"Saying GG is just good sportsmanship"

Your intentions don’t matter. Only the recipient’s opinion. And in a highly-charged competitive game like Overwatch, anything said by the winning team has to be weighed against how it looks to the group you’re addressing.

4 Likes

am i supposed to say the game was garbage because the losing team thought so? No. No matter what I will ALWAYS say gg

3 Likes

Thereby demonstrating the problem.

1 Like

so I am only allowed to say gg when its a draw then? okay. It’s good sportsmanship to say gg

1 Like

Calm down buddy I don’t think anybody here except you is offended.

3 Likes

It’s not really a mystery why the winning team is most likely to say GG, people typically get salty when they lose(case in point everyone who makes this thread). That doesn’t mean we should discourage GG etiquette.

1 Like

Yeah, generally pretty nasty to say GG after stomping them. I actively avoid doing it. :smiley:

4 Likes

Eh. I just say “gg wp all” at the end of a game, regardless of win or lose.

If the game was really unfair for one reason or another (someone obviously feeding to throw, the rare instance someone might be cheating, leaver / disconnects, etc) I leave it at WP.

At the end of the match, I’m thankful for both my team and my opponents regardless of the outcome. Without them, I wouldn’t have a game to play, and I respect them or at least try to regardless of the outcome.

I don’t sit there and wait to type out GG WP all the moment a game ends, as that can come across as looking petty potentially. If someone gets upset with me about it, I’m honestly okay with that because I don’t mind typing out quickly my explanation, that I am just trying to be sportsmen like.

So, yeah. I know not everyone will be happy with that. I try to respect people’s opinions and feelings on it. But I also want to respect my fellow players and be able to show it, so I’ll take small steps to try to avoid the confusion in the first place, and if someone does mistake my intent I don’t mind trying to clear it up.

That’s just me though, I suppose.

Edit: Not sure why it quoted you, Tryagon. My fault.

1 Like

I report people who say gg after they roflstomped my team for sarcasm and bad sportsmanship.

4 Likes

Lost 10 game in a row. Said gg at the end if each one. Cause thats how its supposed to be.

2 Likes

I always say “GG” after matches, even when my team lost.

2 Likes

sorry, i say gg after every game, just out of reflex. just like you say “have a nice day” even when you don’t mean it.

1 Like

From a linguist’s perspective, it really feels like people who have an issue with gg after a steamroll match are just perpetuating their own ideas and feelings onto a simple ‘gg’.

It seems like most of the time people who say gg don’t really mean anything by it, but somehow the person interpreting the gg is interpreting it negatively even though there are no other visual or vocal cues to say whether or not the gg is maliciously intended.

Or maybe I am just the type of person to not assume the worst in people. If I get steamrolled by a group, and people on the winning team say ‘gg’, maybe internally I’ll be like “but the game wasn’t good lol” but being offended by some random person who said gg and literally nothing else the entire time associating with them is too much of a hassle. Maybe I’m old though ehh…

3 Likes

I occasionally pay attention to chat and endorse any players on the losing team that say gg because I feel it’s deserved.

2 Likes

its 2 letters. If you cant scrape together the braincells to actually say something its not worth saying and just spam. Real good sportsmanship is taking the effort to comment on the match, saying “Sorry that was such a steamroll” when you were on the winning team of a onesided game is REAL sportsmanship, or another example “you guys played really well”, or perhaps “that was really fun I enjoyed playing with everyone”. But you dont get to give yourself a pat on the back for spamming 2 dumb letters at the end of every game, that is just a waste of chat space.

Saying GG is good sportsmanship is like saying youre a good cook cause you can put a hot pocket in the microwave. Its literally the least possible amount of effort you could do. acting like spamming GG at the end of the game makes you some kind of super positive sportsmanship hero is an insult to the people who actually put in the effort to be good team mates. The quickplay shotcallers who keep the team together, the humble players who will own up to making a mistake when they make it instead of trying to avoid blame, the people who will switch off there favorite hero if they know there current team comp is never realistically going to work and the team needs something else. These are the people who I consider icons of real good sportsmanship and could care less about your low effort chat spam at the end of every match.

10 Likes

My problem is the people that say GG after winning a one sided stomp can the majority are saying it to mock the losing team, they are just leaving out “losers”

2 Likes

I’ve been saying “gg” at the end of every match lately, win or lose.

I tend to get more Sportsmanship endorsements, especially if I was on the receiving end of a stomping (which happens often).

If I see someone on the enemy team saying “gg” after they got stomped, then I’ll usually endorse them.

1 Like

so read those 2 letters and move on?

there are so many liars in this thread its hilarious - and if they arent lying they are an extreme minority because I almost NEVER see the losing team say gg first. Winning team is all over that like white on rice though, so draw your own conclusions what that means.

8 Likes

I usually say gg if it was a good game, as in one team didn’t stomp the other.

1 Like