Recommend trashing The Art of Overwatch: Volume 3 plans

Continuing from OW2 “Sneak Peek” (Art of Overwatch Vol.2) - General Discussion - Overwatch Forums (blizzard.com)

Look I know devs need money… Everyone does.

But you kinda cross a line when your highlighting this book has more spoilers for OW2…

Which it didn’t

Then don’t go back and add something new in that 2 year time period.

which you guys didn’t

Then later say it’s being delayed for “Cassidy name change”

Which I am being told McCree name is used several times in the book.

Not surprised, but I mean, I just want to see good use of effort.

Aka more Truths, less Lies.

(I am turning a blind eye for this for now, because got other things… But in the future, will expand on this depending how things go.)

(Hoping I am totally not misreading events, but I don’t think I am.)

15 Likes

They can’t blame Activision on this one. This level of petty greed is on them/

4 Likes

One could say that you should buy it for the art book but considering that the whole purpose of mentioning the there was a sneak peek for OW2 as a marketing strategy to get more pre-orders to push people on the fence into buying the book and then having basically nothing new…

It’s pretty greasy.

Not that I would believe they had a real sneak peek due to the company being so disorganized and how much they like to flip flop during development.

8 Likes

They should have expanded it more. Showed the failed redesigns of Widow and Tracer also. And expand that to Lucio, Mercy, Basion, ETC.

They didn’t have to show us new heroes/hints, but rather elaborated in-detail on the history behind the OW2 resdesigns we do know about.

That one page sneak peek was a slap to the fans.

“Sneak peek” is not a promise of “reveals”…nor anything “new” for that matter….just saying….like if people paid (whatever cost was) for an 350+ page OW1 ARTbook BECAUSE of potential OW2 news that’s on them really….at best I was expecting maybe some sketches of some of the maps we’ve seen….like they’re not going to reveal a new hero this way…or maps/modes/gameplay changes….

And my memory is hazy but I don’t recall this….i remember Andy making a post clarifying that the mccree name change was not a retroactive media thing ……I do remember everyone making this name change assumption though…I will gladly eat crow on this (I’m used to it with my memory)

7 Likes

Um… in what context has the term “sneak peek” been used in for old information? Every single instance I have heard the term used was for something new.

6 Likes

New as in completely unrevealed/unmentioned info….people were expecting unknown stuff

They reveal that type of stuff through other means

1 Like

That is pretty much what a sneak peek is. You don’t sneak a peek at something you already know.

8 Likes

I did not buy “art of overwatch 2” book because despite it being mostly art from post release heroes, they thought they would put Tracer as the cover girl and the post release heroes as background characters that you can barely see

https://i.imgur.com/shY8lzf.png

It just makes 0 sense to why Tracer is put as the main girl on this cover while treating the post-release heroes like they are just the background. Like I wish they’d stop with this type of marketing. Doomfist should have been the main cover art on this book, NOT tracer.

3 Likes

I saw it coming. It was unlikely to show something exclusive just for few who are going to buy it. It was clear that it woudl have been leaked in day 1.

I am actually more surprised of the lack of content for that reveal. It is very alarming that the only thing to show is the same few things.

2 Likes

There are degrees….like they could’ve shown a blown up closeup of snowball…or like Winston’s gun or something….”new” by your definition….also “that’s it? What a load” worthy more than likely…

What they showed (in terms of types of stuff) is what I expected them to show (albeit a lot less)….

The Art of Overwatch: vol 3 will come out when they have new heroes and maps to show artwork for - when OW2 has already come out.

They really should’ve taken a page from the “Realms of Runeterra” book, as not only did it give artwork both seen and unseen (alongside new and old text) but also had an exclusive short story to end off a few of the key regions in Runeterra (Demacia, Noxus, Shadow Isles, Piltover & Zaun, etc.)

Imagine an Overwatch art book that also provided an exclusive short story on where some heroes are during the events of the Overwatch narrative that players may or may not meet in-game.

5 Likes

Except things like that are how they tell stories because they don’t have a game to tell the story in (by that I mean a campaign).

When you lack a campaign, you can tell stories wherever, but when you have a game you have to be very very careful to make sure that your game is fully understood and contained within the game. The downfall of many a game’s story is when you needed to consult a book or TV show to understand important details.

Even further… imagine getting that without having to buy an art book…

mind explosion

1 Like

If you don’t want the book, nobody is forcing you to buy it.

I’d rather have them not thinking of trying another greasy marketing tactic later on. They’ll stop doing it when they stop getting away with it.

1 Like

Pretty there is a chart somewhere on what to do next if this certain thing your currently doing doesn’t stick.

It’s basically a religion at this point.

What a sec,… never mind that’s what religion basically is anyway.

They said sneak peak and considering it is an art book at best that was going to be some OW2 art which per the very link we are shown is in the book. Nothing they said was untrue which is just as good because everyone would know what is in the book by the first day anyway.

You seem to be quoting a lot of things that were never said. No-one ever promised an Overwatch 2 infodump - and they weren’t going to suddenly release a ton of new info in a random art book. I agree that I expected more Overwatch 2 content based on their advertising, but it was always going to stuff that had already been shown/announced.

And the delay being due to the McCree/Cassidy name-change was always only speculation - there was never a reason given for why the book was delayed. I would guess the real issue was supply-chain issues in China.

3 Likes