Rumor about OW2 aiming for release before Summer 22

Taken from the article below, take it as a rumor with a grain of salt.

https://www.dexerto.com/overwatch/behind-the-scenes-at-the-owl-reactions-to-the-lawsuit-and-the-future-of-the-league-1642147/

"An internal Activision Blizzard source told Dexerto this was incorrect and added that getting the game out as soon as possible was now a high priority.

“We’re more than aware we need to get it out,” they said.“So the word is the dev team has been told to lock in the features the game has, get it fixed and get it shipped. We’re looking to get it out before the Summer of 2022.”"

OW2 release during anniversary? Who knows.

1 Like

Don’t. Don’t give me hope :persevere:

4 Likes

In the window of time around Anniversary had always been my guess for a release date, it just feels like the best time of year to do it.

1 Like

Yeah probably. Ship with one or two PvE campaigns. Add/sell more later. Games don’t get shipped in a complete/polished state anymore.

4 Likes

I can’t help but think that’s still a pretty big time window to get things in and polished. They really should be close to done anyway if production went well, which we can assume hasn’t been the case. Either way, they need content for the franchise as there’s nothing happening with it

1 Like

Sounds good to me.

Basically why I made this thread. They got a whole lot of balancing and reworking to do between then and now.

[OW2] Balance Design Blueprint

I would compare it to World of Warcraft expansions.

I mean isn’t that always a high priority? Don’t tell me they were taking their sweat time before the lawsuit.

3 Likes

When did they announce it?
Was it 2019?

Wow…
Why did they announce it so soon?

Edit:
Typo.
I wrote 2016 instead of 2019

1 Like

Because it was supposed to be more special than it now seems like it may be due to Blizzard’s reputation slipping ever deeper into the mud, which of course is effecting sales

Add on pressure from Activision and I’m sure the situation over there is pretty gnarly

Not to mention they were gearing up for an expansion into China, only for China to crack down on online gaming.

Throw in that CoD Warzones is starting to lose out to Apex.

And WoW is hemorrhaging players over to Final Fantasy Online.

And the only release in the foreseeable future is a probably forgettable CoD Vanguards, and Diablo 4 which some have said just looks like a sidegrade of Diablo 3.

Cyberpunk PTSD? :eyes:

OW1 came out in 2016. OW2 was announced at Blizzcon (November) 2019.

Exactly, it’s a grim situation, but of their own making of course. Nobody should feel bad for them.

I hope they get their act together and become more respectable again, but as things currently are I think everyone should detach their feelings from Blizzard now lest they be hurt later.

Thats actually very possible.

How have those been going?

More of a fallout 76 thing. I didn’t buy into the cyberpunk hype.

Finally.
They just lost maybe 60% of the player base.
We will see how many people actually spend money in OW2 pve 6 years after OW1

2 Likes

So if this has any meat to it, looks like they’re getting the lean put on them to just clean up whatever’s done and get it out the door.

I think people would be content if they gave us the dev updates they said they would be giving instead of rushing the game but business is business.

1 Like