"render Device has been lost, application closing"

hi, ya… dont blame me for this. blame your game… ive been banned from comp 3 times in the past 2 days due to crashing, ive lost a good 100 SR from this. all my drivers are up to date. so its not on my end. so please… dont ban me when YOUR game crashes… thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same here. I sometimes have this before the match has actually started so I can’t even try to jump back in. It’s just a -50SR for rendering device lost =…

This happens to me at least once a day and usually more often. I can’t find any reliable fixes or even Blizzard acknowledging the problem. Is there any resource for us?

Please check here for common causes and troubleshooting to resolve Rendering Device Lost errors:

I don’t have any AMD components in my computer and superfetch is already set to automatic

I was experiencing the same issues on an NVIDIA setup, but it looks like I may have fixed them using the above steps.

I tried this fix once before, but I DID install GeForce Experience and ended up experiencing crashes again. Last night, I did the same steps again, but did not install GeForce Experience, and also got the NVIDIA driver hotfix. I played Quick Play for a couple of hours to test it and I have had no crashes as of yet.

Edit: Click the above quote and it will take you to the original post with the links.

1 Like

thank you for the advice, tried it. Let’s hope that it works! Thank you for your time

so now… i fixed the problem by resetting my settings… but then my computer crashed while i was in comp so now i got a two hour ban… thank you blizzard… if you dont want me playing your game just say so…

A new Nvidia driver was released just yesterday as well, make sure you’re on 397.64

Now that things seem to be stable on my PC, I am almost scared to update. XD

lol, well if things are working I don’t exactly suggest changing them again :stuck_out_tongue: Since you’re able to, I’d say wait a few days before updating your driver, the new one seems pretty solid compared to the previous one, but you never know if it might have some other problem. If all seems good in a week or so, I say go for it!

I am, it came out a little before I saw the topic so I downloaded it for the manual install. Thanks for the helpful advice

its kinda confusing… like do i uninstall Gefroce exp before or after also when i click it all i get is the option to extract, and idk how to run it in safe mode…

Here’s how to go about it.

First, get the latest NVIDIA Driver, but DO NOT install it, then just put it on your desktop(If you get the latest driver, you will not need to download the hotfix driver.)

Next, download the DDU utility. Create a folder on your desktop called DDU(you can call it whatever you want though.) Place the DDU file you downloaded into that folder and extract it into that folder you just created.

Now, depending on the version of Windows you have, getting into safe mode might be different. This is one way to do it if you have Windows 10: Hit the start menu button, press the power button, then HOLD SHIFT when you click restart. Windows will then restart and bring you to a new menu with these options, Continue, TroubleShoot, and Turn off your PC. Click troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Startup Settings, then Click Restart.

Will bring bring up yet another menu with multiple boot options, press 4 or F4 on your keyboard to go into safemode.

Now, go into that DDU folder you have on your desktop with the utility. Run the file named, “Display Driver Uninstaller.Exe”

In the program, Click the Top Option, “Clean and Restart.” This will strip EVERYTHING from NVIDIA off of your PC, including GeForce Experience.

Once it is finished, it may prompt you that it is going to restart, I can’t remember, in any case, it will restart and go back into Windows as normal.

Now when you go back in, your desktop is going to look funny like it did in safe mode, this is due to have no GPU drivers installed, which is what we are doing next.

Run the NVIDIA Driver installer you downloaded from NVIDIA earlier, the option to do an Express Installation and Custom Installation will come up, choose Custom.

You will be presented with a couple of check boxes. Make sure GeForce Experience is unchecked, you can also Uncheck the 3D options as well. Also, towards the bottom of the window, you should see a check box to perform a clean installation, make sure that is checked.

Driver should do its thing and install. Once installed, just to be on the safe side, we are going to reset the PC.

After all that is done, you should be good to go. I recommend playing in Quick Play for a while to make sure everything stable.

Hope this helps!