"Render Device Lost" Fix for RTX

I still crash even using the renamed exe to launch. Seems like it happens less often though, I was able to play one whole day without a crash. Before the rename trick I crashed 2-4 times a day. Using 2080 ti. I also deleted whole Overwatch profile from nvidia drivers, didn’t make a difference.

This isnt just an RTX issue, I am getting this error since the last two nvidia drivers on a GTX 1060. I am thinking this is a driver issue. This was a driver/overwatch issue about a year or so ago.

Just a side note on the EXE renaming method: I found that the renaming EXE method only works for me if I don’t open the Blizzard Launcher. If I open the launcher, I have to go to the Overwatch directory and delete my renamed EXE and rename the newly created, originally named EXE.

Either way, this is sort of a mess considering the length of time this has been an issue and the lack of discussion about a timeline for a potential fix from official people. We are all essentially just sitting in the dark waiting for someone to turn the light on, but we have been sitting there for months.

Hi Folks!

I want to tell the new one among us again that there is still a registry fix. I already described it here [EDIT - This work around was removed, see next blue post for information.]. Since then I can start and play the game without any problems. It is worth a try, trust me :wink:

However, the entry disappeared after a major update from Microsoft, so simply create a new one and continue playing.

See you in OW,
JumpKickz

1 Like

This is a huge problem for me as well. I have a RTX card. I can no longer play the game effectively because I keep crashing. Unfairly, I am getting penalized in game for “leaving the match” when it is the crash that prevents me from enjoying the game. The tricky part is that it crashes so inconsistently, sometimes in a row, sometimes more intermittently, there is no practical way to predict it.

Blizzard must stop deflecting the problem, grab the bull by its horns, and find a way to fix it. Overwatch is the only game with which I have this problem. I already tried tweaking NVIDIA control panel settings, clean uninstalling and reinstalling with different drivers, increasing virtual memory, etc., any suggested solution that you can readily find on the Internet. None of them work. No effective workaround presently exists, nor should we rely on it. This is not a problem that we, Blizzard’s faithful customers, should fix when so many of us are having the same issue specifically with your IP but not others.

EDIT: I will try the “renaming .exe” method and report back. That said, Blizzard should figure out a more permanent solution, as any band-aid type of workaround can’t be considered a real solution.

With this method, can you still use the original EXE as well as the Blizzard Launcher? I am getting tired of manually typing in my authentication codes. Thanks for reminding us of this fix!

JumpKickz,

I removed your registry modification post to prevent players from accidentally damaging their systems with it. Timeout Detection and Recovery delay should not be modified in most cases, as that is Windows’ built in protection to prevent damage of your hardware or windows-level crashes. Longer TDR delays open the window for actually breaking your graphics card.

If you’re using this as a work around, I advise reversing it.

2 Likes

This cannot be considered a fix. You’re putting your computer at a greater risk with such a registry modification.

One consistent thing I can report with certainty is the following: After a crash, when I click NVIDIA control panel, the 3D image of rotating green NVIDIA logo and the PhysX feature disappear from the control panel altogether. Only after a shutdown and reboot, and after some time of inactivity, they return.

The “OverwatchTest.exe” method DOES NOT work for me. This is very frustrating for someone who really loves Overwatch. It was fine the first few hours, and now it crashes again. As someone who recently upgraded his computer with a RTX from an old potato to play Overwatch at a higher performance/quality, I find this whole situation incredibly frustrating and irritating.

1 Like

Sure, I’m playing OW with this fix in the regular way. I’m starting Battlenet and click “play” to open the game with auto login as normal. And now the mods deleted the fix. How’s it possible to break a graphic device if the TDR isnt responding for about few seconds more… God damn :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I understand there are ramifications to editing the registry, but being that Blizzard has produced “solutions” that don’t fix everyone’s system and we have no real updates on potential fixes for this issue, there isn’t much we can do.

I only can tell, it’s working like a charm for me. And changing the offset value from 2 seconds of no response to 10, will help to not crash the game AND wouldnt harm the system. Don’t know why it’s been deleted. I feel like I’m using OW and Battlenet like it has to be used, just with the registry fix to 10 seconds instead of 2 :man_shrugging:

This is SUCH BS! I’ve crashed multiple times today. Even after doing the name change and whatever on the .exe file. And I’ve been F’king banned from comp twice today. This is serious BULLSH*T and needs to get fixed NOW.

1 Like

Reposting this again, so it’s the latest post. Try to use the rename method and if that DOESN’T work, you want to contact support directly for individual troubleshooting. The rename work around is only for certain players. If it doesn’t work, you have a different problem than the one the players in this thread are having and will not be affected by anything we find in our investigation of this issue.

6/7 months later with ZERO changes :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

The rename fix is working for me, but is there some way that I can get the renamed executable to at least remember my login/pass?

1 Like

Same exact issue, rendering device lost!
Specs: Ryzen 7 2700x and RTX 2080.
Other Games never crash, at all.
All drivers are new.

Happened like a few weeks ago for the first time and now it seems to happen like every day or two…

The only game I like to play, crashes.
:disappointed_relieved:

Tried to turn off every overlay but forgot to turn off the windows 10 gaming mode, will report back here if it still crashes. Even uninstalled Nvidia Experience but i am on the newest driver out there.

1 Like

I reached out to Nvidia “support” and I use the term loosely. 3 different people I spoke to in 3 different chats and none of them could answer basic questions.
Just making out like it wasn’t nvidia’s issue, then saying it’s been worked on, then saying well its only one game so its not us but we’re working with blizzard, but its not a known issue. Literally had a better conversation with the cat same day!

The rename doesn’t last for me anymore. I’ve tried the last step as recommended by Blizz support which was to uninstall GeForce exp. After that there’s nothing else to try if it happens again bar stop playing.

1 Like

I crashed so many times now and lost more than 200 SR plus 2 Hours+ Ban before i found this solution. How can it be that this Issue is known for half a Year now and still no fix for that? I even got new equipment for my setup and made a reinstall of windows to try to fix it.
I wonder why the 20xx and the 10xx of Nvidia cards is so different that only 20xx user have that issue…
Atleast a refund for the lost SR and a Goodie as an excuse for the ban time would be the least Blizzard could do.

2 Likes