Role Queue Compromise

can we please have it already not even being a jerk here like… I really wanna enjoy overwatch and role que is like a wet dream for a lot of people… to finally have reasonable team comps.

2 Likes

I suggest a special role queue system. You have a 2-2-2 lock with a twist. You will have to make three new hero classes however. Tank-Damage, Damage-support and Support-Tank. One from each roll can at any time flex to a hero from the in-between hero roll that has their roll name in them as well. E.g. two Tank players can still not switch to any of the pure Damage or Support rolls, however any one of them at any given time, but not both, may switch to one of the heroes from the Damage-Tank, or Tank-Support rolls. Heroes added to the Damage-Tank class are D.Va., Roadhog, Wrecking Ball (should possibly stay on Tank) and Zarya. DPS-support consists of Mei (could maybe be a Tank-DPS otherwise), Sombra and Symmetra. Support-Tank for now only have Brigitte.

This would give a lot more flexibility to the 2-2-2 and a lot of the creative comps that has existed during Overwatch lifespan doesn’t need to be abandon, only GOATS would disappear since it has proven to be the hardest to balance as of yet. I would also like to see the colors of the UI for the rolles twitch around a little to reflect the roll changes. Damage red, Damage-tank orange, Tank yellow, Tank-support green, Support blue, Support-damage purple. Most color “gradient” would be work really. Maybe making hero selection a wheel would be nice as well, similar to this http(s)://youtu.be/Za-uiljuq5A but more polished, and I rather have locked heroes’ portraits grayed out than disappear maybe.

Otherwise I suggest a hard 2-2-2 lock, but you can call a vote that you wish to switch roll with one of your teammates and if they agree you may do so. The the both of you have to go back to spawn and when both have pressed the hero switch button you roll locks are switch. One player may also call a vote, on which two others have to agree, that they are allowed to flex to another roll. A bit hard to use at times, but any less votes and it becomes too uneven and if more it might prove too hard to get agreed upon in the heat of battle, but it would be much better than a pure lock.

This would force people into role specific accounts and they would never flex for fear of being forced onto tank/support - especially if they are dps.

I wish it was just a setting that we could change; I go through phases of playing the game. I started playing healers all the time, then played tanks for a while, now I’m interested in healing and doing DPS. If we could select a few characters that we’re maining on our profile but still have the ability to flex but we were just more likely to be sorted with people who have their ‘preferred’ characters mesh well with ours - it would just be so much better. Just ANYTHING to stop the absolute randomness of the matchmaker right now.

I don’t care if it’s something we have to set like our relationship facebook status- that would at least lend an element of customizability and control to the players so we’re able to play the characters we want to play more frequently without it just not fitting in with our totally random team.

The lack of role queue has made this game frustrating for me. Most games feel like I’m forced to decide between solo healing/tanking. I can never get a chance to play a DPS without being the third or fourth player to do on a team. 2-2-2 is almost the only time I feel like I can have an actual competitive match.

1 Like

keeping this thread alive…

Actually it will make it easier, because with 3 different Skill Ratings the chance is much higher that at least one of them is close enough to one of yours to group up for a comp match.

Click on the players career profile, look at the number listed under “Tank SR”, compare it to the SR of the role(s) with which you want to play with him.

It is not really much different or more complicated than it is now.

Hear that all you 2/2/2 naysayers? What have the 2/2/2 proponents been saying… it will make for a much more manageable balance proposition…

Please Jeff, we need this sooner rather than later. One question - if we got 2/2/2, would be it ladder / OWL only? I think a lot of more casuals are terrified it will be applied to QP…

people who are against 2/2/2 literally don’t understand anything about the game and play only selfishly. When even the game dev says it would fix match making. NAH He is wrong too…

Funny cause even Jeff said in a interview that adding role Q would increase queue times for DPS players…

Also, wanting role Q and 2/2/2 is being more selfish. “PLAY HOW I WANT YOU TO PLAY!” Is what I get from this…

1 Like

he said it would increase times for dps sure… so? play a healer or tank then and learn a new role or wait seems pretty simple to me. Oh no! because there’s a line at Disney and you can’t go to the front of the line immediately and have to wait… U mad bro?

he also said it would help match making and make balance easier but okay just ignore the actual meat and potatoes of his conversation and the fact he thinks it’s a good idea to keep pushing your still wrong opinion.

You are really down playing long queue times. Imagine waiting 10~20 mins to queue only to have a leaver and it’s back to waiting. I’m a tank/support player and it would be stupid for DPS players having to wait.

Yeah… I don’t believe that for a second. Matchmaking will still suck and if they can’t balance their own game I don’t expect them to when 2/2/2 is forced…

As much as I can see a role que.
I don’t want it decided for me.
My three main heroes are Mei, Rein, Mercy for Hours played.
I’d rather just stick to one role at a time.

I already have those times and longer…some days/nights… @ Clonedpickle and so do most who are in masters or above…

So you think even the dev is incorrect on the fact it will make it easier to balance. Got any credentials or any knowledge of player bases and how they function, match making systems or anything or are you talking out of your butt because role que would make you sit and twiddle your fingers longer because you refuse to play anything but dps?

decided for you? you mean having 2 tanks 2 healers 2 dps? you know as soon as it is implemented there would be sweeping patch notes for changes on hero’s and the more hero’s released will bring more play styles to the game… but lets keep blinders on people.

Again tho why should DPS have to suffer over you and everyone complaining about ‘muh comp’?

I’m a tank/support player but hey keep assuming I’m a DPS, also coming from a alt profile which is quite amusing…

As for proof, have you played Overwatch recently or have you been living under a rock? We had questionable reworks, buffs and nerfs to the point where I don’t think they know what they are doing. The match making is in the same boat, tho I do think a complete SR reset is needed as well.

This current dev team’s track record is not showing me that they are up to the job so excuse me if I don’t believe them

@Clonedpickle

Why is waiting in a que like most games have considered suffering? again oh no you have to wait in line a little longer if your dps? so? I have pure dps alt account’s including this one that would have to wait longer in que’s do you see me complaining? when I know the fact 2/2/2 would do so much for the game and make the games more enjoyable and balanced I’m so willing to wait I hate pub stomping people or getting random top 500 stacks I want more hard matches not swinging one way or the other right out of the gates?

My mains are healer, this is my alt because I wanted to have fun and play one of the hero’s I wanted to play. I still however understand that having 2/2/2 will benefit my dps account as well because the games will be more balanced so I’m willing to wait a little longer to play my dps hero i want to play where as if I do hop on my healer mains I can get in faster I’m okay with that heck WoW already does that and many other games.

@Clonedpickle you also understand SR would get a reset when the new system would come into place too but you didn’t even read that did you it would be a complete SR system rework… and its already being worked on from what he said so it’s just a matter of time anyways. :man_shrugging:

Most games have something to do like when I play FFXIV unlike Overwatch and those things queued last longer then matches in Overwatch. If there are long queue times people have the right to complain about it

Yeah! It will be enjoyable not being able to switch mid match if someone is tilted, It’s going to be fun to have throwers cause of a pick they don’t like. Granted that happens now but it’s not going to stop. Playing with friends will be a blast having to keep all my SR on classes up just to play with them.

As for the balanced part again, they haven’t proved they can balance. You don’t know the dev team and what they are coming up with. The games themselves will still swing in one way the other.

As someone that is on the side that do not want role queue going into the game (or, if its inevitable, at least have a flex option if your three role SR are close enough), you are wrong here.

Having well-specific roles and limitations built into the game makes balancing much easier because you know the boundaries you need to keep.

There is no discussion that role queue will make balancing easier and more streamlined.

The main discussion is that this might represent the death of hybrid heroes, since they need to fit more into their main role. And this can affect even community favorites, like Roadhog, Zarya, Zenyatta and Sombra.

1 Like

I’m not saying it won’t be easier but if this team can’t balance their current game why should I believe them that they can with 2/2/2 forced their track record is not really in their favor…