Rendering device lost

recently, my game has gone from doing this to almost never, to doing it the very instant I move my cursor in game, move my character, stand still. Menu uses 23% of my gpu while the character select uses about 65%, playing the game blasts it to 100%. I have a Nvidia GTX 960 and it’s a few years old. I don’t know if this is a hardware or software issue, plz help

Have you monitored your temps with an app like HWMonitor, paying special attention to max temperatures?

yes, max cpu temp is 57°C while the gpu is 53°. I doubt temperature is a problem, it never has been.

Can you upload some screenshots of HWMonitor to Imgur with all hardware details expanded?

Hey Mooregames,

I took a look at the rendering device lost crash logs on our side and I do see a bunch of them submitted from you within the last 7 days. They are all showing the reason code as “device removed”. What this means is that your motherboard is somehow detecting your GTX 960 as being physically removed from the slot, which would indicate that this is a hardware issue.

Was the PC moved recently? Sometimes the GPU can be loose or wiggle out of the PCI-E slot on the motherboard and re-seating the card can help. If you are comfortable working on your own system you are welcome to try this, but if not we’d recommend taking the system to a professional or getting someone PC savy to help troubleshoot the hardware.

Resetting the graphics settings to defaults or lowering the settings may help reduce the risk of this happening, but I would still recommend getting it checked out.

I have the same issue as well.
Everything was fine until the latest patch.
I always used the overwatch.exe renaming workaround in previous patches and that seemed to work for months. Now the game keeps crashing on a regular basis.
System wasnt moved or altered in any way or shape.

Lemonwolf,

The rename workaround was only required last year to work around a known issue affecting RTX series cards. This bug was fixed in an Nvidia driver release, so if your Nvidia drivers are up to date you don’t have to use the rename workaround anymore.

I looked up your rendering device lost crashes and they are also showing “device removed” which usually indicates a hardware issue within the system.

The last patch would not have changed anything that caused a rise in rendering device lost reports. If it were the patch these forums would be flooded with reports for that same error, but we are not seeing that.

I would recommend that you submit a ticket and send in your DXDIAG and MSINFO files if you’d like to troubleshoot the issue with us one-on-one.

Sure i can do that.
But its not a hardware issue.
My hardware isnt faulty or broken in any way.
No problems with other games or compute tasks.
I use my system for content creation and am running GPU tasks that are much more demanding than OW. If anything would be wrong with the hardware i would have noticed that in those applications since they are much much more sensitive for hardware errors.