Rendering Device Lost

So this issue has come back up, I assume it has to due with the latest patch. It was a rarity for me to see this more than once or twice in a month. I had it happen 4 times this morning after the patch. Comp is unplayable for me because I’m afraid of being banned for this since if it happens at the start of a match I can’t rejoin in 10 seconds after restarting the blizzard launcher.

Edit: Well I thought this was in technical since that’s the board I was viewing but it’s in general because who knows. Disregard I guess.

Its not an issue with the patch. Rendering Device Lost means your graphics driver has crashed. I had this issue with my laptop before, however I fixed it by undervolting it.

Are you on a laptop or desktop?

No, it’s been an issue for me for Overwatch through 3 graphics cards and 2 builds. It only gets better, it’s never fixed…because Blizzard doesn’t take it seriously from what I’ve gathered from help topics in the past. They just say you are overclocking and I’ve never OC a GPU in my life.

Well that does makes sense, overclocking often leads to overheating, which will cause your graphics driver to crash.

This is very common with gaming laptops since most cannot handle overheating.

I would say try to lower the performance settings and see if your graphics driver crashes.

Since you mention build I assume its not a laptop but a desktop? If it’s a 20 Series RTX this has been a problem but has been reportly fixed or semi fixed in a recent release of the nvidia driver. There’s more discussion on this in the tech support forums

Yeah, I’ve had a 770 that had the issue, a 580 that had the issue and now my 2080 has the issue.

I rolled back the drivers and it’s working so far it’s an Overwatch update interfering with a new driver set…like usual.

How often does it happen? I have a ROG STRIX OC 2080TI and haven’t had this happen to me yet. Even playing in OC mode too

It depends, it will either be frequent or infrequent. It has varied wildly from beta to now.

I rolled back my drivers so its fine now, it kind of sucks that Overwatch is the only game that I have keep track of this kind of thing nowadays. How far Blizzard has fallen.

My and my friends all had this happen, but only when playing Overwatch.

Could it be the power supply not giving the gpu enough juice?

I believe this error happens similar in other games but the content is different. I had the same thing happen in Overwatch and wow and each displayed something different. I am sure other games have their own canned error message too. Hope you get it sorted it out :slight_smile: