Remove the phone number requirement or allow pre-paid

That’s a crap solution to a problem they used to solve another problem. But it’d be better than nothing if they need infrastructure to set up a more permanent solution… or just allow pre paid phones.

I’ve seen a trend in my community where pre paid phones and becoming increasingly popular as postpaid plans become scummier and scummier. Poor people don’t want to deal with that.

Requiring postpaid phone service in order to play a video game is as silly as requiring someone have a netflix account to play a video game. At least netflix is a pre paid sub rather than a contract based one.

7 Likes

Maybe they could just do it for competitive.

I just can’t think of another way to totally ice Smurfs. It has gotten so bad.

Competitive games have turned into who has the better Smurfs. It feels really bad.

3 Likes

Ah yes the famous " i asked 10 person 9 said they were prepaid so it means 90% of the world do the same "

3 Likes

I know aha. Perhaps it’a more like a “we will do this for now until we come up with something better” thing. I’m not to sure they will get rid of SMS so fast so perhaps just taking what they had already made and tweaking it may just go for them for now.

Believe me, I am totally understanding of this situation as I have a number that isnt valid either and it’s sad that they have to do this when there is no need as I heard other companies using SMS do not need a phone verification.

Tbf? I just want to play and really at this point, I am willing to sacrifice comp for the meanwhile just to get in if they allow it as I see it as both parties get what they want in ways.

4 Likes

Ok? And I shouldn’t be allowed to play Ow2 because of these actions done by other people because???

Good job cherry picking just one of my solutions. You got responses to the others? What about my question where you were the one excluded rather than me?

You’re also ignoring the fact that if someone has a postpaid phone they can casually call up their provider and get a new number for “free”. So that stop literally no one. It’s literally a phone call away to bypass that restriction while it permanently makes the game unplayable for me. Minor inconvenience to the people it targets, major inconvenience for innocent people.

Have you considered:

Worse than not being able to play at all? Cause that’s where I am.

I never said that. I admitted it’s a subjective number. It doesn’t really matter. I know that I’ve personally seen 100s of different people in my local cricket wireless. That in itself is a high enough number to not do this. I’m sure there are mount much around the world. Me and my friends are subjugated to this rule that negatively impacts us. It shouldn’t be a majority of the population to matter.

6 Likes

Get better tech, use IP verification, Use ID verification, etc,etc,etc.

It’s not our job to do Blizz’s job…People just won’t play the game, shareholders will get mad when the numbers aren’t where they need to be and then Blizz will change the system.

9 Likes

Ok but that’s how the world work the majority always win same for voting. Either you complain in the void or you fix the problem :hatched_chick:

1 Like

How long will that happen? In either case. If I can’t log in on launch day I’m requesting a refund.

2 Likes

And how are people who are under the age of 16 supposed to ID themselves?

1 Like

I really hope they see these threads and do so. I really do. I love OW and it saddens me such an amazing IP had to turn this way.

4 Likes

k Flutter. I will say AGAIN. I work for a Telco company and on average I will help 20-30 people PER DAY recharge their services. Ranging from the Young to the Old. So should any of these people play overwatch, should they be punished or forced onto a contract that they might not be able to afford?

And before anyone goes they shouldnt be playing OW if they cant afford it. REMEMBER THIS generally the game cost 40-60$ thats a once off fee. Maybe they cant afford to pay a consist for a plan. Remember that there are less fortunate people out there. This is their escape. And this move is forcing people not to enjoy it.

15 Likes

Ah yes. that’s why only the state with the highest population controls the entire country.

People shouldn’t be left behind because they’re a minority. Thats absolutely insane. Regardless and educated guess says enough people use pre-paid that this is going to effect them. A real solution would be a better idea. Fixing a problem with a problem isn’t a solution. Either people have an unpleasant experience because of smurfs or people can’t play at all. Either way you got unhappy people which doesn’t make for a great game.

12 Likes

A few Q’s after the launch, Bilzz will need OW2 to grow and if it doesn’t because of obstacles in players way, things will change.

I don’t blame you, my family will not be playing OW2 cause I’m not buying my kids phones and my phone is pre-paid. Blizz really messed up here and the numbers will show when all is said and done.

Just know, things will change…its a matter of when not if.

8 Likes

Mail, SS card, School ID,etc.

2 Likes

So I’m allowed to be excluded because of not having a postpaid phone. But folks under the age of 16 aren’t? Wasn’t even aware you had to be 16 to have an ID. I’m pretty sure I had one before that. At least folks under 16 will inevitable become over 16 and be able to get an ID. While I won’t be getting a postpaid phone in the forseeable future. I see absolutely no benefit to it.

I don’t even think strictly speaking you’re supposed to have a Blizzard account if you’re under 13. Also, the game is rated T for teen so you shouldn’t be playing WoW if you’re under 13. So that’s literally a 3-year period.

4 Likes

In the US, I don’t think there are many official forms of government ID. It’s usually a license or passport.

Hopefully they add other ways to verify people so they can prevent Smurfs.

I’m really not trying to be inconsiderate, but smurfs ruin so many games.

I worry if they’re too loose with verification, we’ll continue to see Smurfs.

1 Like

What?!?! Every state has state ID. I have state ID. I don’t have a license or passport. I think I’ve had my ID since I was 14. Though I’ve gotten new ones. You don’t need a license or passport to buy alcohol. I’m so confused as to what reality you live in.

This shouldn’t be a competition. There are many ways we can both be happy and honestly it shouldn’t be up to us. Blizzard should’ve never even considered an exclusionary path. But the head honchos are too rich to conceive of why anyone would bother with a pre-paid outside of sus reasons. As I said. Same phone number 4 years.

And I won’t even be able to play games.

ID will actually work unlike phone. I’ve already explained how phone verification can be effortlessly bypassed. Fake IDs are possible to get but much more of a headache than changing your postpaid phone number. So, it’ll significantly slow all but the most determined down. Also fake IDs are illegal while changing your phone number isn’t.

2 Likes

I know right this is ridiculous.

2 Likes

I am perfectly fine with SMS Protect as it is today. Sucks that it impacts you and you should definitely ask for a refund of the Watchpoint Pack if you bought it. That said, Blizz has set the conditions and you either follow them and play or not. I’m pretty sure they took into account the approximate number of players this would impact and decided the risk of alienating a handful of people was worth protecting the game and the rest of the player base.

Additionally, considering the emphasis on content monetization, I don’t think people who choose prepaid phones are high up on Blizzard’s “likely to spend loads of money on cosmetics” list. This sounds crappy, but there is a fairly prevalent assumption that if someone has a prepaid phone then they either can’t pass the credit check or can’t afford a “real” phone plan. I don’t think this is necessarily true, but it is a fairly commonly held belief.

5 Likes

There was a reason I was pushing for play style fingerprinting. But people hated me on it every time I talked about it.

They kept saying SMS won’t have any issues.