"Render Device Lost" Fix for RTX


With the OverwatchTest method I have experienced my game freezing on me for 10 seconds before being able to move again. Before changing to OverwatchTest I have only had crashes to desktop.

What I find odd is that I have yet to crash to desktop during a custom game.

Edit: My game froze again in QP, this time 5 seconds.

Should be the same dude.

Overwatch asks for my login details, I enter my email and password.
Next it asks for the authenticator but there are no requests on my authenticator and the manual code doesn’t work!

Hi Drakuloth,

This also seems to have fixed the problem for me. I have played about 4 hours on OverwatchTest.exe and i haven’t crashed once.

I was experiencing the rendering device error once every 5-6 games. Both my CPU and GPU remained at a stable 65 degrees C when the crashes occurred.

Previously i had noticed that the error usually occurred during big team fights or during the POTG. Unplugging my second monitor reduced the frequency of crashes but did not fix the problem permanently.

Specs: 16Gb 3000MHz corsair vengeance DDR4 Ram, EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition, an Intel i7 - 8700k and an Asus Z370 series MOBO.

I hope that this information helps!

Do you have an RTX 2060/2070/2080? Are you using the 417.71 drivers?

Tried this method and still does not work for me. Instantly crashes when I join a game. Specs:

Gigabyte RTX 2070

The OverwatchTest method did not work for me. Instead of getting the “Render Device Lost” message, I just crash to desktop.

Specs: i9-9900K, Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390, 32gb G.Skill 3200 C14 Memory, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3
NVIDIA Driver: 417.71

I have an RTX 2070 from Gigabyte (Gaming OC 8 G).

At the moment I am not yet using 417.71 but 417.35, if I am correct. I am a little hesitant on getting the latest drivers installed because my crashes already seem to happen less often than for some in this thread. My crashes, if they happen are once a day (It has never happened to me twice per day) which could be in the first match but it usually happens after a few hours of play, if it happens at all. The crashes seem to happen at any time during QP matches. At least for me it doesn’t seem to happen solely when there is a lot going on. It can even happen when it is just me and one other person on screen.

Update: I haven’t crashed yet with the OverwatchTest method.

No results here… Still crashes after a few games.


I have a rog strix 1080 and I still experience this crash… It usually happens while streaming, but happens when off-stream too… temps are normal, all drivers are updated, not sure what to do at this point… I’d like to note Black Out 4 has started disappearing every few games since their latest patch as well. It doesn’t leave any errors, the game just disappears…

specs: Ryzen 2700x, 32gb 3200mhz cl14 RAM, 500gb m.2 NVME, 1080 rog strix, X470F rog strix mobo

For those of you who the “OverwatchTest.exe” method works for, or who haven’t tried it yet, this is intentionally breaking driver profiles for the game. When your drivers search for a game, it searches for a known application file. By renaming the application we break the association it has for the game.

It seems like this is hit and miss, but it’s working for some. If you haven’t tried this yet, it’s worth a shot for anybody with an RTX card having this issue. Keep in mind, the work around above is intended for RTX (20x0) series cards. If you have a different card, you have a different issue most likely.

For those who are having other problems after the rename, or who are crashing straight to desktop without the Rendering Device Lost Error, you may have a separate issue on top of what we suspect is the issue currently. We’re still testing but we forwarded your reports to the devs. Please keep reporting if renaming your application file as mentioned above and launching changes the behavior for now. We’ll let you know if we make any progress.

I played for several days without issues after disabling TDR, but just today I received the “Render Device Lost” error and shortly after my machine seized up. I agree with the suggestion to simply adjust the timeout if you’re exploring this route.

I have a 2070 and this has been working for me for the past two days. I have also been making sure to not have anything else running while playing to try and reduce load. I also have the game on low settings. The combination of these seems to do the trick.

I had to redirect the client to the folder after fixing the name to download the latest update. It is also a pain to manually sign in and manually type in the two-step code, but at least I haven’t lost any more SR

I haven’t crashed since disabling the kill-cam.

Why is my authenticator not working with the OverwatchTest?

It works, just have to use it manually.

Renaming the application has worked for me. No more crashes. Anecdotally I only crashed when youtube was open in the background but now it doesn’t matter anymore at least with this temporary workaround.

Annoying having to rename it everytime there is an update though.

Nope, entering the authenticator code manually does not work.


So far, with the above OverwatchTest workaround the game has been stable for 3 full nights of play. I haven’t had any errors or crashes. Sure it’s a little annoying to open the game in this manner, but what’s more annoying is losing 50 SR and incurring a 10 minute timeout from comp because my hardware is too new.

This fix will work for now though for sure.

1 Like

Installed the latest patch and Nvidia drivers and Overwatch still crashes every 10-20~ minutes on my RTX 2080.
I love Overwatch but I can’t bloody play like this.