Rise of battle Mercy's?

If you want to be technical, no Support does not equal healing. But it does in Overwatch. Why else do you think Symmetra was taken out of the Support category? In Overwatch, for a support to be a support and to actually be played they have to have a healing ability.

Where did I say that? If you solely play Mercy as a DPS while refusing to heal anyone then yes you are throwing. But if you go DPS Mercy every now and then but also still heal when your team needs you too that’s fine.

Just don’t. Trying to play smart doesn’t make help your case. Because you’re failing at it. All because you’re healing yourself, doesn’t mean you’re helping your team. sigh

I’m not. But if I am critical and have a Mercy way behind enemy lines by herself, or behind me with her pistol out shooting everyone and blatantly ignoring me then yes I will be mad. That is throwing.

No, because DPS are getting value out of killing. Not her. If someone wanted to be effective by getting kills, they should play DPS not a Healer.

No… it wouldn’t. Because you’re filling 1 of the DPS slots with a terrible DPS. Mercy might have a gun, but picking her over a DPS hero is just stupid. You’re also taking away a healer from your other support mains which they could be playing more effectively.

When a team has to work around the fact someone picked a Support hero to only play DPS, that is called being selfish.

Battle Mercy is fine as long as you also do your fair share of healing.

It may be terrible, but she can still heal. And still should heal. Zen’s healing is terrible, you think when I play Zen I simply don’t heal? No. Mercy’s healing is still better than a lot of Supports. There is no justification for a Mercy not healing at all.

I’ve seen them in-game whining over nerfs and somehow proving a point by throwing. And I’ve also seen players on here claim they never heal because ‘what’s the point?’. I get Mercy players don’t like the nerfs, but throwing games only makes them look worse.

Stop bringing this up because every time you do I lose respect for you.

Just not true though is it? If I’ve got a Widowmaker on 20HP, and there is a Winston attacking her the best thing to do is heal her. I don’t believe Mercy can outheal Winston, however is still gives Widow more time to kill the Winston.

I am too, but, uhhh… it could happen. Maybe not removing her pistol entirely, but if Battle Mercy becomes too common, they could actually justify a pistol nerf to have Mercy focus on heals again.

Here’s to hoping.

Battle mercys are not going to become more common. If that was going to happen, it would have happened when mercys healing got nerfed and her pistol became a better ult charging tool.

Her ult is better now, but it’s still no transcendence and it still won’t make any sense for a mercy player to neglect her team for the sake of building up more ult charge.

1 Like

You’ve essentially said that Battle Mercy is throwing which is basically “don’t play Battle Mercy” even though they can still get value out of them.

But, using your analogy, playing Hog and just healing himself makes him Support Hog Hog…Hog… (gotta get that echo in). So if that makes him a support, shouldn’t Mercy healing herself make her a support? She is still getting numbers for the healing stat.

It’s really not. If they are AFK in spawn, then yeah, sure. If they are jumping off the map over and over, definitely. But picking a hero and choosing a different way to play them but still getting value? That’s fine. I do that all the time.

Killing is killing, my dude. Tanks get values out of killing. DPS get value out of killing. Supports get value out of killing. It means it’s one less enemy they have to deal with. So yes, Mercy can get value out of killing.

I mean, if need be, I am sure one of the tanks can essentially play as a DPS. D.Va and Hog do tons of damage. And it wouldn’t be the first time a comp only ran one DPS. S3 Triple Tank saw Soldier as the sole DPS. It won’t be optimal for Mercy, but she can still get value. She can still contribute to the team. She can still get stuff done.

Again. Who really wants to play Mercy? The people that don’t like her won’t pick her in the first place if they don’t have to. And the people that do like her have had less and less fun over the series of nerfs. The people that I do see play Mercy, have either mained her since they got the game, or they are finding something new to do with her, or some other way to get value from her. I seldom see Mercy in my games, but if I see one in my games and they go Battle Mercy, am I going to say they’re throwing and report them and criticize them? Probably not. In fact, with the Hog changes coming in, I just might help them get those kills and hook whoever they’re shooting at. You do you, Battle Mercy. You do you.

When someone picks anyone that is not meta, the team has to work around it. If the team needs a Reinhardt, but their tank can only play Orisa, they can work around that. If they need a Zarya, but their off-tank can only play D.Va, the team can work around that. Shouldn’t the same apply here? They would be dealing with a playstyle/hero that is not commonly seen, so it’d make sense that they would be willing to work around it.

Zen’s healing is also kind of a ‘fire and forget’ kind of healing, and you can heal and do damage at the same time. You can’t with Mercy. Yes, most Mercy players will probably heal in between fights. I have never seen Mercy players who have never healed. They all do. They exist.

I mean, her self heal is really good. Her self heal contributes to her healing. Have I mentioned her self heal? Because her self heal can be really useful. Did I also mention Hog has a self heal? And that if he does nothing but self heal, he reaches his final form and becomes Support Hog Hog Hog… Back to Mercy, though, she has a really solid self heal and it can get her out of tough situations, especially if she uses Valk since that gives her a constant self heal.

Have I mentioned self heal enough?

1 Like

Erm, fyi, Valkyrie makes her have infinite ammo and previously her projectille speed was faster.

Im pretty sure they at least had Battle Mercy in mind when it came to Valkyrie :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yup. When they first announced her rework in the Dev Update, they even said that the changes would allow Battle Mercy players to have a chance to shine. I think the biggest part was the faster firing speed, and that eventually got removed. But now that part is coming back to fruition.

Ill say it and Ill keep saying it again.

Blizzard brought this on themselves, players are just making use of what they have.

:man_shrugging:

No, I said only playing Battle Mercy is throwing. Doing absolutely no healing is throwing.

Fine, how about ‘Healer Hog’.

If you take a support hero and don’t heal with them at all especially when their primary function is to heal, then yes it’s throwing. You’re disrupting your team.

Of course she can, but she gets more value out of doing something like hmmm. I don’t know, healing? Which is what she’s supposed to be doing. Also, Mercy is not a better DPS than the DPS heroes themselves. So you’re getting less value out of a DPS Mercy than just a DPS.

Again. Selfish. You’re expecting your team to work around the fact you want to only play Battle Mercy and refuse to heal them.

Not an excuse to throw a game.

Not really. When someone picks a hero and they don’t do their job, the team has to work around it.

Yes because they are still doing their job as Orisa. However, if you refuse to heal as Mercy you’re not doing your job. sigh Again I can’t believe I am having to explain this, and the fact you think it’s okay for someone to pick Mercy and do absolutely no healing.

Neither can Ana. Do you see her being selfish and refusing to heal? A main healer shouldn’t be able to do damage at the same time as healing.

The problem with the pistol-first play style is that it exposes Mercy to enemy fire. Her survivability is entirely built around the idea that she should avoid line of sight with the enemy at all times if possible, and being too aggressive is a great way to get Mercy domed by the red Widowmaker.

The other healers who are designed to fight have constant near-uninterruptible self healing (Lucio, Moira, Brigitte), extreme range and hitscan (Ana), or extreme damage output (Zenyatta). All of them can seek out fights because they have the right tools to stay alive either through self sustain or effective pressure. Mercy does not.

In order for battle Mercy to become a viable strategy instead of a meme, Mercy needs serious buffs to her pistol and/or her in-combat survivability. For the moment, you’re just plain better off running Zenyatta for that instead.

That’s fine, but you forgot the echo. It’s Support Hog Hog Hog…

Or in this case, Healer Hog Hog Hog…

Yeah, it’s unexpected and definitely something you need to work around, but you’re still getting value out of Mercy.

She can still get value. It’s not the most value she could be getting, but there are still people that play Symmetra when they could be getting more value with any other DPS hero. It’s the same concept.

Again. I have never seen a Mercy that outright refused to heal people. I have seen Battle Mercy before, and they usually heal when there is nobody to shoot at.

It’s not throwing if they still get value.

If instead of a Rein, your main tank is Orisa, Zarya isn’t going to cut it. Those two really don’t have any synergy because Zarya needs her bubbled people to be aggressive and Orisa is not. So if the Zarya wants an off-tank that combos well with Orisa, they can go Roadhog (my personal favorite tank combo) or D.Va, but Roadhog would be best. So in that instance, yes the team is having to change to make the Orisa pick better.

Your job as Mercy is to contribute to the team, however you can. Healing is the obvious answer, but there are other ways of doing your job. You are support so as long as you are providing a way for the team to survive the fight and defeat the enemy, she is helping. They won’t need healing if the enemy team is dead.

Neither can Moira (unless you count orbs) but you still see people complain about DPS Moira and DPS Ana. Battle Mercy is just like those two except it has a cooler name besides just DPS Mercy. They’re just trying to make the most out of her kit, really. And her self heal really helps her survive the team fights so she could then make sure her team survives by taking out the threat. It’s a doable playstyle. You just need your team to give it a try.

Also, just like to add, this isn’t very Zenyatta Doughnut Movement of you.

its always been like that but now its more prominent

“Less effective” - Let’s compare DPS Mercy to another DPS, say Soldier:76

Shots - M:20, S:25

shot type: M: projectile, S: hit-scan

reload time - 1.5 seconds each

Damage per shot: M:20, S:9-19 (due to distance fall-off)

head-shots: both

movement abilities: M: Guardian Angel, S: sprint

healing team-mates: M: Biotic staff - single target, S: biotic field - area healing

ultimates: M: unlimited ammo - can still head-shot, S: “perfect” aim - cannot head-shot

Plus Mercy can bring a team-mate back into the fight every 30 seconds

Seems like in the hands of the right person (i.e. someone better with projectile heroes than with hit-scan ones), a Battle Mercy can be just as effective a DPS as Soldier:76.

1 Like

If the only way to get 60 HPS is to Valk, I will do what the developers are afraid to do and use that 60 HPS. In order to that, I must sacrifice nothing and have fun with Mercy instead of playing a healbot. The horror!

With Valkyrie as her ult, her heals nerfed and now this, there is literally no reason not to battle Mercy. Rise and become DPS my fellow Mercy mains! >:D

4 Likes

So, we are going to see Mercy players trying to get the most out of her kit get banned shortly after the PTR changes hit live? There are already a lot of people on the forums threatening to report Battle Mercy players for throwing the game. And the reporting system does not care for what reason people report you, it is automatic and based on quantity of reports.

Oh gosh.
As a Widow main
i’m afraid

4 Likes

Can you please not put words in my mouth?
It makes you look bad.

Never did I say I agree with Battle Mercy, simply that plying Battle Mercy isn’t throwing.
I am quite happy with the Mercy changes, thank-you.

Ah.
We must have been missing our greatest healer for ages then.
Symmetra.

1 Like

TBH I don’t think many of them even care anymore. Blizz had made OW so cheap now that they can just buy a new account, or some might already have a smurf to get away from the “Oh you have X on hours on Mercy, {insert generic insult to them being a Mercy Main, being boosted,how they’re throwing if they don’t pick Mercy,}”.

Yeah I know private profiles exist now but still could have gotten them before all that. Or even after just so they can try out new heroes without getting stomped…

Then again an influx of report SHOULD raise a flag to Blizz that something might be going on…but then again this is Blizz and they’re slow to pick up a lot of things.

As for me I say; go strong Battle Mercys!

1 Like

I watched one of Luminums videos last night detailing why they thought Mercy wasn’t as bad as people think she is and the things she does that nobody considers.

For instance: When Mercy Valks, there’s really no reason not to contest Widow, or even better: Ana. If Mercy is Valk’ing and going battle Mercy “she’s not healing her team >>>>>:(“, but if she’s contesting the Ana (and let’s face it Valk Mercy will probably kill Ana) that Ana isn’t healing her team either.

When she Rez’s your Rein, he blocks more damage that he otherwise wouldn’t have because he was dead. When she Rez’s Genji and he uses his blade to kill 3 people and get potg, it’s because Mercy Rez’d him. If she Rezs Ana and she goes off to get an obscene amount of healing, it’s because she was Rez’d. In a way, Mercy facilitated that blocked damage, those kills, and the healing.

She baits enemies like no other support except for Lúcio. By this I mean if you’re pocketing someone, but have aggressive positioning, the enemy team is going to want you more than who you’re pocketing, but Mercy has the best mobility in the game, so it isn’t like even if you’re exposed for a bit (barring there being snipers) you can freely escape more often than not. This allows whoever you’re pocketing breathing room and mitigates the fact that she only does 50hps. She can make so many different heroes waste so many resources just to try to kill her simply by existing, and it’s more so than Lúcio, because unless he’s the last one alive nobody is going to scramble to kill him because nobody cares about Lúcio.

I agree with many points in the video, obviously. I think the things Mercy provides are unique and strong in their own way, just underestimated. Their main bit of advice: be aggressive. That includes busting caps in someone trying to flank you.