"Render Device Lost" Fix for RTX

I’ve been having this crashing problem ever since I built my new PC a few weeks ago. AMD2700x, 32gigs of 3200mhz memory, windows 10 64bit, Asus 2080ti. Very annoying, hopefully they can fix/patch the issue soon.

Do you run the RAM at 3200 MHz? If so this could happen because of unstable OC and that is “perfectly fine” so to say.
If you have RAM which is on the QVL of the motherboard and run the RAM at 2933 MHz or lower though then it shouldn’t be a thing. Then again it could of course still be hardware incompatibility issues.

I just want to make sure. I ran my Corsair 3466 MHz CL 16 kit on 3400 MHz on X470-F before and later at 3200 MHz on this B450-F but for this issue I’ve clocked it back to 2933 MHz but I still have the issue so unstable RAM OC may not have been the problem. I get the crashes even with no RAM OC.

this is unbelievable, i have messed with all the setting in game and even re downloaded it. the game is still crashing saying driver is lost. never playing this game again. I have easily lost 600 sr from crashes itself. not to mention the game banning me for something out of my control. good luck with your dying game.

I have an RTX 2060 and I am getting this error as well. No other application crashes on my computer except Overwatch. Blizzard, this is a trending issue and it is stopping me from playing because I refuse to lose SR due to a problem out of my control. Please fix this issue.

Okay i updated the game, used the nvidia inspector “trick” for deleting any overwatch entry and for now i can say i played about 15 hours “till now” without a crash, will update when i test a lot more, since 15 hours isn’t that much.

Update here, disabling the G-Sync settings didn’t help. The issue is still here.

It has been a few weeks since trying this fix. I have also renamed the .exe after patches when a new Overwatch application is written. I have had zero crashes since the fix!

Hey Drakuloth. IM BACK… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Ugh, yet again the engine of this game intrigues me to NO avail. Are you hearing anyone talking about SIM rates spiking after the patching? for example, until they minimize the game a couple of times in a row, until the SIM spikes stop or fall? I am seeing all of this, plus the no-reg shots again after the STORM patch. We are back to square one…

I know you are busy, plz let me know if you heard of anyone with a solution to this. I mean I am pretty much running the game on low-medium settings, otherwise everything is too “grainy”. :slight_smile:

Thank you

OK for those who still have this problem, at least this method really worked for me it’s been two days and i have game for 3 hours continuously yesterday and 3 hours today continuously again, did not crash. (copy and paste from another forum)

source: Rendering Device has been lost, application closing! - #11 by Daddy-23566 - Technical Support - Overwatch Forums

Guys, if you are still experiencing this issue and you already tried the steps suggested here , as well as lowering your game rendering scale to 100%, please try also disabling fullscreen optimization for Overwatch. To do that:

1. Navigate to overwatch.exe
  2. Right click and select Properties and Compatibility
  3. Check “Disable fullscreen optimization”

If it doesn’t work and the game keeps on crashing with the same error, then we’ll need the files Nenyasqi asked for.

Thank you!

1 Like

You know that the “renaming file”-solution is also a option for the most of the people?
As you could see the person under that specific mention already had again the problem.
Also this is a post from Dec’18, unreliable if I have to say.

I quote from a Blizzard Support employee:

1. Revert to these slightly more stable drivers:
  • Choose drivers only
  • Choose custom installation
  • Tick Clean installation
  • Untick the 3D drivers and Geforce experience
  • Complete the installation
  1. Once done, navigate to your overwatch folder and rename your overwatch.exe to Overwatch2.exe. You will need to use the Overwatch2.exe to launch the game manually rather than using the Battlenet app.

This issue now needs to be solved from Nvidia side and they are aware of it so hopefully it will be fixed soon but there is not concrete ETA on this as it is from Nvidia side that the fix will be happening.

I tried renaming my Overwatch and it crashed as soon as the game started. More SR lost lmao. Please, Blizzard :’[

I used the OverwatchTest.exe rename before the latest patch and it worked. After the latest patch came out I downloaded Nvidia Inspector (google it) and have deleted the Overwatch profile. Since then I have been opening the game through the bnet launcher and haven’t had a crash.

My specs:
Ryzen 5 2600 (stock clock)
EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra (factory OC)
G Skillz Trident Z 16GB 3200mhz (stock)
Acer Predator XB271HU with G-sync turned off
Render scale is set at 100% with everything on low except shadows. I’m getting 300fps.

2 Likes

Honestly between nvidia and blizzard what kind of garbage devs do they have to have not figured out the exact cause of this issue. debug, logs, etc… come on already. i paid for a damn game i cant even play.

2 Likes

Recently used EVGA Step Up Program and upgraded my RTX 2080 Black Edition to the XC model. Which has the higher quality GPU die. I haven’t had any crashes since. I wonder if anyone else who is experiencing the crashes have the " NON A " variant. Kinda sucks that Nvidia is binning even more now.

Seriously this hasnt got fixed?!?!?!? bloody game keeps on crashing using 2080!!!

Such BS. Just launched a game not thinking about this issue and mentioned it to team mates and one say “nobby why bought amd” or something and then it crashed straight away.

400 below season high now.

I have two 2060 at home too is the odds that it’s the RTX 2070 which is broken (consumer return from the store) or is the problem AMD with RTX and I’ll have problems even if I try one of the 2060s?

I have Corsair 3466 MHz CL 16 2x8 RAM which I run with XMP + frequency change to 2933 MHz and I use Performance enhancer: Default so there shouldn’t be any overclock on my system. The graphics card have a factory overclock (Gainward Dual OC) but I don’t even know how to turn it off / set it to Nvidia default, also that would suck and shouldn’t it work really?

Also why punish us if it’s a known issue. It’s not like I’m doing this.

How to tell?

I reinstalled Windows onto another SSD and have only installed latest chipset drivers, audio and Nvidia drivers kinda and it still crashes here. And I’ve loaded fail safe defaults, DCOP, set 2933 MHz, changed Performance Enhancer from Auto to Default.

Renamed it and then what?

I feel a bunch of random stuff which may or may not work isn’t a great “solution”, if applying all three even if it worked one wouldn’t really know why and if one try a few things then when are one actually banned or whatever? It’s such skating BS.

I think there are some confusion with the renaming solution.
Go to your Overwatch folder, find the Overwatch.exe.
Once you find it, rename it to Overwatchtest.exe.
Then make a shortcut from that renamed file to your desktop.
Then use that shortcut to launch the game.
If you did correctly, it will require to enter your email and password.

Notice:
If a new patch or update comes out, you need to delete the old Overwatchtest.exe and make a new one from the already downloaded file(launcher will download a new one automatically).

Warning!
If you rename the overwatch.exe file, then go to your launcher and start the game like you normally do, it wont help. The launcher will download overwatch.exe and it will keep crashing again and again.

I use this “solution” with EVGA RTX 2080 XC for 2 weeks now. No crash at all.

I spoke to soon. My game just crashed. So must have been a fluke that it went so long with out crashing after I upgraded to the higher tiered EVGA RTX 2080.

I know some games with the new RTX cards currently require to use lower settings or turn off settings completely. Like ARK you have to use low settings for shadows and turn light shafts off in order to stay in game otherwise it crashes in 5 min. Messing with these settings might help, will try it.

Yea, great solution? I mean I bought a RTX2070 to play on minimal settings … :wink:

OT; New drivers from nvidia. Anyone got exp with those and crashes?