Repeated crashes to desktop

After months of experiencing this issue and a chunk of time spent on as many possible fixes as i can find, i thought it time i make a support request, before i end up replacing all of my hardware!

I have been experiencing game crashes since april last year, but these were infrequent enough to be ignored initialy. Over time however they escalated to occuring whenever i played, sometimes multiple times in an hour. (Safe to say after the hit to my SR i have had to stop playing comp).

I have tried repair installs and completely clean re-installs, OS and all drivers are up to date, i have removed my overclocks. It seems like they have become less frequent since i took these measures, but they are still happening, and I dont know where to go from here.

The latest log says the following:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
                                ERROR                              
-------------------------------------------------------------------
<Inspector.Summary:>
Overwatch - 1.59.0.0: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading from 0x00000029f4a2cca4
<:Inspector.Summary>

<Inspector.Assertion:>
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading from 0x00000029f4a2cca4

**Crashing Thread** (ID: 11240)

someone seems to have a similar problem HERE

The only unusual thing i can see in the file is that it thinks i only have 4095 MBs of video memory despite running a 1080ti with 11Gb.

Please can someone aid me in diagnosing and fixing this.
Happy to provide any information you need, just ask.

What are the max temps looking like? Have you tried HWMonitor?

Nothing crazy. Just ran for 10 mins in game to get the heat up while logging and CPU topped out at 70 degrees and GPU reached a amx of 78.

I also dont experience these crashes under benchmark/load test scenarios.

Worth also noting that before doing this temp test and while i was waiting for your reply, i decided to play and crashed out of a game with a ‘rendering device lost’ error notification. (This is different to the usual crashes i get but does happen on maybe 10% of them)

If you look in the Windows Event Viewer, or check the DxDiag, you’ll likely spot some TDRs (timeout detection and recovery) for the GPU. The code is 141, sometimes 144. I can take look at your DxDiag for you.

If that’s the case, it means the GPU isn’t responding to Windows commands, either due to heat, conflict with another app, or corrupt drivers. Have you tried removing all drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalling?

I am not sure where to look in the event viewer, but ssearching the DxDiag did return the following two results:

+++ WER2 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: 141
P2: ffffac0f73702050
P3: fffff8027bf13ee8
P4: 0
P5: 360
P6: 10_0_19041
P7: 0_0
P8: 256_1
P9: 
P10: 

+++ WER3 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: 141
P2: ffffac0f73702050
P3: fffff8027bf13ee8
P4: 0
P5: 360
P6: 10_0_19041
P7: 0_0
P8: 256_1
P9: 
P10: 

Are these the “141” issues you describe?

I have done a ‘custom installation’ with ‘Perform a clean installation’ from GeForce Experience. And have been on multiple different drivers over the life for the crashes. But not tried DDU. Would you reccomend this as the next step given heat seems not to be an issue?

(Thanks for your help btw, it is much appreciated)

Yes.

Also yes.

It’s a bit of a process, but it’s worth it if you’re seeing this type of error.

Tried that earlier this afternoon (followed all the instuctions and even removed AMD drivers as i used to have an R9 280x in a while back). Been playing this evening and just hit another crash. This time it held the game open though instead of crashing to DT.

Max GPU temp was 77 degrees.
Log shows:

<Inspector.Summary:>
Overwatch - 1.59.0.0: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading from 0xffffffffffffffff
<:Inspector.Summary>

<Inspector.Assertion:>
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading from 0xffffffffffffffff

**Crashing Thread** (ID: 5596)

DxDiag still has ‘141’ entires.
Let me know if you want to see the full log/DxDiag files and how is best to send them if so.

Can you post a DxDiag and MSInfo separately on Pastebin.com?

DxDiag: pastebin/QBGJ402i and MSinfo: pastebin/p9ANuLzw (i am not allowed to post links)
I had to remove some of the error entries over a few days old from MSinfo as it was too big for pastebin (perhaps i need to look into that too.)

Problem signature:
P1: Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay_5.521.3093.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Did you try turning off the game bar in control panel? Or even game mode?

You could also try disconnecting any other peripherals with screens, like VR-related gear.

Game Bar was disabled, but not game mode. I have disbaled that now, and disconnected the VR headset. I will play some rounds tonight and see if i encounter a crash.

EDIT: Crashed again just now with the “an external program aquired video reasourses” error like the last time.
I believe i have all overlays disabled though.
Let me know if you need new/different logs.
(Had to add as an edit because for some reason i cant post again untill someone else does)

1 Like

posting from a friends account as i cant post a second time with results. Please see the edit to my previous post.
Since that edit i have had many more frequent crashes involving error notifications listing resources being acquired by other things, driver crashes, and even a full blue screen (although that was the first time a bluescreen has happened, so it may be unrelated)

Seems like there is still another app controlling the video card resources since you are getting system errors. Are you using an antivirus like AVG or Avast? Several other players noted an issue with those apps interfering with the game. If yes, you may need to fully uninstall that software until they update their threat definitions.

To continue troubleshooting, I recommend these steps:

Beyond that, I recommend opening a ticket with the staff. Since the error isn’t related to the game client itself their support may be limited, but maybe they have other ideas you can try to fix this.

I have bitdefender. I had read about the AV issues but assumed it would not affect me as my AV was not listed. I will try this.

I will try these too, though the only things i had enabled are dropbox, windows defender notifications and Cortana. So not too hopefull on that front.

I fell it must have some relation to the game, as it only happens in overwatch. Other games run without issue (admittedly i have the most hours on overwatch, so cant be excluded 100%), so even if it is another application interferring, then it is likely a feature of overwatch that it is flagging.

Thankyou very much for your help though, it is most appreciated. If i ever do resolve this then i will report back.

1 Like