Scared of placing too high

Hello there. This is my first post on the forums. I recently got this account and I’m scared of placing too high in competitive. I got this account so that way I have an account for video creation and just playing with friends. I am in Gold on my other account and don’t play competitive that much. I do have a 70% win rate on most of my heroes there which means I am slowly climbing but the rank still feels mostly right for me. I have delayed reaction speed and I still need to work on my game sense a great deal so I’m fine with where I’m at. On this account, I’ve only played quickplay. I notice that the games here are more difficult and I have to watch my positioning more as well as the fact that I am dying more. It’s common for me to get around 30 elims and 4 deaths in my quickplay games on my other account while on this account I am doing poorly with 17 elims and 13 deaths. I noticed that my quickplay matches here are consisting of a great deal of diamond players, platinums and a rare low master player. Since I am doing so poorly in these games and it’s only quickplay, it’s a good indicator that I don’t belong in a state where I go against diamonds. On my other account I play against silver, gold and occasional platinum players. Since Quickplay is pairing me with players who have a much higher SR on average, does that mean that I will be place falsely high when I go to start competitive? I don’t want to poorly impact higher ranked games so I am just wondering if Quickplay on new accounts is any indicator of what will happen with initial placements. If it looks like I am going to be placed in a rank that is undeserved or too difficult, is there a hero I can play during quickplay that will weaken my statistics before doing placements? I just don’t want to disrupt any games in a similar way that a boosted player would by not belonging.

1 Like

That’s your hidden MMR, it’s similar to comp rank, and you are climbing in MMR that’s why your games are getting harder in QP.

On a new account, you start off with a clean slate, and with little to no stats it’s easier to place higher rank than on your main account (in comp)

But your hidden MMR in QP is always being adjusted. The more you lose the lower your queue skill becomes, the more you win the higher rank your queue skill becomes.

Same as if you were climbing or falling in comp rank, just that MMR only affects your placements.

It has a lot to do with your consistency, but once your stats get deeply ingrained it becomes more of a law of averages and statistical probability.

TL:DR - You have grounds to fear you may make rank higher than you’d like on the new account based on what you have said.

A 70% winrate in gold means you belong higher than gold, assuming a decent enough sample size. If you belong in your rank you should be around 50-55% win rate on your mains. But if you want to stay there anyway you could always play your worst heroes to lower your MMR. Or str8 up throw but be careful not to get banned if you do that.

Tldr.
I like to pwn noobs & dont want to have a actual challenge & play at my proper rank

No that means you actually belong about 1000 SR higher lol. It only feels right to you because games are easy and you don’t like to be challenged.

1 Like

Quick play does not affect competitive, in any way. All new accounts start competitive around 2350, and by the end of placements range from high bronze to low masters. However, 10 games is not enough to accurately place an account, so it is hard to be sure where you will end up exactly.

See Initial Competitive Skill Rating, Decrypted for details.

1 Like

I haven’t really compared my experience with difficulty to other players so I guess I wasn’t aware of how little I was being challenged. Now that you mention it, there is a sense of ease at my rank that I’m noticing. Even in the games that I lose, I still generally perform well. So you’ve given me something to think about. I haven’t really compared my experience with difficulty to other players so I guess I wasn’t aware of how little I was being challenged. Just out of curiosity, what’s a good baseline for KDR or just general performance to know if I’m at the rank I should be in?

I am high plat and i face like every 5 games in quick gm or master and gold or plat so quick is just full random for me xd

Sorry for my english

Kdr is highly hero dependant. And anyways you can get the averages per hero by rank off overbuff.

In terms of how you know if you belong at a rank it is easy. Look at your win rate. 50% means you are where you belong. 70% means you are hard carrying and belong 2 ranks above where you are.

Just look at all the threads on this forum about people feeling out of control and blaming their teammates about everything. This is what you feel when your are at the rank you belong. Because you can no longer carry because your skills are not above those in your rank anymore.