Reyes killing Antonio

Assuming this is a serious question, it’s because what he did was straight up murder. Law enforcement aren’t meant to be judges, let alone executioners. They only kill in self defense, and even then, the intent isn’t to kill but to neutralize.

Antonio boasted that he’d be out eventually, and the system would spit him back out to start up his criminal activity again. But being a vigilante isn’t the right answer. You don’t take matters into your own hands like that and enact what you believe is justice. That’s not civility. That’s anarchy. Imagine if every cop just shot whomever they felt deserved it on a whim. That’d be chaos. If Reyes had a problem with the system, he should’ve went through appropriate legal channels to advocate for the changes he believes are necessary. He could’ve made a court appearance during Antonio’s trial and made a severe recommendation to the prosecutor and judge. But to see in general, law enforcement break into someone’s private property and murder someone because of the cop’s subjective idea of justice is sick.

2 Likes

I still don’t see why everyone assumes Reyes wasn’t securing his position with Talon. Killing Antonio cleared the way for Max and Doom to take over.

Because Reyes ppbly did not have beef with OW back then and was part of it.
I thought this sparked his conflict with OW especially that Jack was promoted and not him (or was he promoted before).

I dont know. Antonio was responsible for a bomb and the death of many OW agentd and Lacroix was hurt. Reyes took 3 memberd and went there for revenge. He shoots him. He is dead. Reyes gets scolded.

If he did have the power to do this and if 3 members agreed with it (super cool members with names and backrground and no fodder)… and it was for the greater good and happened in a foreign country anyway.
So reyes just did it adter Antonio told him that it is pointless to arrest him due to his connections.
I wonder what Jack would have done.

1 Like

Reyes was StrikeCommander during the war. The war ended, Overwatch became something bigger, and the position was given to Jack.
There was a tweet with Jeff being quoted, he said that Reyes was relieved that Jack got the promotion and became Strike Commander after the war.

Edit : I found the tweet : https://twitter.com/Autolikescake/status/928528808445014019

2 Likes

Wow, this is new to me. I always assumed that they had some dispute and then suddenly something something explosion and both of them thought it was the other one.
So Reyes always did questionable things but he was okay with Jack being the leader.

Well, things got a bit tense after Rialto fiasco. But a year later, Reyes is still helping Morrison with London’s Uprising - even leading the team through it.

Then we have Storm Rising : we know that Reinhardht have been forced to leave Overwatch (still don’t know everything that happened) - we don’t know yet if Ana Amari is “dead” (the sniper duel she lost agaisnt Widowmaker)

But we know that they are arguing :

Winston : What do you think will happen if we can’t get Max?
Tracer : They’ve been threatening to reassing the entire operation.
Mercy : Morrison and Reyes have been arguing about it quite a bit lately.
Tracer : Might be the end of the line for us too…

And then, you have the explosion that “killed” Morrison and Reyes some time after this Havana mission (it happened 6 years prior, so the same year as Storm Rising)

2 Likes

After Storm Rising and before the explosion of Swiss HQ there is capturing Doomfist by Genji, Tracer and Winston - the one in Doomfist Origin.

1 Like

Well yes, 3 weeks after Storm Rising exactlly (didn’t think of including it since we were talking about Reyes and Morrison arguing ^^ ) : https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1121504149734952961

1 Like

He had orders and he disobeyed them. And Overwatch suffered because of it. I agree with you, but you have to remember that a lot of people’s perception of reality is selective. People were looking for an excuse to not trust Overwatch. Reyes gave them that excuse. The being said, he could’ve been a little more discrete.