Reverting to Mass Res - And the Common Misconception

Most people didn’t care one way or the other, and a vocal minority (which is what we all are here on the forums) started speaking up only after certain popular streamers started bashing Mercy and Mercy mains on-stream.

Resurrect as an ultimate wasn’t a problem in this community for more than a year, and not one of the gameplay issues raised by the devs in the patch notes of Mercy’s rework actually required a rework of that magnitude. No counterplay? Add a cast time. Mercy wants teammates to die? Add an area heal so she doesn’t have to use the actual Resurrection to heal them. Mercy not participating in the fight? Cast time takes care of that. She’d die any time she waited to fly in alone after-the-fact instead of actively participating.

The problems the community had with Resurrect could have been easily addressed without turning Mercy into a monster and then completely gutting her kit to the point where it’s impossible to make huge game-changing plays. A single resurrect can have impact, but it’s nothing like the multi-kill potential of other ultimates or team-saving potential of other support ultimates like Mercy used to have.

Mercy doesn’t have her own moments in the game anymore. Instead, Mercy POTGs are now nearly always a Resurrection followed by her resurrected ally doing all the actually POTG-worty things. There are no highs and lows. Mercy simply exists in a constant state of mediocrity, which is why her players are STILL upset that she was ever changed in the first place almost a year later.

13 Likes

It’s not about hating ults. It’s about the ults being not fun to play against.
That’s different.

Sorry I can’t watch another video from her. But they won’t revert rez as they have made their point on the matter.

1 Like

Not really,

Rally is a proactive Ult with best value being between engagements. Valkyrie has no where near as much value between fights, it’s intended usage is to initiate a push or sustain a push, and unfortunately, she tends to fail at both in comparison to the other supports. Bad ult economy with Brig would be upon a single target or away from the team, and is usually pretty punishable. Not sure how that ties into any correlation to Mercy.

Nano-boost is intended specifically to be a single target proactive ultimate. You use it when you need to turn the tides, specifically if your target also has a team wiping ultimate. I’m not sure how this relates to Valkyrie either in terms of bad Ult economy.

The point made is that due to how weak Valk is now, there is no real danger of saving ults. It used to be “Hey, let’s prioritize our ults before the Mercy rezzed”, since blowing all your ults at once had real consequences. Now, such a hard check to ult wasting is next to nearly non-existant. Now it’s a matter of whoever has more ults win, a numbers game. Which is overall in my opinion, bad game design.

You are entitled to your own opinion, I’m not going to try to convince you otherwise

I’m entitled to want mass res, as you are entitled to want res removed. So no, I will continue to want a revert, but thanks for your thoughts!

They have? From what I’ve seen all Jeff said was that there was no plans to revert mercy, and then a few months after, they revert Mercy by bringing her healing back from 60hps to 50hps. So do enlighten me if you’ve heard confirmation from him otherwise that has Jeff sp[specifically saying “We’re not reverting Resurrect.” I’d love to see the proof :slight_smile:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

5 Likes

Sorry no specifics, but he says he doesn’t want to. https://twitter.com/eeveea_/status/961437511959678976?lang=en

Nice post. <3

3 Likes

I’m sorry… But without the specifics… You don’t really have confirmation on whether or not Jeff is specifically referring to mass res do you?

Otherwise that’s an inference, not fact. There’s no sources that says that Jeff meant mass res specifically, if I recall.

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
xavvypls

1 Like

No, most people hated it, they just hated it quietly. It was an incredibly cheap ability with extreme power and nearly no counterplay. Nobody liked it except Mercy players.

Also, I think once you added cast time, removed invuln, etc. and made it more fair for the other team, youd have something more like e-rez than mass rez anyway.

1. Mass rez was bad
  2. Blizzard said Valk was gonna be the new ult.
  3. I prefer chain healing/power up
1 Like
  1. That’s your opinion. Not fact.
  2. Blizzard never said anything, Jeff did. Regardless, there is no confirmation that Valkyrie is going to be her ult permanently.
  3. That’s fine, I prefer Mass resurrect.

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
xavvypls

11 Likes

A revert would mean mass rez tho.

That’s literally what makes them hypocrites. Because they use their fun as an argument, but don’t care about Mercy’s.

Mercy is barely Mercy.
They had to nerf one of her identity and she gets rid of her other main aspects while ulting.

And most of them were op or impossible to code.

Can you stop being passive-agressive ?

8 Likes

You’re assuming the opinions of people who didn’t care enough to give their opinion. Unless you can read the minds of millions of people at once, you have no basis upon which to make this claim.

No, it would be completely different. It would be an earned resource instead of a 30-second cooldown, it would be questionable whether or not it was a good idea to use it for a single downed ally, and it would most importantly affect multiple targets instead of just one.

You should have a look at Titanium’s thread Why I Have Yet to Not Despise Mercy's Current State. Specifically, check out the “A Solution” section down at the bottom of his post, which describes in great detail exactly the kind of changes I have been proposing to the Resurrect ult for a very long time. I’m not crazy about the Pacify ability on E and would prefer a mini Valkyrie instead, but it sounds like you haven’t invested much time into actually reading up on the great suggestions for the hero the community has had beyond #RevertMercy.

13 Likes

Then please remind me how hard it is to play support?

They reverted her healing recently… So not exactly.

I’m sorry, where in my post did I say that I found playing support “difficult?”

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
xavvypls

6 Likes

Reverting Mercy back to mass rez wouldn’t help with her healing. Chain healing ensures that teammates nearby won’t die sooner.

Impact of chain healing = impact of juggling single beam.

TL;DR:

Good Mercy’s don’t need it. Most Mercy’s don’t need it.

9 Likes

You would be correct, however the problem with Mercy was never her healing. In fact, she is still arguably one of the best healers now. So I don’t think her not having Valk on Q would hurt her all that much…

I think having mass res as an ultimate, tweaking it to be resource based so that you earn a res with a specific amount of healing done, add LOS and vulnerability, and then making Valyrie the E move, with tweaks to balance it’s duration (and maybe range) is the most optimal form of a revert + rework. Yes, this is something I would think would not only give her a lot more impact, but once again allow her to be both balanced and fun not only to play with, but also against.

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
xavvypls

3 Likes

Considering that Valkyrie either:

• Heals the affected ally(s) too little to sustain them through focus-fire
  • Heals targets that don’t need healing, resulting in no actual benefit

A single-target beam on a player halfway-decent with Mercy will yield pretty much the same results as a Mercy in Valkyrie. Bonus points of we’re talking 60 HPS versus 50 HPS.

Furthermore, this claim:

Can be disputed statistically.

Mercy’s average healing/game as of June 28th, 2017 (pre-rework): 11905.
Mercy’s average healing/game as of August 12th, 2017 (pre-rework): 11912.

Mercy’s average/game from this past week? 10913.

I think an increase in healing output by 1000 healing/game is pretty significant.

14 Likes
  • Chain healing doesn’t encourage the Mercy player to prioritise healing. It rewards the player for not using Mercy’s kit to its full potential, and it doesn’t encourage people to learn how to correctly prioritise targets.
  • Juggling beams to prioritise your target can virtually reproduce the effects of chain healing by maximising your healing output.
  • Chain healing is powerless against focus fire.

Chain healing doesn’t deserve to exist in this game.

15 Likes