RTX 2070 Performance

Yes, I do use borderless windowed, I use 100% render scale, and right now I max out 300 FPS in the practice range but during actual games I would say I average around 180-190 fps but consistently dip to 140-150 during team fights

With the last WINDOWS 10 updates the performance of all my games are affected not only in OVERWATCH. GEARs for example i could keep on ULTRA-SETTINGs using 382.53 driver 170 - 190 FPS. Now 120 - 140ā€¦ On OW i could keep 260 FPS + now 150 - 180.

Microsoft should take care of the trash updates they provide cuz they affect our gaming performance

With your setup you should reach 300fps.

Whats your power supply?

Dual 1080s gets me over 200 near 300. Turn off vsync and gsync put framerate to custom/300 if you havent already.

EVGA Platinum 550 Watt

Well, at peak performance your CPU and GPU consume more than your PU can supply, not to mention there are other parts.

Try to limit your gpu to 50% power and run the game again, youll see how it affect it.

1 Like

Overwatch unfortunately doesnā€™t seem to correctly take advantage of the presentation improvements in Windows 8+ so you donā€™t actually get optimal performance. Instead of presenting directly to the display, the game contents are actually still presented to the OS compositor which then renders your content in a composition pass the next frame. You end up getting higher latency (often sometimes a significant amount) and worse overall performance. I doubt itā€™s the cause of your issues (usually itā€™s only a minor perf hit), I would still highly recommend sticking to fullscreen mode.

To RUN overwatch to 1080P,142FPS/144HZ monitor this was ENOUGH but not anymore cuz the optimization is being trash for part of BLIZZARD and for part of MICROSOFT.

I3 Quad-Core 3.5 ghz or any RYZEN 5
NVIDIA 1060-6GB / AMD 570.
Dual-Channel DDR4 Ram 2800 MHZ

Now you at least need a 1070 or a 2060 Nvidia and at least a ryzen 7 or a i5 is really stupid

I think it pretty usual from actual gameplay, especially the dips as long as you donā€™t have monster PC.

Iā€™m not sure about the average FPS thoā€¦

And when you are comparing with other, you need to be very specificā€¦
Ppl can tell you their fps can be vastly different between modes or even the time when they look at the fps during the game.

Try to use 75% render scale, itā€™s will boost your fps quit significantly and also will improve the input lag, a lot of pros also use that render scale even with their monster PC.

I used task manager to see my hardware utilization and its about 40% for my CPU, 50% for my ram and 15% for my GPU

Pros typically use 75% render scale because it makes the targets easier to see since the red outline on enemies appears thicker. If your GPU is not bottlenecked (which is almost certainly not the case if youā€™re playing at 1080p on low settings with a high end card) then it wont affect your FPS by much, if at all.

What on earth are you talking about, Ryzen 2700 and RTX 2070 do not consume more than 550 Watts.

I used task manager to see my hardware utilization and its about 40% for my CPU, 50% for my ram and 15% for my GPU

15% for the GPU?!? Should be near 100% if everything works fine. Or at least the CPU should be if the bottleneck is there.

What on earth are you talking about, Ryzen 2700 and RTX 2070 do not consume more than 550 Watts.

Well my Intel cpu is rated as 95W, in reality it consumes almost 200W.
As of Ryzen 2700, just look at the internet - it eats close to 400W alone.

A ryzen 2700 is definitely not going to consume even close to 400W. 400W is like full system load under stress test with a GTX2080Ti, and wont be any noticeably different from an equivalent Intel CPU.

1 Like

OW is super demanding when itā€™s come down to crazy ults fight and stuff like that.
Even the top GPU(+CPU) like 1080TI have sometimes dips to 150~, and sometimes even lower(not suppose to happens, but it happens).
Render scale of 75% making it less happens, even if the CPU is also a factor.

About the input lag and render scale, i did some digging and i didnā€™t saw someone who explain the direct relation of it to better input lag.

It might be only related by the fps boost, and better fps have direct relation to SIM value, which are sort of input lag, and the more fps you have the dips will be not as bad, and therefore you will get better the SIM value(~input lag) on those extreme cases.

The impact render scale will have is going to be directly related to which component is the bottleneck. Itā€™s a popular misconception that higher framerate is simply a function of a faster GPU. This is probably because this is commonly true, especially as games push the limits of graphical fidelity. However, when it comes to high framerate (e.g. 144hz and above), and especially if youā€™re playing a game thatā€™s already not too demanding on low settings, the CPU will be the bottleneck almost 100% of the time. In such cases, putting render scale to 75% will get you almost nothing but a blurry image because the GPU already had very little work to do.

This is correct. Higher framerates will yield you better input latency. This is always true. I did not contest that point though, to be fair. My only argument here is that 75% render scale on higher end machines (e.g. those used by pros) is not done for the framerate boost, itā€™s done for the enemy outline visibility.

Task manger said that my GPU was only at 15% utilization how would I make it go higher?

What a nice rich guy!

This isnā€™t a question I can answer very easily, unfortunately. If GPU and CPU utilization are both low, it implies that something in your system is creating stalls. Iā€™ve never encountered this as a problem in Overwatch, but I have heard of other games performing file/disk access during some frames which can cause stalls while waiting for the file IO operation to complete. So there can be cases where running those game son an SSD could actually improve your performance (or at least limit cases of stuttering).

I kind of doubt thatā€™s the issue here, but without more advanced tracing/analysis it would be quite hard to say why.

i discovered something since i am really stupid with hardware. even if your graphic card is great your fps can still get effected by your screen ā€¦ it took me a while to wrap my head around it and also the quality gets effected if you have a full screen or a borderless window