S76 ult rework. Yes or no?

IDK if I’m lame for caring about S76, a character with low pick rate and a reputation of “throwing”, but I like what I like. His mobility and sustainability is fun even though the game nowadays heavily rely on burst dps especially with the emphasis on tanks+supports.

With that said, I felt S76 ult to be both underwhelming and not as useful.

His ult needs a buff or better yet a rework. I thought of 3 ideas for fun (last 2 being my fave). Let me know what you guys think of them. I’m not being too serious but hey… I can see these ideas totally working with Blizzard’s guidance.

Also, do you think his ult needs a buff or rework at all?

So for my first idea; the least change of reworks. Make his ult a straight-forward damage boost, damage resistance and/or regen HP, auto-sprint movement speed, reload speed boost, and additional damage boost on headshots (to reward skill) but WITHOUT the auto-lock. I know this rework is vanilla but cmon, his ult is pretty vanilla RN. I feel like his current ult is pointless if your aim reaches a certain point. No headshots during his ult sooo yah…

My second idea; how about an artillery fire or air raid (AOE)? Playing too much into the soldier concept (but is that a bad thing)? Or too similar to Pharah’s ult? Regardless, imagine another ult that can help punish a death ball? Or at least the backline of a death ball? Would it help against GOATS? And also, make S76 more playable?

But back to similarity to Pharah’s ult. Maybe it can be a line of 5 consecutive explosions expanding outwards, or he can choose the axis, like Sym’s wall. Each explosion will have a knock-up on enemies. Doesn’t have to be high damage burst like a rip tire. The damage can be toned back.

Or, instead of a line of consecutive explosions, what about a certain radius with an AOE DoT? So that entire “zone” will get repeated barrage of explosions over a period of time. Since it’s a DoT, the damage won’t be burst / high damage. It may still do knock-up but its a way of… crowd control / map control. Interesting maybe?

Last idea… what about a heat seeking stinger missile? (lol yes I like Metal Gear).
After the initial Q press, cycle thru visible targets by pressing Q, get a small HUD on targeted enemy hero (health, maybe even stats), then alt-fire to shoot. 250 direct damage or if thats too OP, 150-200 direct + 100-50 burn DoT. Splash damage optional but it can be small. Other words, its a quicker Dead Eye but with a smaller target range (only 1 target). S76 can sprint and primary fire during the ult timer countdown. Ult missile will go a great distance, follow targets around corners etc, to a decent effect but not 100%; can still crash into a wall or ceiling, or run out of fuel, crash and explode at a random spot. Maybe it can be shot down – but has decent health and flies extremely fast. Lastly, its allowed to be fire at crosshair if no target is selected when timer is up.

This seems like Junkrat’s rip tire; however, it FLIES. The mobility and the fact it can automatically lock-in on a single target, makes it equally as menacing as the rip tire but for different reasons. It won’t be able to take down more than 1 target but isolating a single target can be extremely useful. With that said, it shouldn’t have the same splash damage as rip tire.

If that’s underwhelming, increase the damage or add more splash, or go a different direction, make it so it doesn’t crash into walls; that it will always hit the target eventually. Maybe if it’s shot down, it will explode differently, no direct damage but a larger splash radius.

1 Like

After these I really doubt he needs any form of rework.

I agree in regards to his pulse rifle and sprint. IDK about his ult though. Still underwhelming. However, obviously, I can be completely wrong and regardless if its “underwhelming”, its still balanced.

But auto-targeting the Immortality Field sounds important but at the same time… its a stationary target… I can’t imagine using my Ult to shoot that thing down. Helix and some bullets will do the job fine.

And rip tire. That’s cool too, I suppose. But that’s one very specific thing. I don’t think that is much of a change at all to say, me, a person that thinks his ult needs rework, to be sold on.

Plus, like I mentioned, no headshots on his current ult. If anything, remove the auto-lock and just make it a straight-forward damage boost with bonus to headshots, and add damage resistance, crazy fast reload time, etc to make it feel like an ult since something needs to be added if auto-lock is removed.

I think we need to stop jumping to reworking characters. Like I’m not bashing your post, but I think Soldier just needs some QoL improvements and some buffs, as this game has introduced many new characters and even reworked others (such as Hanzo, making him a far better option because of the high damage) to fill the “medium range” niche while also giving those characters more mobility.

I think they need to work on Solfier’s current kit, as he still has seen use in high level play (I believe he was in one of the original 4 dps that was used to get rid of GOATS) and he has so much potential.

1 Like

But you literally cannot miss. I think you’re underestimating how powerful a consistent DPS output from a hero like 76 is.

But if you make headshots consistently enough, his ult is actually weaker. I think removing auto-lock and buffing his ult in different ways is a good compromise. And demands more skill but yet at the same time, can be more powerful.

And MightyMogar. No worries. This isn’t a petition or anything lol just chewing the rag. IDK what QoL improvements he could get. IMO, I like how he is in general, just not his ult. Underwhelming is really the best word that I can think of.

I liked when they reworked Sym’s ult. And Mercy’s ult. I think reworks has its place. I’m definitely not one to say when that is (when a rework has its place)… I’m no expert. But I really do enjoy the game so it’s nice to hear feedback even if its not agreeing to my notion.

What changes would you suggest for his current kit? Just curious.

actually wrong, this isnt common knowledge but even during soldier ult he still has random spread if he full autos, meaning even during his ult RNG can decide if he’ll miss a shot. At the very least they could fix his ult so that there isn’t spread when using it.