Season 12 Ending Soon

Hey everyone,

Season 12 of Competitive Play is coming to an end soon, so we wanted to lay out a few key dates and important pieces of information regarding the upcoming season roll.

DATE AND TIMES

Season 12 will officially end on Sunday, October 28 at 5:00 p.m. PDT (Monday, October 29 at 00:00 UTC). Season 13 is currently scheduled to launch three days later on Wednesday, October 31 at 5:00 p.m. PDT (Thursday, November 1 at 00:00 UTC).

For time zone assistance, and to see when the season will roll in your region, visit thetimezoneconverter.com.

SEASON 12 REWARDS

If you completed your placement matches during Season 12, you will be eligible to receive a special spray and player icon. These will be unlocked automatically when you log into your account the first time after the season ends. If you are placed within the Top 500 players on your platform (and in your region) at the end of the season, youā€™ll receive an extra player icon and animated spray on top of the other seasonal rewards.

Aside from sprays and icons, youā€™ll also receive a number of Competitive Points based on the maximum skill rating you achieved during the season.

Hereā€™s the Skill Rating (SR) to Competitive Point (CP) breakdown for Season 12:

SR 1-1499 (Bronze): 65 CP

SR 1500-1999 (Silver): 125 CP

SR 2000-2499 (Gold): 250 CP

SR 2500-2999 (Platinum): 500 CP

SR 3000-3499 (Diamond): 750 CP

SR 3500-3999 (Master): 1200 CP

SR 4000-5000 (Grandmaster): 1750 CP

INTRODUCING COMPETITIVE TEAM DEATHMATCH

During the off-season you can keep your competitive edge sharp by queuing up for Competitive Team Deathmatch. This faced-paced 4v4 format is a race to eliminate the enemy 30 times to secure victory.

THANKS FOR PLAYING!

Thank you for joining us for Season 12 of Competitive Play! Whether you placed in the Top 500 or just completed your placement matches, weā€™re glad youā€™re a part of our community and hope to see you in Season 13.

Until then, be sure to keep your eyes on PlayOverwatch.com, as well as our Twitter and Facebook pages for all the latest game news!

Overwatch on Twitter

Overwatch on Facebook

6 Likes

Neato! Canā€™t wait. Iā€™m glad they are bringing off season comp games again.

5 Likes

Not asking if you will be willing to detail them now (though any details now would be lovely), but should we be anticipating any rule changes for season 13?

Or shall we stay patient for BlizzCon?

2 Likes

Will we get a start and end date for competitive team deathmatch? Since for competitive 3v3 we didnā€™t get an end date and i was pretty confused until it randomly ended.

Can we get a comp fix though?

8 Likes

Arcade seasons pretty much always last 3 weeks & Top500 is out after a week. It can begin either when arcade rotates, or when new patch comes out. [1 PM CEST i think / 8 PM CEST (new patch)]. Ends are always a mess - usually a day after promised date & time.

Whatā€™s even the reason of having seasons for competitive seeing that you never introduce any improvements nor changes in general to the mode?

The mode hasnā€™t been touched in forever and is severely in need of improvements. Devote 10% of your budget for the artists making skins to that instead and the experience would improve dramatically.

8 Likes

Why do we have to go through off season every time ?

6 Likes

This gives the Overwatch Team a little bit of time to review finalized stats and implement any changes for a new season. It also is suppose to give us a much needed break. Fun fact, the first Competitive Season break was 2 weeks long and Competitive Mode was unavailable entirely.

3 Likes

Tom, when are we going to get competitive 1vs1?

Not a season has gone by where things havent changed. New mechanics, new rules behind sr gains, new comp KOTH and 2cp rules, new rules for draws, team prep timer altered, map balance adjusted, PBSR removed in higher ranks, SMS added to legitimize top500, New report system/lfg/avoid teammate implemented to help improve quality of games, Rank badges altered to show more accuracy behind a players rank, grouping SR ranges tightened, grouping SR penalties significantly reduced, etc etc

Im all open for comp improvements, but to say they havent touched the mode in forever or ā€œnever make changes in generalā€ is completely wrong. Comp had enormously improved

4 Likes

Can we please get a rank reset? Every game Iā€™ve lost this season is due to solo and duo queues insta locking DPS and then not putting out damageā€¦ Itā€™s pretty ridiculous when rein, Winston, moira and zen are putting out more damage than Hanzo and McCree

2 Likes

Amen to that. I play a lot of rein I should not hold gold elims and damage.

Just as a challenge, how would a straight up rank reset improve this for each of you? What steps would you take to ensure that you would not fall into the same traps as the current system has? The way I see it a rank reset would be a very stressful experience for everyone and would more than likely result in everyone still going back to the ranks they were at originally. So if there was to be one, it would have to be for a very good reason (like a complete overhaul of the Competitive ruleset).

Also, it is not a good idea to weigh too much into medals and who has top eliminations. Eliminations are a very deceptive statistic as any significant amount of damage dealt counts towards eliminations. Final Blows are more effective to track. Also, damage class heroes typically have the role to secure kills, but this means quite often being selective with dealing damage depending on their role. Many tank roles are very brawly so it is easy for them to pile up damage and eliminations. Not saying that you had bad teammates or not, but I rather challenge you guys to focus on improving your own averages to the heroes you play. The more you do that, the more likely you can climb over time. I recovered over 400 SR this season by sticking to this practice.

I feel there are areas to improve Competitive Play as I originally asked if any changes are to come, but I donā€™t think a rank reset is the right answer.

2 Likes

Was a rough one as I almost dropped to Bronze from Plat this season, making gains to get back but definitely forgot some important concept to drop so hard. Anyways, speaking of Bronze, can we get rid of the 1,500SR point area of Bronze and make it an even 500SR for each rank for S13, please? It seems silly and tragic to rub it in as it were.

I like the direction that this is heading, giving players the option to still be competitive during the off-season. Hopefully in the future, The goal is to extend the off-seaon back to 2-weeks and have different cycles of competitive modes in-between

(I.E. CTF, TDM, LuicoBall, Elimination, #newgamemode).

1 Like

While Bronze only consists of the bottom 3% of the player base, it is also the most varied in skill level. High bronze players are not too far off from the stats of Gold Rank players (though there is a significant difference to distinguish them), but ā€œwoodā€ tier players (players under 500 SR) virtually have no sense of game-play other than shoot anything in red.

Itā€™s just exploiting basic human psychology.

It helps give people ā€˜goalsā€™ and a sense of completion and starting ā€˜anewā€™.

When in reality, nothing really changes.

1 Like

The game is always dead in off season, a big part of the playerbase only play comp.