Serious discussion regarding placements

I think every new season I over estimate the power of placements. I always try to play crazy good to get a big jump up in SR. Last season I played REALLY well and went 8-2. My placement was virtually flat.

What are my best case scenarios for placements? Whats the max SR -+ drop or gain i should expect?

i know I have placed 100 sr above when i went 7-2-1 for season 11. I dont know what the max variance is for it though just my personal experience.

I went 9 and 1 in placements with Sombra and ended up in mid Gold.

I gave up on this game long ago. Us Bowser, Luigi, and Olimar players have no place in this game.

Which is pretty much the SR gain you would have gotten without the placements LOL.

lmfao yup! but sometimes you place much closer to where you left off.

I’ve had up to a +350 difference in normal competitive. In Lucioball I had a +507 difference, but I don’t know if they use the same rules for placement so I can’t say if that’s possible in normal competitive.

This season I had the best placements I’ve probably ever had in terms of my performance, I went 8 wins, 1 loss, 1 draw. I placed at a career high in the 3600’s, which was probably 20-40 SR above my previous career high.

I then proceeded to lose over 400 SR and haven’t been able to climb back into diamond yet.

I honestly have no idea how placements really work. The first season that they removed performance based SR above diamond I was placed 187SR above my previous career high, and that was the first season I climbed into masters.

I wrote an analysis of placements here: Season 9 Placements Analysis, High Variance Explained. If you are an active player, the max gain is about 200. Inactive players can gain more. The biggest gain I’ve seen is about 700 (over hundreds of data points).

placements = useless