RIP Widowmaker [MEGA Thread] </3

Double Sniper was the response to Brigitte’s Triple Support meta. After that, Brigitte dropped off the map and Widow/Hanzo still stayed behind. All of a sudden, Dive comp was free to come back, but… It didn’t. More often than not, it was Orisa coming back into the fray because Reinhardt can’t effectively deal with Widow/Hanzo due to his job using his shield and Winston doesn’t provide enough shields and can get kited very easily by the snipers.

The big weakness that Snipers should have is lack of easy mobility. Why else do they slow down when aiming their shots? That’s why positioning is the way you deter Dive Tanks like Winston and D.VA. Not to mention Widowmaker is a long range sniper, meaning that she should be more so used on maps with long sightlines like 1st and 3rd phase of Gibraltar, Junkertown, or Ilios Ruins instead of being ran everywhere.

Good poste mate! Totally agree with you like widow 270 hours, but i will stay as widowmaker, i start when dive rules, genji and winston try to taste my french croissants )) Tracer alway come to see something in my scope. So i learned how to survive, im in 97 % of death amount and have 3,2 ED? this is 96%. It was when hook was on 12 sec cd, so 10 second it doesnt matter for me, mostly any way i will kill them all, guys Widowmaker is an orthodox sniper and we beleive in her ))) Widowdox faith )) We beleive in one shot and the holy hook!

1 Like

There’s a worrying trend of nerfing heroes that have become strong as a result of favourable metas towards them.

I would have said Widowmaker was squarely in that bracket of ‘pretty well balanced’ yet suddenly she receives a couple of nerfs out if no where now that dive has become less prevalent.

Also, it is worrying that multiple changes go in at once that dramatically alter the strength of a given hero anyway and should be considered first before applying nerfs.

In Widow’s case:

• Wrecking Ball = 600HP dive tank with no crit box she cannot do much about = less Widow
  • Brig shield bash nerf = more dive = less Widow
  • Fall off buffs to Mei, McCree and Solider = more viable counter sniping = less Widow

…then they add 2 nerfs on top…why such a massive balance swing? :frowning:

3 Likes

lmao what, shields are a nerf for her? they were always there, how are they a nerf?

And winston may deal 60dps, and mercy heals 50hps, which means that the hero who is pocketed will take only 10dps, lmao you could literally kill the monkey before it kills you xD

stop telling me about those moments where u headshot the Winston that jumps on you… all of those arent consistant… I mean, you dont headshot a Winston every time he jumps on you… and its not only because of Winston… 10 seconds hook will make Widow in the position where she will be dead everytime something jumps on her.

I am a Master Widow with a lot more experience on Widow than all those GMs u were talking about. I play Widow in almost every situation and I know how hard is to use her and be consistant with her. I want to see urself headshoting a Mercy that spams crocuh and moving right to left while spamming shots on u, I want u to consistantly get headshots on Mei while she spams her 150 headshot dmg projectiles… u can counter Widow with many heros and u dont even have to kill her to stop her doing what she supposed to do.

dont sound ridiculous pls, Widow was fine and balanced for 4 seasons, they buffed her to the position where shes not an instant dead target when a dive hero jumps on her. they buffed her to the position where shes a viable dps pick.
so why after 4 seasons of 100% silence people start talking about how OP she is?

1 reason -> Brigitte. Brigitte in game? no dive heros are allowed to do their job since they get stuned to death… that means, why would u push with the team and get stunned to death while u can stand behind everything and snipe people?!
thats mostly the ONLY reason Widow started to dominte… BUT Blizzard is getting rid of it already by nerfing Brigitte, adding Wrecking Ball, buffing some other heros… so this 2 seconds nerf isnt even needed Widow wont be meta next patch even with 8 seconds hook.

what I see is that Widow is back to be a throw pick, means… shes a DPS, she can carry, she can do her job… but shes not that viable since she will get counter A LOT easier… its not only dive and shields… its the fact that other heros can dmg her better now.

Overwatch isnt OWL… u dont have a 6 team of pro players that plays together and build combos together and practice a lot before a match… this is a game where u queue with random players… when you play Widow and people play Lucio Ana as healers… you already know that u gotta be abit more safe since ure not going to get a lot of heals as Widow. in OWL when you play Widow, your support player will for sure pick Mercy… simply like when you play Phara…

we are not OWL players, we are simple players that play unmeta… some of us like Symmetra, others like Sombra… some like Widow… most of us will get banned for playing the heros we like just because of the multiple reports we get for playing those heros…
the people who reports u for playing unmeta heros are probably toxic players but… I can understand them! they simply dont want us to use a dps hero that isnt that viable and gets countered easy without doing his job that well. Hanzo was one of the most hated hero because of the randomnes of his scatter arrow… but now, he is perfect and even op.

Widow with 8 seconds hook isnt op with the next changes. her hook will back to be 8 seconds in 2 or 3 seasons when she will become the new torb in attack.

McCree will be the new Widow next Season.

2 Likes

So, how was this any different from when Dive was meta and the only counter to a good Tracer was another Tracer?

Also, are you seriously insinuating that because you’re the top 1%, you suddenly earn the right to ruin the experience for everyone below you?

2 Likes

The real kick in the teeth is that they nerf her Grapple by 2 seconds, but Hanzo’s lunge by only 1?

4-5 months ago she was trash, it really won’t take a lot to put her right back there.

2 Likes

I mean both got nerfed by 25%, for whatever that’s worth.

Not much since he’s still got the burst to thrive in close combat anyway. Half the problem isn’t so much his escaping as it is he just burns you down anyway.

2 Likes

Hold it Bastion is getting a real buff… I thought i would never see the day. please let this be true…

Widow is already easy to kill even with 8 seconds hook, every dive hero has less cd to their mobility ability. since there are a lot of dive heros in game (and another one added - Wrecking Ball) 8 seconds hook is pretty much balanced! its not like Overwatch maps are all designed for snipers… its not like in every map u have those positions where u stand FAR behind sniping the enemy… there are a lot of moments when u gotta be close to the team to kill otherwise you wont be able to snipe, u wont be able to see the enemy.

let me explain. when u start attacking in kings row, u mostly stand top in the spawn’s window… but since the enemy see you they push abit back to not let you kill them. youre team is pushing but u still cant kill anyone from this position… so what u do is going abit closer to the position where its a lot easier for a dive hero to jump on you…

what im trying to say is - with all of the new changes to the other heros, Wrecking Ball and the 10 seconds hook, Widow wont be viable since she will get countered easily.

1 Like

Yeah…
Hanzo has a much higher dps for some reason than Widow…

1 Like

Pretty much only Bastion beats him for potential, but Bastion can’t move, Hanzo has the best mobility in the game with it.

hes going to be a lot more viable then her…

close to mid range - Widow is very bad, Hanzo is VERY good.
long range - Widow is better because shes hitscan but her movement while in scope mode makes it a lot easier to kill and aim on her.

next patchs McCree and Soldier will punish Widow easier, dive will comeback, Wrecking Ball will wipe her… shields will make her useless…
Widow wont be picked. well she will, in the temple of anubis attack point for a min just to see if u can get a pick or 2… and if not u will switch.

very sad that Blizzard buff their heros depending on meta and pick rate…
oh many people play Widow and stop playing McCree? ok lets nerf Widow and make her useless to make McCree more viable.
there will always be 6 heros that dominate in a meta… that means you are going to nerf more and more heros every season?

what im asking is… why wouldnt Blizzard focus on adding more and more different and unique heros to the game to change the meta and balance the game around them? they are 24/7 changing the same heros again and again in every season.

1 Like

She isn’t balanced at all. From high diamond and upwards (I.e. the ones with good aim), Widow can easily dominate the enemy team and forces the tanks to play extremely passively unless they opt for dive, in which case you still can’t dive the widow because her grappling hook has the same CD as most other movement abilities.
Quite frankly, both Widow and Hanzo should have their HP reduced to 150 in addition to the other nerfs.
The game should be balanced around GM, and nothing else, since that’s where the players who actually know how to use the characters are.

1 Like

I don’t think widow is op but using winrates alone for one of the most skill dependant heroes in the game doesn’t work because bad players pick widow and fail and clutters up the WR

Thats a load of crap in a 1vs1 situation Winston counters a widow

This is so sad, Alexa play Despacito. :cry:

scroll up, somoene posted the cd of every mobility abiliy
Widow’s 8 seconds is still the longst.

anyways, they only reason they buffed her hook to 8 seconds was because they didnt want her to be based on her healers since they already knew that healers are already busy pushing with the team and Widow’s gameplay isnt with the team.
they didnt want Widow to die that easily, they wanted to give her a chance to protect herself abit more… for 4 seasons everyone said that shes balanced, no one talked about her… she was pretty much in a good spot.

those changes comes with the fact that Blizzard wants to change the sniper meta. how do you change a meta? you nerf the heros of the meta.

Hanzo? got nerfed.
Widow? got nerfed.
Zarya? got nerfed.
Brigitte? got nerfed.
Mercy? got nerfed.

typical Blizzard, im not surprised.