Saving Error (6-04) - Highlights

Hello, since this last patch I’ve noticed that not a single one of my Highlights, nor captured ones, will save. My settings have not been changed since I began and tweaked them, I’ve saved tons of them before, but this last patch seems to have messed it all up.

I tried to Google some fixes, and I found that someone had changed the directory by going into their Settings_v0 file. I did as instructed and I did it correctly, yet this problem is not fixed.

What’s going on? Anyone else having this issue?

I rely on my Highlights since I cannot record my gameplay.

3 Likes

Hey GummyGabe,
One of our forum MVPs posted these steps a while ago about this issue. Let me know if this helps or not.

1. Make sure Overwatch is closed.
  2. Open your Settings_v0.ini file, located in Documents\Overwatch\Settings (Note, you may need to right click and select “Open in… > Notepad” to properly edit this file.)
  3. Find the [MovieExport.1] section. (Note, if this section does not exist, you may type it in manually.)
  4. Add a line for VideoPath = “” and provide a path. For example: VideoPath = “C:\Users\yourusername\Desktop”
  5. Save and close the file.
4 Likes

These don’t work on consoles. The highlight thing is pointless on console and has been since launch.

Selective assistance.

2 Likes

No. It didn’t. The issue randomly stopped, it was fine for a few days and now it’s happening again. I wasted my limited data with live chat customer service trying to find answers and nothing worked. I even went to Dell to see if it was PC related issues.

That solution doesn’t work on my computer.

The PC was checked, it’s 100% working
The operating system was checked, that’s also 100%
I have reinstalled the game and the same error happens

Unfortunately this fix doesn’t work for me! Help!

Hi! same issue with me – “the unexpected error” one. Did the steps provided above carefully, even did Scan and Repair, no joy. what’s up? :confused:

1 Like

Hello! I have the same issue since Hanzo’s rework patch arrived. I can play normally, I can even see the “!” signal in Highlights announcing there’s a new one in the menu of the game, but when I open that window up there´s nothing.
I can watch all my old saved videos but I can’t see any new highlight since then till now.
I’ve changed the saving path for videos but didn’t work at all
Now I see there are more people with the same problem, so… there is any solution yet?? T_T

I had the same problem and I figured out what was causing it.
This may be of help to some.

There is a new ransomware protection option added to Windows 10 that when enabled will sometimes not let applications create or modify files in some folders including “Documents”.

For the game to be able to save files in the “Documents” overwatch folder, you have to either disable ransomware protection or add "Overwatch.exe "to its allowed apps(Exceptions/Whitelist).

To disable ransomware protection, you open up Windows Settings->Update&Security->Windows Security->Virus&Threat protection->Ransomware protection-> Set to Off or add the “Overwatch.exe” application to allowed apps.

“Overwatch.exe” can be found at the following location on Windows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Overwatch

Overwatch user profile can be found at:

%userprofile%\Documents\Overwatch

If you have an antivirus system that also has this ransomware protection option, then you will have to temporarily disable it in a similar fashion.

18 Likes

Thanks dude, you are a life-saver!

1 Like

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile: This method is the only one that worked :slight_smile:

1 Like

Worked right away for me thank you

OMG THANK YOU! Glad I scrolled down before trying the advice at the top of this forum. Is there a way to make this top post??

1 Like

Almost 2 years later and the ransomware setting is still a problem. Thank you for this, Afterstar.

1 Like

actually worked. wow. didnt think it would but thank you :slight_smile:

A mí nada de lo que an puesto para solucionar ninguna me a funcionado sigue el mismo problema ya solo pido una respuesta ya que me gustaría volver a guardar mis mejores jugadas para analizarlas y mejorar

For me, nothing that has been put to solve any has worked for me, the same problem continues and I only ask for an answer since I would like to save my best moves again to analyze them and improve

Wow can’t believe this is still an issue 4 years later. had same thing happen to me in Win 11. The fix suggested by the guys above (in blue text) doesn’t work but this ransomware one still works. Why the hell would it still be an issue with no Blizzard fix after so long? Way to go Blizz thanks for the fix, geesh!!!

1 Like

probably necroposting (and sorry for it), but im currently having the same issue. Void linux, updated, my laptop is a MSI GF76 Katana 11UC-893XRU, playing from native steam (no flatpak), the game runs through proton8.0-04 with “PROTON_ENABLE_NVAPI=1 PROTON_HIDE_NVIDIA_GPU=0 %command%” as launch arguments and when attempting to save the highlight i run into the same issue, even tho in my winepfx for proton you can write into documents.

Edit: Giving ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/2357570/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Documents/Overwatch r/w files for everyone didnt help. may try giving the entire folder r/w rights, but i doubt itll help. if it does, ill update this tomorrow

1 Like