Rendering device lost

my game keeps freezing and i get and error saying the rendering device has been lost. what can be done about this? I have a 1080ti and 7700k, so i know it’s not that my system can’t keep up.

My pc is stable even in extremely buggy and unstable games, I find it really weird that a triple a title like overwatch would be so unstable so long after its release.

Howdy!

This type of error is called a Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) In summary this occurs when the GPU/Motherboard doesn’t respond to Windows on time or reports an issue. In your case the device is hung at around 55C I don’t think this is related to overheating. It’s more likely a third party application hook if it started recently.

I would recommend to try the following steps:

1. Download the latest Nvidia Driver, even if you have the latest driver, Here. When you get to the Install Options select: Custom (Advanced) → Next → Checkmark: Perform a clean installation → Finish the install. Don’t restart the PC just yet.

2. Place the system into Selective Startup following the steps Here. Now restart the PC to get into Selective Startup.

3. Set your Operating System and Nvidia Power Settings to high performance!

• Press (Windows key - Q) The search menu will pop up, type in: Power Options
    Hit Enter. Select: Show Additional Plans → Select: High Performance. Exit the window.

• Right click on your Desktop → NVIDIA Control Panel → Manage 3D Settings → Under the Global Settings tab → Select: Power Management mode → Prefer Maximum Performance. Apply → Exit the window. Restart the computer so these settings kick in properly.

Retest! If the issue doesn’t continue try looking for any Overlays, Overclocking software or some anti-viruses like Avast/AVG have Behavior Shield hooks. You need to setup the anti-virus to fully exclude our games to avoid this issue. If the problem does continue collect a copy of your Dxdiag, paste the contents into your reply and highlight the contents then use the code block icon </>.

Thank you!

thank you for the detailed and fast response :o

I would get this error if I overclocked my GPU too much using GPU Tweak II. If you’re doing the same you may want to lower the clock speed a bit. Blizzard games don’t like it when you overclock your GPU unlike some other triple A titles, it doesn’t have a problem.

On my 1080TI I found the safe zone was around 1730 (default is 1705) and it doesn’t give this error but your mileage may vary if you’re doing the same.

My GPU is a ROG STRIX model GTX-1080TI (3 fans). <3 it.

If the other stuff doesn’t work. this worked for me on an RTX 2080ti