"Render Device Lost" Fix for RTX

I am so tired now. Got forbidden again.

Guys for anyone having this problem mainly with RTX cards, go into ur overwatch folder, find a exe called “Overwatch”, rename it to something else so its not “Overwatch” anything works. U will need to open the new named overwatch file everytime u want to play.
This fix is for the RDL Problem.

Okay, so I’ve had OW on my new PC since February. It wasn’t until about last month where I started getting this weird error message saying “rendering device lost.” It is affecting my endorsement and drops during comp matches. This doesn’t happen on any other game I play either, just OW. I’m not sure what to do about fixing this
So a quick breakdown of my PC specs
Processor: AMD 2950X Threadripper
RAM: 32 GB
Graphics Card: Nvidia 2080 TI

Agreed this is a huge thing I’ve seen a lot of people get. Just because you don’t have any known bugs doesn’t mean it’s not out there it’s just a less likely occurrence due to how little a splash the 20 series made. I have a 2080 and have lost a good 200sr so far still climbing but it’s just a pain to wait in the corner for 30 min while all the other kids get to play.

I’ll have to try this but honestly the fact you have to uninstall geforce just to play overwatch is absolute bonkers and I thought diamonds were braindead

As, ive mentioned if u look up, try go into ur overwatch folder find “Overwatch.exe” name it to something else besides “Overwatch”, this has fixed it for many people whos getting the RDL error, blizzard themselves has recommended doing this and this has worked for me also, now the downside to this is u have to launch the game from the folder everytime u wanna play, and not the blizzard client. U can make a shortcut to make it easier ofc.

3 weeks now with no issue from doing the following

• removing geforce exp
  • playing in full screen mode only

(card is overclocked and setting are at max)

Renaming etc etc etc never lasted long for me. The above has been solid without a single issue

2 Likes

I’ve bought RTX2060 and started to have this issue every 10-20 minutes. I found something that helped me: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/9n33zf/your_rendering_device_has_been_lost_application/ea6oi8i?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x
Summary:
Open NVIDIA control Panel (Right click on desktop and click on NVIDIA control panel) > Go to Manage 3D settings, under 3D Settings > select Program Settings > Select app/game from the dropdown menu > if it is not listed in the dropdown menu then click Add then select the respective .exe to the list (I was having problems with my Overwatch, so I selected Overwatch from the list) > And now change these settings from Option 2.

Power management mode - prefer maximum performance

Tripple buffering - Off

Threaded optimization - ON

vertical Sync - off

Apply these settings, refresh the Desktop several times, start the game play and check the performance

This is effectively doing the same thing that the OverwatchTest.exe rename does, except that any time your driver updates or Overwatch updates, these settings will get reset. Use the file rename instead.

2 Likes

So i tested out a second solution after the “renaming” solution.
The NvidiaProfileInspector program. So far, 2 weeks of playing and no crashes at all.
Download it and search for Overwatch in the program, then just simply delete the profile.
Once you deleted it, just start the game from the launcher and maybe it will work for you aswell.
Note: If you install a new Nvidia display driver, you need to delete the profile again.
Link: (https ://github. com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector/releases)

I have EVGA RTX 2080 XC GAMING and both the renaming and profile deleting works for this card.

RTX 2070 here. Can confirm that the rename appears to work. Probably the easiest solution until a Blizzard and/or Nvidia fix is released.

Welp, back again…fourth post on the same issue now, 0 responses (surprise)!

Adding even more troubleshooting to the above:

1. I’ve tried full screen with all settings to default
  2. Disabled NVidia shadow play and uninstalled GeForce
  3. Did the rename thing (three separate times now)
  4. Minimal boot
  5. DDU (at least 9 times, including the most recent one like a week ago, in the three years this has been happening - yeah, that long, no fix)

My previous post:

I’ve also had it happen in comp enough to give me a 10 minute suspension. I had gone a week with the renaming “fix” (I use that loosely) not giving an error and decided to try comp. Guess when the error decides to come back? 2 comp games in! Yay!

Hopefully someone from Blizzard actually tries to help - I’m doubtful - but wishful thinking.

Just built a brand new $2000 computer with my S/O.
Graphics card is the Geforce RTX 2070.
It’s been crashing randomly. At first it said “an unexpeted error…” but now it just crashes and doesnt say anything. I’ve been trying everything. Renaming, using the nvidia inspector to delete, updating all drivers, ect. Still happening. Please help. This is the only game she plays. We need to get this solved. Please blizzard.

I also just now just had the exact same problem.
NVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti. Completely crashed windows actually. Had to restart computer.

Okay, second time this has happened in less than 24 hours. What has changed, Blizzard? This is absurd, especially when it takes a penalty on your account.

1 Like

This just happened to me and has happened pretty consistently STILL. Just got locked out of comp for 10min and lost 50 SR because it happened at the start of the match. Even tho I logged back in within 20 seconds. Using an RTX 2080.

Happened 3 times today. I guess I’ll wait untill fix because it’s unplayable (RTX 2070).

So this problem has been ongoing with two of my video cards the R9 390 and now with the RTX 2060 but beside that after reading the forums its been ongoing issue for a long time now.

I have tried every which way (other than going into the Registry) to get this fixed but I have had quite enough personally. I’m not going out of my way to fix this or any other problem with the game. I’ve had enough of getting dropped from play when ever the game decides to let me play for more than an hour with out getting “Render Device Lost” . I have gone through not just this forum but nvidia as well have tried every fix known to get this to work and i have just had enough.
This is all too time consuming to get a game that i bought originally for 60 dollars to not work when I would like to play. Unfortunately, I can’t get a refund for this game cause i have had it for a long period of time which this problem has been ongoing using small fixes until the next patch is up and its the process all over again. Yeah , I went into a little bit of a rant but just frustrated.

Hello, I want to share my Experiences with this issue…
I have this issue with 2 cards:

• RTX 2060 OC edition (6gb VRAM)
  • GTX 1060 (6gb VRAM)

I’ve tried EVERYTHING the blizzard support team had to offer:

• changing the game name
  • reinstall drivers
  • checking my drives for potential malfunctions
  • changing PCI-E slots etc
  • removing potential interveining software
  • Overcocking
  • Underclocking
  • NVIDIA Debug mode
  • NVIDIA Controll panel settings recommended by Blizzard Support team
    (Pre rendered frames etc…)
  • MUCH more

I even went as far to reinstall windows completely…
Wiping everything off my harddrives it still happens…
Debug mode made it less frequent it did NOT solve it so i went to NVIDIA support with this as the blizzard support team send me to them as i tried everything… after multiple stress tests and benchmarkings to test if my hardware is faulty… it was NOT… and now i got told by the NVIDIA support team it is a issue with the game and has to be solved by the DEV team of Overwatch… it kinda makes sense since these crashes did NOT happen in other games… i actually was recording for a Overwatch video as it happend… so footage is available of what happens to me… ( - YouTube )
My specs are:

• Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB
  • Gainward GTX 1060 6GB
  • 32 Gigabyte RAM (2133 hertz)
  • Intel Core i7-7700K Quad core CPU
  • Gigabyte Z170-x Gaming Motherboard
    I hope the DEV team reads it and will be used to help because i’ve lost Hunderds of SR bc of it i dont even dare to play comp at this point…

Again, this is not a fix, unless you are okay using this method every time from now on.
If Blizzard finds this to be the solution, implement and add it so you can use the launcher like how it should be used.

My “fix” currently for the 2070 is putting every setting on low and haven’t crashed. Waste of a 2070 potential but at least I’m not dropping and losing SR.