Reminder: Symmetra has a 2.8% pickrate in OWL

IDK where did you get that from but that is not true.
The rework was not there to make her a “generalist” but to increase the skill cap of her skills and remove the auto-aim M1.

Yeah, because moira is in a really bad state as well. So her having even lower pick rates doesn’t really prove anything, if anything it shows that both moira and symm need a little bit of help in their overall design or some buffs to their balancing.

The longest running, overused joke of overwatch. Symmetra. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Symmetra 2.0, Lúcio (aura reduction) and D.va (putting Matrix on a resource bar) were successful as well. Reworks started going downhill from Mercy onwards, with Torbjorn being the only decent rework, and as a Torb main, it felt more like a sidegrade than a buff.

I’ve said this many times before:

when you look at this pickrate:

in an environment where supposedly they are only picked when they’re worth it as well as the fact that she’s pretty much played in 1 comp, you can’t possibly deny that sym’s case isn’t the “niche so narrow that they need an impossible amount of power to be balanced” case.

Is this reason to call the rework a failure? not if you’re wanting to blame the design because very evidently when you look into her kit numbers and compare them with other heroes’, her numbers are :put_litter_in_its_place:.

like the only reason she has this “niche” is because she lacks sufficient uptime tools for herself. namely, her orbs (staple weapon fire) are legit one of the worse projectile fires in the game, and her tp got neutered hard despite her having lower effective range, low burst and low sustain amongst the cast.

I wouldn’t call it rushing given how long we had sym3.0. but rather complete incompetence to put decent numbers on her as blatantly shown by orb’s numbering (sniper tier low firerate that encourages aim, but they’re so slow that not even their projectile size can compensate how little aim matters in most ranges).

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-ptr-patch-notes-june-5-2018/122466/5

Developer comments: The goal of these changes is to move Symmetra to her new damage role and make her more flexible and viable across more areas of the game than she was previously. Now that Symmetra is no longer a support hero, she is expected to be able to dish out heavy damage, and these changes allow her to do so. She should be more powerful and interesting in more team compositions and maps, and she should also be stronger on offense and defense.

I mean, while I do think that getting rid of the auto-aim M1 was important to a lot of people, and Blizzard probably listened to that audience in making these changes, the “official” reason for her changes is exactly what is said above.

1 Like

Devs: “2.8% is still higher than 0%!”

:upside_down_face:

Just pointing out that those numbers are off…I gave more accurate numbers later (that don’t just look at spawn room usage - ignore them altogether actually)…

But I wouldn’t draw much from her usage so far (statistically)…on some maps it was literally one team fight…so you can choose to say “look a 0% success rate” if you like but you wouldn’t do that for another hero…

The only real main character, besides the pachimari.

the thing is:

• even if we use those, it defs at minimum paints the picture of the former case of “sym’s not strong enough in her niche to compensate how weak she is outside of it to be called balanced”.
  • and irrespective of the winrate, the fact that we’re talking OWL (environment where balance matters most and heroes are supposedly picked where they’re best both in terms of where the kit does well and in comparison to other heroes) and her pickrates are overall low (shown by number of team fights participated), and if any, heavily skewed to very specific modes of certain points
    • i.e. leading to what I was saying before regarding how sym is legit the case of “niche too narrow to feasibly allow proportional strength in niche to compensate weakness outside of niche”.

and it legit isn’t hard to see why and how her “niche” came about if one analyses her kit.

No, she is used on all control maps, but on most of them she immediately switches to mcmeme

like i said…the usage is too low at the moment to draw any real conclusions (think i mentioned that twice)…even the one positive number i gave…im just trying to give accurate numbers…give it a couple of weeks

Oh I see where the misunderstanding was.
You thought making Sym less niche or not pointless in anything besides defense would mean significant changes in her pickrate or making her close to a generalist. Yeah no.

Note how they say “more flexible and viable across more areas” and “in more team compositions” and “stronger on offense AND defense”. That doesnt mean she will not be niche or very situational.

The problem was that previous sym was literally only “decent” in defense AND on 2nd point mostly. If you used her on 1st point for the TP, most people switched to another hero on 2nd point etc.

If anyone expects Sym to have the pickrate of … echo, soldier, ashe, junk or something like that … yeah no. Not going to happen.

I would. Sym 3.0 launched with a terrible kit. Not just balance wise, it’s loaded with bugs that still persist to this day after all this time.

3 Likes

Oh yes. Sym 3.0 after launch was easily the worst hero in the game.

Shorter beam, horrbile tick rate, more charge time, less range on tp, railings > tp, less HP.
And the devs really thought she was in a balanced state after removing everything good about 2.0. Her turrets were the only improvement from 2.0 to 3.0.
SG? Gone.
Piercing orbs? Gone.
Barrier? Gone.
Spawn TP? Gone.
Lock on? Gone.
6 Turrets? Gone.

What did we get?
Rein’s shield and a tp that can never be in a balanced state because how overpowered it is which is the reason why the rest of Symmetra’s kit is so bad.

1 Like

Yeah the rework was a flop. We most likely aren’t going to see any aggressive balance changes/reworks for her until Overwatch 2, so we should just hope and pray that the developers have something in store for her once the sequel releases.

I’m really sure Sym 4.0 will happen because

• “We talk about Symmetra a lot” and they won’t stop until the problem is “fixed”
  • They are going to remove her niche (2CP)
  • They stopped balancing her

Tank Mei and Moira’s utility rework will probably happen too. And a bastion rework hopefully.

I thought sym mains didn’t care about owl :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I mean thats what I was told when I made a topic on this same subject

Using a Hero just for 2 seconds doesnt get counted in the hero usage

well… it has to

The only time sym was used on blizzard world was to TP allies out of spawn faster and she a pickrate on that map, meaning that picking a hero for a second MUST count towards pickrate