Rubber-banding & Packet Loss

This post has been deleted.

Dumb question here, but I’m assuming this isn’t on wifi?

Right… it’s not hardware related. Not my hardware anyways.

Not sure where your packet loss is, but it’s not in that WinMTR test. This hop quoted above does not respond to all requests and often shows loss because of it. Even at 1% it wouldn’t be too bad. Did you speak with Blizzard tech support?

Not sure where your packet loss is, but it’s not in that WinMTR test. This hop quoted above does not respond to all requests and often shows loss because of it. Even at 1% it wouldn’t be too bad. Did you speak with Blizzard tech support?

Yes I did speak with blizz tech support. I opened up a chat window and was told there was definite packet loss after sending those reports. The agent “spoke with networking” and determined there was an issue. Thanks for the response btw. I was a part of the last “big” packet loss issue in this thread:

Data-Gathering for Connection Issues When Routed Through Dallas Region [Dec. 7]

I think the packet loss you had when you spoke to them has since cleared up. It’s possible something else is happening now. I am also routed through Dallas when on the LA servers and not seeing any packet loss currently. Want to post a dxdiag?

I think the packet loss you had when you spoke to them has since cleared up. It’s possible something else is happening now. I am also routed through Dallas when on the LA servers and not seeing any packet loss currently. Want to post a dxdiag?

Not publicly no. Maybe if I do some fine editing I can share it here but I really don’t think this is a hardware issue. Let me mess around with it and I’ll get back to you.

P.S. - I haven’t noticed the issue since then but I’ll be keeping an eye on it tonight. Thanks again.

MSInfo has personal info, DXDiag doesn’t have much other than PC name and a few lists for apps that are installed (staff often ask people to post these in the forums). You can always submit one privately to the staff via ticket.

This is actually quite different from the first test you posted.

Your home equipment is showing packet loss, as well as the line outside your house. Because of this, it’s time to get your ISP involved. Beyond that, the hop at Dallas on Level3 is showing 6% packet loss and slow response times. This could be because of a defense mechanism to prevent DDoS attacks, but your ISP would know more.

This is the only game this happens in. I’ll reach out to my ISP but can Blizzard get involved in any way from here on out? I don’t feel like this solely falls on my ISP - but then again I would have no idea.

1 Like

I am not an employee, but I’m very active as a forum MVP. I can say with confidence it is unlikely they would get involved. We narrowed this issue down already to your equipment and ISP lines malfunctioning. Since you are their customer, and not Blizzard, they wouldn’t be able to intervene.

By equipment - do you mean my actual router/modem? How was it determined that this was a hardware issue?

Yes.

By this line in your WinMTR:

|192.168.21.129|1|319|318|8|13|55|11|

The IP is your home equipment address, this is denoted by the 192 at the start of it; and the 1 in the first column is the amount of packet loss, meaning 1%.

The reason you would need to address this with your ISP is because the next IP after that is the line coming into your home, which is also showing a 1% loss. You can’t repair this on your own generally.

Ok just curious is all I appreciate it. Thanks for the help. Hopefully this is indeed 100% on my end.

I hope you can get this resolved :slight_smile:

After further investigation, these other inflated numbers are just that. They don’t respond to all ping requests as a protection mechanism. Have you played since correcting your home connection? If you are still having problems, a screenshot of your netgraph in game during the issues (upload to imgur), and another WinMTR while they’re happening to the IP listed in the top of the netgraph would be our next steps. (Ctrl+Shift+N for netgraph)

So there is a mechanism in place to purposely deny 52%~ of traffic to that host to prevent DDoS attacks? The Dallas ones I mean.

Yes, absolutely. You see this also in the Blizzard hop, where the response time is reporting over 4 seconds (not milliseconds), but obviously is not the case since you CAN connect.