Reset MMR, please

Could anyone taking this position please back it up with some kind of fact-checkable logic? I don’t mind how you approach your argument…just stop spewing the same echo chamber non-science without some kind of mechanical/structural reasoning.

We’ve looked into this problem - around 22 matches to bin people into 22 different ranks. Those that want out of low sr, tryhard and get out, those that want to derank, lose and drop. Those that don’t belong, get reranked. Those that are already where they belong, return back within a few games.

I don’t think this would be a good idea. I don’t feel like getting stomped by higher tier players each new season just because mmr resets.

Even worse would be if I somehow got a bunch of good players on my team consistently and it pushed me up to a rank I don’t belong. Even if it would only be for a short time it would suck. I’d rather be placed close to where I should be and try to work my way up than be placed, or accidentally carried, too high and get stomped on my way back down to bronze.

The way it is now is better. I get placed with other lesser skilled players and we fight each other. It’s toxic enough as it is with people being pretty much the same skill level. I can’t imagine the toxicity that would ensue if say some grandmaster got placed with me in a early game on the season. They would expect top tier performance and instead get bronze performance. Just all round not a good idea in my opinion.

I can just imagine the comments:

Higher tiered player: Saiko you suck. Uninstall.

Me: of course I suck that’s why I’m in bronze. Oh wait…that doesn’t matter anymore at the beginning of an mmr reset.

1 Like

There’s been no official confirmation that Overwatch will go free to play.

Regardless, smurf accounts are free to make on console already so there’s already a plague of smurfs ruining the Competitive experience there.

Would prefer if game didn’t have Sr…win get 20 pts…lose get-20 points…and simply match players based on points…no Smurfs…no handicap…no 50% chance every single game…just a simple system.

I know and even with all those smurfs PC feels just as bad with the way comp is balanced. Games feel out of control, win or lose it doesn’t matter the team is still toxic because of something.

Why would they reset MMR? It’s sole purpose it to keep players engaged and keep playing. SR is completely unrelated. The matchmaking they use was never intended to be used in the way it is used. Placement matches are also a huge fallacy; they just hide it from users and then pretend it has been calculated based on the placement matches.

Imagine if they reset MMR… the top 500 players will all be different. People need to realise that the developers either have no clue and don’t really care about creating a fair system or equally likely: use manipulative psychological tactics to keep users engaged.

Think about it, why are smurf accounts even a thing? Buying the game again and playing through competitive will absolutely increase your rank faster. Whatever the excuse it should not happen. Ranks should be more dynamic.

It also makes no sense; what are they ranking if out of 10 players you are 5th then these 10 players are always different depending on the time of day and activity?

It is either broken, corrupt or it is measuring something entirely different.

1 Like

Think of it from the other perspective, though.

You reset everyone to the same rank, say gold. Now, everyone who is supposed to be sub-gold will now get that “exciting grind” in the form of an uncontrollable loss streak until they’re thrown back down to where they belong.

Meanwhile everyone who belongs in gold and maybe plat… that “grind” is now just a dice roll. Their games are now completely out of their hands because they’re where they belong and are being mixed with players who don’t belong there, and all they can do is hope that they get lucky and are on the good side of the GM’s and always go against the Bronze’s.

They could just make everyone play against bots of various difficulty and calculate a score, they could use this score to initially place people without the chaos. Sort of like an entry exam.

there are owl and Top500 players who constantly fail with their alternative accounts in low masters.
Even if at some point they manage to get back to their original rank, there is something wrong with the whole system.
The most difficult matches should take place in the highest ranks. Unfortunately this is not the case at the moment. There are many ways to fix this, resetting a system to a previous state does not change the problem.

1 Like

As many have said reseting the mmr wouls have a lot of negative and maybe some small positive sides…but i say remove the match maker and mmr at all… go off current ranks so if ur 2500 u fight others that are in a rank of 2500-2999 if ur 2000 u fight others that are 2000-2499 …and so on…take away this "the match maker trys to give each team a 50/50 chance of win/lose…no just put rank vs rank thats it…no mmr no even matchs u fight to go up like any normal sport/game that has ever been conpetative.

Think about it, in football the pros are vs the pros…not a pro team vs a collage team…or even a jr team…and the nfl dosnt say ok we cant have player X on this team or they wont have a even match…its this team vs that team …thats it… thats what i vote for bliz to do…let the chaos and fun begin!

Lol you two are arguing over nothing. Jesus.

I think people are still forgetting what this post is about.
I understand that MMR reset for main role would be odd.
And not a great idea at all, actually.
But what I am trying to say, is that MMR should not be shared amongst all roles, if I never touched tank, there is no reason that my tank SR should be where my support SR is.
It’s making the game almost unplayable, with how many people are choosing offrole, and getting into same SR games.
Imagine a Mercy player (Myself) playing widow at a master ranked level, when I have a widow account that is low diamond.
It doesn’t make sense and it shouldn’t be happening.