"Render Device Lost" Fix for RTX

just throwing my 2 cents in,

i7-8700
RTX2080
32GB RAM

didn’t have any issues until the update(?) that introduced the Lucio and Mercy All Star skins. started getting the “render device lost” error about every other game. some times it was in the middle of the game, other at the end, sometime it was right when the game started. anyways, I did the executable name change today and just played 3 Mystery hero games in a row! So far the name change seems to be working for me.

3 Likes

I am currently running

Intel 7700K with a NVIDIA GTX 790 and it crashes never crashed with the “render device lost” error before till now. The amount of posts on here is Crazy why is there no solution yet, has any one posted on the NVIDIA Fourm?

1 Like

This thread is only about the RTX-line of graphics cards. You are more than likely not experiencing the same issue, considering “rendering device lost” is a generic error code that can happen with any graphics card but that doesn’t make it the same issue.

The best option for you is to create a new thread so tech support can help with figuring as to why you are getting the error. In this particular thread your issue probably won’t even get noticed considering you have a different graphics card.

1 Like

Right so, that’s me out.

I tried the very last thing I hadn’t done which was remove geforce exp. Fine for the first 2 days and then today I logged in, got on to the loading screen and boom. Render Device Lost.

It’s easy to ignore or be lax on an issue when it’s funnelled into a single thread which can be left to fester away with the occasional blue post with zero info or progression on the matter.

Not making any more changes to my pc etc Just not playing overwatch anymore. If they ever bother to get it sorted I might try again but any bug/error etc going on for 6 months + is just negligence at that stage.

For what it’s worth, my temporary resolution to this problem was to change my render scale to 100%.

This was previously set by default to 150%, and ran without issue prior to the All-Star overwatch skins getting added to the game.

Specs:
Intel i7 8700k
Gigabyte RTX 2060 Windforce

The rename fix has been working for me with a factory oc rtx 2070, however this is really annoying because it won’t save credentials on login and you have to replace the exe for every overwatch patch. Is there any progress on a fix from nvidia?

1 Like

Doubtful. As soon as Blizzard knows more I doubt they will hesitate to post about it. This is also why a blue posted 4 days ago that the renaming method is still the only “fix”. In my opinion it isn’t even that big of a deal to put in your credentials every time you want to play the game. The only annoying part is that the authenticator code doesn’t seem to work if it takes 25 % or less before it is refreshed.

I upgraded my 760 to a 2060 roughly 2 weeks ago. Latest drivers through GF Experience. Played OW with no problems for at least 10 days. Now I get this error 2 games in a row. Nothing on my PC changed from last night. The only thing could be a Windows update, but as this thread started in December I doubt that’s the problem.

Please fix your game Blizzard. I care about my SR so I’ll have to stop playing, against my will.

2 Likes

WTF, how is this not fixed yet???

NVidia 2080
i990
32gb ram
factory settings

1 Like

To go off of this, I have the same issue. RTX 2080, DDR4 ram. I notice it really only happens to me when I play in Window Fullscreen. I had no crashes when in actual fullscreen mode. I switched it back to Window Fullscreen and what do you know, I’m back to crashing.

I updated my BIOS and the Razer Software.
Now I have no issues!
Also deactivated every overlay I could find Windows 10 Game Recordings, Windows 10 Game Mode, GeForce Experience Discord Overlay…
I’ll be posting again if I get any error message again.

Did the last Nvidia update fix this? Anyone have tried?
Mine has worked with no issues since I stopped using Overwatch.exe so it definitely is the solution here. Don’t really want to experience crashes to fix out if it’s still necessary =P

It’s not their fault though.
A copy of Anthem from Nvidia though … =P

Confirming the issue still present, runnig with
EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra

I had this issue pretty much in every patch since February… Please fix it Blizzard.

I am not sure if it was the last update, but I used the Display Driver Uninstaller, reinstalled my drivers, and the next day Overwatch updated and I haven’t had to use any of the “fixes” for the past week. I am not saying its committing that it is fixed as I thought previously it was, but the issue crept back up again. At least now I can play though.

This is absolutely terrible. This has been going on since December. Blizzard owes us an answer.

Blizzard can’t answer a question they don’t have an answer to. It is NVidia who has to fix the problem. And as long as Blizzard doesn’t hear more from them there really isn’t much else Blizzard can say on the matter.

This issue has been ongoing for me since October of 2017. (no joke). Even reinstalling and doing all of the fun stuff that is recommended. Here is the BOTTOM LINE.

No other game NEEDS this type of TWEAKING at the Hardware, BIOS and Operating system level. My uncle whom works as a lead technician and support programmer for a BIG PHARMA company (cannot say, due to spam rules), says;

this game’s engine, is the problem. He is a gamer when he is off work. Plays all the BIG titles on a nice n’ pricey gaming rig. We can BOTH agree that this game does NOT utilize the full capacity of the GPU, while it heavily leans primarily on the CPU and RAM.

1 Like

Just to note after my last post last week I gave one more shot (cause im stubborn)

1. Geforce Exp uninstalled
  2. Going through the blizz app as normal (not via rename exe)
  3. Game being played in full screen (not windowed as normal)
  4. I’m playing on max graphic settings with afterburner oc active

Not a single dc in a week. I even jumped in to two placement matches and no issues there.

I’m almost certain there is a corruption somewhere in the game but I am not a professional with this stuff.

But for me, A clean install of win10 and I haven’t had the problem since! fingers crossed

Hi All,

I had this issue as well, This was the fix for me:

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Overwatch

Rename the Overwatch.exe to OverwatchTest.exe

Doubleclick the OverwatchTest.exe to launch the game.

So far i have not have had the render device lost issue. And this is a fix that was proposed by one of the forum mods from blizzard.

My system:

Msi gaming plus motherboard
Ryzen 2700X
Msi Gforce GTX 1070
16GB RAM