Season 11 PLacements?

I don’t know if I am correct, but is your rank from the end of a preceding season have an effect on the next season’s placement?

In my 10 placement matches, I had many multi kills and high elims and damage. I had gold or silver in those two categories, in most of my games if not all, or in a couple games having all golds except healing. I also won 8/10 matches, but I have heard that wins/losses don’t matter. I was placed 2700 season 10, but dropped to 2400 due to the brig cancer meta. Being a flanker main (Tracer and Genji primarily), I was very unprepared. I had my unfortunate games season 10. Although, I did manage to climb to around 2850.

I placed 2615 season 11. Was my low placement due to this large drop from 2800 to 2400? This is kind of aggravating. I know I’m only a plat, but I feel like I should have been placed at least 27.5k.

Thanks for all your help!

Yes your last season ending sr is taken into account with your placement in the next season, but not directly. Basically the system will match you with players from the skill level you ended last season with. And since your performance is compared against the skill level your playing against, it does generally keep you in the same rank. Imagine if you ended 2500 last season, your placements would be against people that did the same. Then if you out-performed them, you would be placed slightly higher, and if they out-performed you, you would be placed slightly lower. Its complicated but I hope that makes sense.

For active players, the primary difference between placements and non-placements is whether or not your SR is visible. See How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 11) → Season Transitions for more.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you very much. :slight_smile: