"Render Device Lost" Fix for RTX

If it is only crashing in Overwatch, and you do not have any artifacting (this is one of the big signs of a faulty RTX card) then I would not RMA it. You will know eventually if your card is faulty, because everything will begin to artifact. For me, eventually, I couldn’t watch a simple YouTube video without artifacting and the card turning off.

Ended up RMAing the 2080 TI, played on my 980TI for a few days issue free. Got my new card in used DDU and fresh install of drivers, ran stress tests and benchmarks and the card performs fine. Played Overwatch not even an hour and got the error again.

I’m out $70 because Blizzard won’t admit that there is an issue between their game and the RTX series.

Same issue. Was playing fine for a week then all of a sudden today I got this message. And just like everyone else, I can play like 1-2 games before the game crashes in mid game and I lose out on Endorsements claiming I bailed outta the game. Looks like I’m back to uninstalling this game for awhile.

They have in fact admitted there is an issue which is why they even responded to this thread a couple of times to get to the bottom of it. That is also why they claimed to have contacted NVidia to get the issue resolved, especially because for a bunch of us the renaming method works which means it is driver profile related. Anyone who still crashes after using that method has more than just one issue, but still it is rather unlikely it is a faulty video card.

I don’t believe you can blame Blizzard for you being out of money after you had been told to not so hastily RMA your video card. It is never a good idea to RMA a video card when bench marks and other games don’t have issues.

1 Like

Same issue rtx 2070 my friend is having the same issue as well with the 2070

I’ve not had the issue in a while now but at the same time im not playing Overwatch nearly as much since it started so maybe on the shorter sessions im good.

I am still on 417.71 Nvidia drivers, using the OverwatchTest.exe method. Haven’t had crashes in two months or however long it’s been since I came complaining… annoying but at least I can play. I also play Apex Legends fine on 417.71. I didn’t even update for Anthem (which I got free) because I don’t trust newer drivers that help with some games not to affect others.

I’ve had this happen 8 times this weekend using a 1080ti

Hey Folks, I’ve been struggling with this for a little while, as such I got a friend to lend me a R9 390 (I used to run a 1070Gtx 8gb edition) I’m getting a similar issue popping up in my dxdiag with the AMD card, but i also had crashes on my nvidea card too.

It seems like overwatch is very sensitive to GPU. I overclocked my 1070 so I can play apex legends at a bit higher fps, and after a week with no crash in apex, I played ow again, and the game crashed twice due to render device lost lol. It is strange that apex didnt crash when it fully loaded my GPU while ow crashed when only using less than 70%.

I have a 2070 Gigabyte Windforce. After trying everything I saw on this thread over the past couple months, this is the first fix that has worked for me. I’ve had no crashes for about a week. In my case, I’m pretty sure it’s a bad card and doesn’t have much to do with Nvidia drivers , since Gigabyte had a run of those around the time I bought it (my return period ran out by the time I knew about it). Thanks for posting this fix.

1 Like

Render device lost is a rather generic error code. According to Blizzard it isn’t likely anyone who doesn’t have an RTX has the same issue. As you said it, Overwatch doesn’t like overclocking and that is probably the issue in your case. With RTX-cards it seems to be about overclocking for some but for others who haven’t overclocked anything it seems to be related to NVidia’s driver profile.

It could still be that your card isn’t bad if you can play other games without any crashes. Overwatch seems to be the exception rather than the norm.

Renaming to overwatchtest has been working for over a month and a half for me, not a single crash since. Eagerly awaiting a fix from nvidia to be able to use the launcher, please keep us updated devs.

Should have kept my mouth shut… just got it again -_-

There is a new patch out, you will have to rename the .exe again

I’ve been playing Overwatch for the past few days after replacing the RTX 2060 with my old GTX 980 Ti and the game is rock solid, no crashes whatsoever. Using GeForce 419.35 here.

It’s kind of hard to believe that Blizzard engineering/QA can’t reproduce the issue in-house. :disappointed:

1 Like

Rename fix isn’t working for me anymore, last 2 days I’ve had 1-2 crashes each night…

I had around 5 crashes in less than two hours with my 2080ti. Rename fix isn’t working. Its been a while since I could play this game properly.

2 Likes

Just got my first crash since the new patch dropped. Was on oldest supported RTX 2080 drivers (411.63) and crash-free for weeks until today. :frowning:

I quit this game after playing since beta and this problem is the trigger. I have had this issue for over a year now, and the response from blizzard each time is for us to go and do a whole bunch of testing and messing about. The issue should not happen AT ALL and they should have fixed it a long time ago. They constantly blame your graphic card, your settings, your network, your latest driver. well screw me but just fix the issue that is on the blizzard end. It shouldn’t matter if I have a tiny setting out of place for their system to work. It doesn’t happen with anything else I do / play. rant over. bye bye overwatch