"Render Device Lost" Fix for RTX

I had tried everything including a full reformat + RMA’ing my original RTX2080. I was getting crashes every couple of games and tried the renaming .exe trick. Played last night for hours without a hitch. If you are lurking on this thread like I was this is 95% going to fix the error for you with the RTX cards.

Good luck and hopefully Blizzard gets Nvidia to fix whatever compatibility issue is going on with drivers.

RTX2080 MSI GAMING X TRIO - same issue, random driver crash for no reason at all (with the render device lost message). Windows event viewer shows a typical nvidia driver crash.

At first I thought it’s my overclock, even if it was tested in timespy extreme for over a 12 hours run and it’s rock solid, as well as has no issues in other games.

Now, however, I am having my doubts after reading this. I tried the .exe rename and so far I haven’t gotten another crash, although I’ve played like 6 games or something only.

I’m pretty sure this is some sort of a clown fiesta Overwatch issue.

So has blizzard addressed this issue thats been going on since what? december? earlier? I had a 1070ftw2. overclocked. no issues. RTX card and 64gb of extra ram installed (96 total) and now i crash about every 3-5 games. Trying all these fixes to no avail. finally signed in to post after a week of just trying everything.

Blizzard advised anyone for whom renaming doesn’t work to start a new topic. It is likely that if the temporary fix doesn’t work there is more going on causing your game to crash than simply something with NVidia’s driver profiles.

And yes, Blizzard has addressed the issue, hence all the Blizzard posts in this thread and coming up with a temporary solution for a problem so random that for some it only happened about once per day or even once per week. Even Blizzard had trouble replicating it often enough to figure out what is causing the issue.

been reading around multiple places. from what ive read temp is an issue? my card seems to crash always at 60-62c (it never runs higher)

every time a new exe gets created i rename it. so every day i do it. after every patch and every time blizzard app create a new one every season

For those who are still having issues I have a RTX2070 and had this problem back in December. The following advice Render device lost recently - #18 by Zaze-1399 fixed the problem for me.

The problem popped up again today so I repeated the same process and it seems to have fixed it. For some reason something broke the link between Overwatch and the program specific graphics settings in my NVIDIA control panel that needed to be changed (Overwatch exe now appears twice in my NVIDIA control panel). I’d recommend trying the above fix if the other methods don’t work. Be aware this relies on your Overwatch exe being a consistent name so if you change it you would need to repeat the above fix again.

That is not my experience. My card can run at a higher temperature than that and still not crash. Whenever I had a crash the temperature on my graphics card was never out of the ordinary.

It is possible that for some the temperature is the issue, but not in my case with a 2070.

Rtx 2080 here, same issue. Rendering device lost, and tho im fast as f to try and get back into the game after the crash. i have what? like 5 seconds, lost 100sr and now sitting on a 30minute leave timer becus of this issue…

Have you tried to rename Overwatch.exe into something like OverwatchTest.exe? If you haven’t, this works for a bunch of us.

This “fix” doesn’t really make much sense. If it indeed ignores the nvidia profile for that particular game, it means it would work only for people who have botched up settings on the profile, something which a clean driver reinstall sorts out by default.

Furthermore, if you’ve never changed any of the nvidia settings or created a particular profile for overwatch, making the game’s .exe ignore it would also be pointless.

There’s something more at play here.

I’m using the MSI RTX 2080 Duke OC with an i5-8600K which is OC’d to 4.6GHz. I initially downgraded to the release version drivers and turned off all OC to the video card and the issue stopped. After buying a new 240hz display, I decided I wanted to try the adaptive sync now that NVidia is compatible… but this meant updating my drivers again. So I did, then capped my framerate to 237fps in order to have GSync active, and I haven’t had a single crash since doing so.

Maybe the crash has to do with the video card trying to render more than the display can handle? IDK… all I know is that I’ve been crash-free for about 6 weeks and I’ve been running the latest NVidia drivers for about a 9 days now with no problems. I’ve also upped several display settings since I’m not trying to maintain 300 fps anymore and the game has never looked better or smoother. Prior to downgrading drivers I would experience a crash every 2-5 matches at least. But at the time I had the framerate unlocked and at 300fps.

I sincerely doubt it’s an OC issue.

If your OC is 100% stable in benchmarks such as timespy extreme, firestike, heaven and so on and so forth (and every other game), crashing only in Overwatch is clearly something else.

It might have been the drivers, however.

That’s not how it works. NVIDIA drivers include built-in profiles for a ton of games, with settings that aren’t exposed to the control panel. Use NVIDIA Profile Inspector and you can see them, or even delete them.
That’s why renaming works - it skips the built-in profile which causes crashes for RTX users.

1 Like

and even doing so, the problem still exist, but seems like renaming reduce the error to happens.

IM going to throw some info into the mix here.

I have the RTX 2060 Graphics card. I formerly came out of the GTX 1060 card. The only two things I have loaded is Phys X and the baseline GPU driver itself. The rest of the stuff I do NOT have loaded. INCLUDING I went into services and turned OFF “nvidia telemetry container”. The reason why I have done this. is because it hinders performance.

I’d tell anyone here that a CPU and RAM upgrade is going to make a significantly greater impact on game performance than a GPU. I’ve got the RTX 2060 which is supposed to be near-1080 power vs the 1060 and there is really NO positive performance gains here. That is because this game relies HEAVILY on the CPU and RAM. I cannot emphasis it enough. That a big CPU and 16GB of RAM makes this game feel much better.

I went to the trouble and HARD-locked my pc and rooted it from Windows updates. The February Windows update was causing MAJOR performance problems with my pc and no matter what they say about it being a “security update” the type of patching they are do are for NICHE attacks which a normal home user is not going to face. Updates are for the user with a static IP address, NAT overload and Port address translation.

That said. This game for me is not “normal” and requires expert level tweaking compared to any title I have ever owned. The Wyoming Mist person here on the forums has a good guide to this. to simplify some of their advice

• PhysX must be set strictly to the GPU and NOT auto-select.
  • Scaling mode must be Aspect ratio.
  • Ram in the BIOS must be XMP profile enabled
2 Likes

I built my own computer and I made no changes to any profile and yet the fix worked for me.

Have a 2 month old Asus GeForce GTX 1060 that I used to upgrade from a 750 TI. Had no issues with previous video card, but this one is giving me the error which is now happening more often. (So it’s not just the RTX cards). I have a clean install of Windows, so that’s not the issue. I’m going to try the renaming and going to lower settings (had it on Ultra) and see if that works.

Actually now that you guys mention it, I recall the very same thing happening on my 1080 MSI gaming as well.

Come to think of it, every time I go to OW (I play it very rarely), the crash has usually been there. I’ve always thought that OW is just extremely sensitive to overclocking seeing as all my tech is OC-ed (at least both my 1080 and 2080 were), however all of these complaints here make me think that it might be an issue with the game itself - seeing as my OCs are always stable in every other game and benchmarks.

WoW, SC2 and HoTS have no issues either.

I did rename the .exe and didn’t crash for like 7-8 games, so maybe it’s the newest NVIDIA drivers at fault here.

Based on this thread it is clearly not only the latest drivers. I am not even using the latest drivers and I still had crashes. Since using the renaming method I have had zero crashes. So it is clearly an issue with something in NVidia’s driver profile which doesn’t play nice with Overwatch. Of course, this does mean there is some code in Overwatch which does something other games don’t do but that is much harder to solve if you don’t know where to look; a generic error code is rather meaningless. This crash is also rather difficult to replicate consistently. Some have a lot of crashes and others only rarely. The latter is what Blizzard saw in-house.