Serious Q for Symmetra fans

She has very unhealthy abilities for a DPS, When her Tp was first introduced has a secondary ability i was ok with it UNTIL it was infinite, thats when it became less of a turret bomb to a support ability when she was a DPS hero.
Also her Ultimate seems more like a tank/support ultimate, i dont think a DPS needs a big wall lmao

1 Like

Fixed that for you

20 chars

5 Likes

Because she sucked. It seems to me the developers had no idea about how to rework her into an actual support, so just took the easy way out.

Which is… a shame; to be honest. Was it that hard to make photon shields work like repair packs and overheal with armor? Well, I wouldn’t know. I’m not a game designer.

Don’t get me wrong, I still love symmetra… but i can’t help but feel like she could have been so much more.

2 Likes

Sym was bad back then,Sym is bad now.Nothing really changed,you still get flamed for playing her.

She’s still very niche,the niche is just different from 2.0.

They wanted to make her better,they failed though.

2 Likes

Well, I don’t know precisely what they were aiming for, in terms of identity. But she has the potential to be a decent sustain-damage anti-tank character if they just gave her mobility and/or a defensive cooldown.

Right now she’s a close-range character without decent buffer HP, no defense, no mobility, and only niche utility through her teleporter. Her turrets are so godawful you could buff them to a colossal extent and they’d still be underpowered. She’s quite the mess.

1 Like

She was changed because the community knows how to do fantasy combat (charging forward in the open) but has no idea how to do modern combat (moving from cover to cover).

I wrote this about her, which might shed some light.

I hate what they did to her.

I would give her 3 turrets more without nerfing the actual ones really… and still would be weak af

They reworked her because non-Symmetra mains thought she was terrible (which she was tbf). I thought the first rework was really successful but apparently not enough according to people who don’t play her.

She was never broken, only terrible in the past. Now she’s actually a really great pick on some maps, which is better than what it used to be.

1 Like

I really wished they kept the shield aspect

3 Likes

Interesting. I’d go in almost the opposite direction. Buff all three turrets to do triple the damage and slowdown, but make them unable to target the same enemy so there’s only one turret against any given enemy.

Sym 2.0 will always have a special place in my heart but I know for a fact she would be bastion levels of bad if she was not changed. I actually like her current kit but it is nowhere near as good as heroes like McCree or Hanzo. She’s was niche, is niche now, and will probably continue to be niche.

But hey, she’s pretty good at making Hanamura matched take 30 years to complete :upside_down_face: (even as a sym main that map sucks)

3 Likes

Idk, I just miss to be able to cover all routes with them, it was a good way to control enemies. Your idea is good but idk people is still very toxic against turrets -.-

Several problems.

She was put in the support/healer category but was the only one that didnt really heal.
Sure she offered regen shields as an option but no direct healing which irked ppl think of her as the origin of dps moira.

She could make litteral spiderwebs of turrets in some (alot) of situations that did take some time to setup.

It was a high risk high reward with a long setup time.
She wasnt quick and mobile and very fragile which made her a troll pick in the eyes of many.

Also, ppl loved to use her old ult to troll her teammates to death. Hence a stigma has permanently been branded into her.

Ppl say she sucked, she did. If you tried to play her like other heroes. Ppl hated it.

Seeing a sym on your team back in the day can be summerized into;
“This person isnt right in the head” “ohh their parents must hate em”
trust me, ive heard them all.

i never played 1.0.
I played 2.0. Loved her.
Ive played 3.0. i hate her very existance when i know how 2.0 was.

1 Like

Well honestly I kinda am too. Turrets and anything else auto-aim shouldn’t be great in this game. But there is a threshold they need to cross, where they are at least worth taking up space in the kit. Right now they aren’t. They are so weak. I know they die to any stray fire, but I’ve seen them just vanish without seeing any fire come their way. So I often joke they die to old age as much as they die to actually getting shot.

Right now, with how short-ranged they are, their deployment delay, their firing delay once attached, their very long cooldown, they need to triple the damage output of a turret to make it worth these drawbacks. For comparison, Torb gets more range, critshot capability, a defensive ability, his turret is about twice in good in every way as all three of Sym’s turrets combined, and his cooldown for it isn’t 30 seconds. He isn’t S-tier, granted, but he’s widely viewed as viable at least.

BUT

But

I’d give up the turrets altogether just to give her a defensive ability and mobility.

1 Like

Been playing Sym for years and still do, I started playing her 2.0 form first.

She was too good at one specific thing. That being defending the last point on defense. In every other situation she was not ideal. Also in higher level games she was very easy to counter.

Also despite what many people would tell you, she was pretty weak. She was very slow and had low damage, even compared to Sym 3.0. Sym 3.0 gets a lot of flack, however Sym 3.0 can be played in any situation. Playing Sym 2.0 in other roles but defense is soft throwing. Not saying she cannot work, but there are simply better heroes for those situations.

To add on, her lock on beam was kind of dumb honestly and the shield gen + armor combo was pretty busted. Most people agreed she was a weak DPS, and definitely not a support.

You could stare a D.Va bomb in the face and literally be like “I don’t have time to deal with this” and just throw a shield at it. (Which, by the way, survived the explosion) THAT was a power trip and a half.

But she was really limited in terms of useful situations and was hyper slow to set up. You think her 30s total turret cooldown is long now? Wait until you hear about the MINUTE-LONG turret wait for fragile things to set up at the Eichewalde choke that would die to a stray D.Va pellet all the way from Hanamura. And her orbs were soooo slow, both moving and charging. They pierced which I think makes up for the travel speed but not that ludicrous charge time.

She worked first point defence at that’s about it (Unless you were one of us avid Symmetra players who knew what they were doing) so I think the rework, while not amazing initially, was for the best. Although, I am also one of those players who despises the idea of a healing Symmetra so maybe I’m a bit biased. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Umm idk I think they only have to buff tele deployment and give her some bonus for using it (only her not allies) like more speed after using it. As the turrets, I dont want them to get out of her kit, they are iconic to the character imo but they should try to do more changes to this hero because whenever they rework her, they forget about her or just random nerf her.

On one hand, she wasn’t so good during an active combat situation, too fast paced for that.

In the other, noodle beam angered DPS players

I liked everything honestly. I liked that you had a temporary shield to protect yourself, the turrets were great traps, she relied completely on the strategic aspect of gameplay. I also liked that I could tune out of the mechanical side since she is easy to aim with, but that isn’t really the issue with the rework.
I think they changed her because of how her abilities couldn’t be used in every situation, so they tried making her viable in the meta. Then nerf her if she is ever viable at all. Point is, Blizzard hates Symm, and their attempt to make her more ‘normal’ didn’t work.

As far as I’m aware, every single rework of hers was done in an attempt to make her less niche and more viable in more situations.

Which to me the only time that was actually true was before they started playing with her TP on her 3rd iteration (like changing how fast you can TP through it, putting it on infinite cool down) that’s when she felt her most normally useful to me. But of course they had to go and change to just making her a TP bot at this point. She barely even feels useful to me on defense anymore, it seems like her best use case these is first point 2cp on like hanamura, hlc (thank god i’m not playing that map anymore) and maybe volskaya.