Role Queue Killed OW

The funny thing to me is, role queue was never the problem.

The problem was the matchmaking.

The problem was the horrid SR system.

The ironic thing is that these role queue games have been the worst quality of matches i’ve seen in three years of Overwatch. So, it failed at making games better. So, why even have it?

Revert it. I was enjoying the Instant Queues two months ago. OW isn’t such a serious game that people will be willing to sit 15 minutes in queue to play. It’s a casual, binge type of game.

I could sit and play it all night, binge and overcome any horrible games.

Now? I have zero interest in sitting in queue for that long just to see which horrible game i get.

53 Likes

I wouldn’t mind it if the balance were better. Now that the game is so restrictive metas feel even more oppressive at all ranks instead of just the top

9 Likes

I dont agree about the matchmaking and sr system but role lock has killed this game for me. I cant even get through 2-3 games a day before im like …ok this is not worth the time spent.

25 Likes

Hahahaha, no. The community did a long time ago. Devs aren’t helping the situation one bit though.

these are problems alright but they’re nothing compared to the real serious problem, one that no developer could ever fix:

The players

16 Likes

QP up to lvl25 factoring into starting MMR would be massive. As it is all players start with 2350 MMR in their first game of comp. How absurd is that. Brand new I started with that value. After crushing people for ten hours Dafran started with that MMR. You wonder why mid ranks are so fricken chaotic? Every new account winds up there despite massive massive differences in skill and it takes dozens if not hundreds of games for them to reach close to their “real” tier. In those games they were effectively throwers or smurfs (depending on who we are talking about) who impacting a good half a thousand players’ MMR each because of their false 2350 start. Does any other game have a system as bad as setting all new accounts to 50 percentile?

3 Likes

Why are you queuing for competitive if you see the game like this?

Just arcade/QP. You don’t seem interested in actual competitive matches.

Another massive mistake from Blizz. They should start people in bronze, let them work up. Instead, you’re constantly playing with players who need to lose 100’s of games just to rank DOWN to the rank they should be.

5 Likes

Every game, despite any problems in them, has been better than 99% of games pre-role lock, for me. Before, I’d have to play multiple days in a row, across 10 hours, and end up with maybe 1 even match that seemed to make any sense whatsoever. Now, it’s most games that are more or less even. What is it that you’re seeing that makes you think games are worse than ever?

3 Likes

Before Role Queue, most games were 222 anyway. With instant queues. Pretty even matches.

Now, i’m seeing the obvious long queues. Worst of all, the matches have been just terrible, and from what i can see, it’s because they’re not being tough enough with MMR. I think they should have done a complete reset of MMR.

Sorry to say, but i literally threw my Healing placements on one of my three accounts. I got BRONZE healing every single game, and lost them all…

It placed me at 100 lower SR than my try-hard DPS and tank. And the difference i play was just ridiculous. Like it was HARD to play that poorly.

So, they’re literally giving people the same old ranks even if they stand around and do nothing at all. Well, role queue makes it a new game and they should have reset everything. This system is going to take LONGER to make better matches because they insist on using old data.

I’m seeing tanks who don’t press W. DPS who can’t aim. Supports who go dps.

It’s ridiculous, and it’s keeping them at all the same old ranks.

Haven’t had a decent game since Role Queue started. To me, it was a massive mistake and step back for the game. Long Queues make it even worse, because you can’t just spam games to try and make up for the losses.

6 Likes

They forgot that we play for fun not to be in OW league

9 Likes

Just like Blizzard.

When it comes to ladder, at least

3 Likes

Previously, maybe 10% of my games were 2-2-2, and when they were, it was dps on tanks and dps on healers, just like now. Except then, they’d just swap around after being useless for half the round and be just as useless when we’re running 4dps. Not sure how you managed to get 2-2-2 before role lock more than once a day, much less most of the time. Regardless, resetting mmr means it treats everyone as golds, effectively. Why would you do that rather than just wait until things even themselves out. If you’re losing every game, you’ll drop quickly. The more you lose, the more your mmr goes down, and the more SR you’ll lose per match.

Plus, as far as long queues are concerned, I went from 4 minute queues before 2-2-2 to 7 minute queues after 2-2-2. I’m not complaining given the general increase in the quality of matches. Not to mention that when I queue tank, I get instant queues, which didn’t happen before. Pros certainly have more to complain about in that regard, waiting for 45+ minutes per game, but 7 minutes isn’t a huge deal, really. It’s 3 more minutes for a guarantee that you get to play the role you want.

Also consider that if your teammates are all garbage all the time, then the entire enemy team is also all garbage all of the time. The mistakes your teammates make are all being made by the enemy team. Don’t assume your teammates don’t deserve their rank. Top500 players make mistakes. Diamonds make more mistakes. Golds make lots of mistakes. Bronze players almost exclusively make mistakes.

If you say haven’t had a single good game since role queue started, you’re either lying, or you’re going in having already made the decision the game is going to be bad. That, or you’re seeing problems related to the meta and blaming it on role lock. Given that you’re willing to intentionally throw matches, I assume it’s just that you’re already decided that it’s bad and are unwilling to give it a fair shake. Just focus on your own play and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing.

All role lock has done for YOU is to allow you to play whatever role you want without being forced to flex. Focus on playing your role correctly, and stop paying attention to how bad your tanks/dps/supports are.

4 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better myself, spot on mate.

2-2-2 is the best thing that’s ever happened to the game. Fact.

The only people I see complaining are people who exclusively want to play DPS and don’t like the que times, well tough. You’re own faults for not flexing to tank or support when role lock wasn’t a thing, instead you all chose to go 5dps and leave 1 person to tank or heal. Just desserts I say.

What I like to do is que for 2 tank games, 2 support games, then 1 dps, rinse repeat, keeps the game fresh… I haven’t been stressed once playing the game since 2-2-2 came out, it’s been enjoyable.

I’m plat tank & support and diamond dps. I enjoy playing all 3 roles equally, especially more so now that I get to play the role I que for and I don’t have to worry about being matched with 5 other people who want to play tank/support/dps at the same time.

It’s brilliant.

5 Likes

fixed that for you
getting matched with 5 other players who wanted to tank or support was never, ever a problem

If it ever happened that there were more than 3 players on a team who intended to play support/tank, at least two of them were always super happy to give it up for DPS

1 Like

Yeah I can’t relate to this. I’ve very, very rarely had an issue with this pre-222 lock. I suspect few people have to the extent you portray, but they just remember those outlier games where it was a problem BECAUSE it was such a shock/break from the norm.

December 18, 2018: “We need a second tank why won’t anyone tank!!!11”
->
“Ugh that game felt really bad to play why won’t the game balance roles!”
->
32 games happen where the team is reasonably balanced
->
January 8, 2019: “Really, ANOTHER game where we can’t get a second tank? WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN TO ME!”
->
142 games where your team is reasonably balanced
->
Today: “So glad we have 2-2-2, before this I couldn’t get a balanced team LITERALLY ever.”

1 Like

This attitude shouldn’t be playing competitive at all then.

It’s possible to strike a balance. That’s what everyone does to some degree. If you didn’t strike a balance you wouldn’t be playing the game since ultimately people do choose to play based on fun.

maybe they did this just to show us “we” were wrong and they’ll set it back soon.

imagine if they spent the last year on improving MM opposed to role queue :expressionless:

Fun does not mean Casual .