difference between the handicapping MMR we speak of and the ‘mmr’ that Kawumbaa explains from TrueSkill and Elo systems. The later is more of an sr guess, check, and chase kind of mechanic rather than a rigging mechanism.

1 Like

A big problem off the bat of an mmr reset right now is there are so many alt accounts in game currently that they would cause even large varying swings in quality of matches.

Right now mmr doesn’t need to be reset they need a way to determine it won’t become unbalanced again.

1 Like

Can you explain a bit further the “put into a bag and carry on your back” statement?

1 Like

I really dont understand why so many people have issues with smurfs/Altacc honestly. Usually the ones on the enemy team are so easily counter and the one in my team i ask what can i do for the team to win.

Usually they are 1 tricking a hero so is even easier IMO.

Im not throwing shade to anyone but if you spend that energy at getting better at the game instead of doing “experiments” and stuff im pretty sure you will be better as well.

Just my 2 cents and this is coming from someone that used to be a bronze player by the way.

KSR is the modifier above/below a 1/6th proportionement, or the share of the pie, knapsack, match. The matchmaker budgets you in around a certain skill level (MMR load-balancing) as well as a proportion of the team’s output.

You can have a match rigged for 50/50 outcome expecatation, taking place at 600sr, with 12 smurfs each pulling different MMRs that load-balance, but 1-2 of them having different KSRs as what you might call the designated carry-er or carry-ee.

So basically the System puts you with or against players that carry or are being carried? Did I understand it correctly?

1 Like

I dunno, did u? Most ppl get it on the first pass.

The simplified version: KSR is a modifier on your fraction of the team’s MMR based more on live session data rather than historical skill. It’s a more volatile MMR and just another dial they can tune and rig from. So you have two knapsacks at roughly the same height (SR), their size is about the same (MMR), and everyone’s size/weight accounts for some fraction of the knapsack (KSR). The name comes from Knapsack Problem in comp.sci, because fitting teammates of differing skills for the sake of a “close” match is a constraint satisfaction problem.

MMR works to keep people at their current rank, to make “more fair” matches. What do you think it’s supposed to do???

3 Likes

So why do you think that the OW System would do smth like that? What is their gain in it? Because if I decide to handicap you in any way, I need to have some sort of gain from that.

1 Like

A reset could still help things. Around 10-15 games (rank convergence in a total reset is different than new entrant into an established ladder). So it costs a few weird days as the ladder sorts out the inital tops from bottoms. Then you have this glorious period of like 2-3 months where ranks are more or less proper, but matches are still rigged and smurfs will still corrupt matches.

Unfortunately, the three biggest ladder issues are coupled.
No-reset, MMR-rigging, and alts. You can solve 1-2 but the QoL won’t improve for long.