"Render Device Lost" Fix for RTX

Can we haven an update???
IT’s been 6months since you gave us the ‘renaming’ workaround which seems succesful for a certain group.

Whatever this does exactly why isn’t this fixed in the maingame or launcher yet??? I’m fed up with manually logging in also my friends don’t see me play in the launcher.

common blizz!!!

My game is so weird, sometimes it will last as long as I want or only a 1/2 hour. i have to do a clean reboot of the launcher everytime I quit though. Also, someone tell me if launching through steam works for them since my current 1 hour session is working through steam.

Edit: Steam Launching did nothing, it did last longer than usual before blue screening my pc.

It looks more like a problem with the cards then just the game. Not sure why my older cards never crashed the game when I was pushing max settings but the RTX does. It doesn’t limit your frames and make it unplayable, it will render frames till it melts it seems, and Windows will crash the drivers before it does. Metro and State of Decay 2 will also push this card for me BUT, they don’t crash. I have no answers for you other then be suspect of the RTX cards.

The problem is with the cards guys. Nvidia are just point blank refusing to give any reply other than wait for an update to fix it.
They escalated my ticket with them 3 times just to give me the run around and provide no info.

Last thing I buy from them tbh Not that it will make a difference, companies like that who get to a certain point stop caring about customer service etc as they know they have tons of people who will continue buying their products regardless.

I would just advise against making any major changes to your pc over this outside of sending the card back and getting something elsewhere.

Hey everyone (again),
Remember how this problem was fixed for me after getting a new RTX 2080? And how I was worried I’d start getting this problem again after playing too much Overwatch? Well, just got the first ‘Rendering device loss’ crash using this new card.

1 Like

So this just gonna continue to be a thing? Only the work around for as long as i have a RTX card?

So yeah, the OverwatchTest.exe is a fix I’ve been using for the past couple months and it absolutely does work. I’m wondering though if this is ever going to be fixed properly? Kind of annoying to have to run OW outside the Blizzard client.

1 Like

I wish the renaming fix still worked for me.

I had no issues when I was running a 1070. As soon as I upgraded to a 2080, I get this error at least once while playing OW, and ONLY on OW. No other game I play has this issue. It’s got to the point where I have to play quickplay until the error shows up so I don’t have to risk getting kicked out of a comp match and losing SR because of it.

It’s absolutely absurd that they IDed a workaround months ago and can’t seem to patch a fix.

i have the issue on a 1060 however its somewhat rare once a day max. It’s still annoying and only seems to happens at the key points in the game were i need to attempt to clutch.

Same here, OW is the only Game that keeps crashing on me.
I have no problems with EA’s completely crap Frostbite Engine, but OW … well.
Currently RTX 2080ti, before on my first Genv 1080 no Problems.
Funniest thing about it: It happens for sure if i hit Endorsement level 4.
So i get a warning about “Leaving bla bla bla” and drop to 3 again, im actually unable to hold 4 for more then 6 Games :wink:
Pretty sure its just Random “unlucky me” but still funny in some way.

there is not only RTX related

I have done a huge research about the crash and rendering device lost issue and it has been a constant problem since 2016

someway this problem stops to occur but blizzard never assumes the charge for it

disappointing but I expected

Rendering device lost is a generic error code. It isn’t even a bug but a safeguard. So no, it hasn’t been a constant problem since 2016 when one rendering device lost isn’t the same as the other.

1 Like

I don’t want to claim this is a surefire fix, but after a game crashes, try to scan and repair the files, it seems to left me play indefinitely until I shut down my pc.

1 Like

I appreciate your help but it doesnt work for me.

Worth a shot if nothing else.

1 Like

Been gaming now for two months without a single crash, used to crash 2-3 times a day. Tried all other fixes but the one that worked was deleting the whole Overwatch profile with nvidiaProfileInspector. Every time you start windows the profile comes back so you must do it every reboot but still totally worth it. Running on w10 and 2080ti

i was doing this for the last months, but right now is even happening with the profile deleted, i don’t know what to do now… i was playing 2 days ago without a problem lol, but started again just now.

1 Like

Profile inspector for me doesn’t work.

1 Like