Recently tried private coaching. I must say I'm a believer

I spend enough time playing this game that I could justify private coaching via Fiverr. As a pure dps player (mainly hanzo / ashe), I’ve been stuck at low gold since 2018 even occasionally dropping to as low as 1700’s. Recently after just 1 hour of coaching I have climbed to 2368 which is by far my highest SR.

I get it if you see it as a waste of money for a “dead game” but I still play it at least 1 hour / day so I thought I might as well try to progress in it. There’s a lot of info out there on youtube but I feel like I watched it all and wasn’t able to apply it to my games as much as I’d like.

Here’s how it helped me:

• What I know I should be doing and what I end up doing in game don’t match up. Someone pointing out exactly what I could be doing better (positioning / game sense) was super helpful.
  • When I get flashy kills or dumb risky kills from a bad position and think I’m a hotshot, being told “yeah you got the kill but this would never work against a better player” helped me immensely and changed my perspective.
  • Watching and learning from good players is great but some people are so mechanically gifted that they offset the bad positioning / decisions they make. Being taught fundamentals instead of things like how to aim/ how to improve accuracy was way more important and helpful. First thing my coach said something along the lines of “I don’t care about your mechanical skills or accuracy. It’s not your priority right now” Actually with correct fundamentals / positioning, my damage / kill output increased a lot anyway.

And this is just for a DPS player. I can not imagine how much more helpful it would be as a tank or support player. I imagine even more so.

Anyway I hope to progress further and get to plat soon. I believe for the first time. If anyone’s stuck and considering, or if you can justify spending the money, I really do think it will help you a lot.

PS / Edit: I was on the fence about mentioning his name cause I don’t want people to think this is just an ad for one specific person.

But yeah why not? I loved his services and benefited from it so might as well endorse it. He’s Hidan_ow @ fiverr I’m sure the other coaches I’ve seen there will also do a great job but Hidan’s resume and user feedback looked amazing so I chose to go with him. 0 regrets.

Can find all the info about price, what he delivers etc on fiverr

18 Likes

Glad it worked for you!! Sounds like you actually sat down and tried to pay attention to what your coach was saying and really get the most out of what they had to offer!!

5 Likes

Yeah lol I climbed from 1100 to around 2800 in a year for DPS playing Reaper and my aim SUCKS. The only reason I played Reaper was because I saw him as a lower skill floor Tracer, except Tracer can do a bit more. Applying the same basic game sense as good Tracer players, I got to 2800 and I’m still around that elo, because my aim isn’t great

7 Likes

Don’t worry homie, you can and will improve your aim! Just remember:

If you can Aim, you can cause some Pain! =]

3 Likes

Maybe if I have the time to, but OW has been a bit unhealthy for me because of the time needed to improve. I plan to play ranked casually until I have nothing to do again lol maybe one day i’ll be gm :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

That’s great! :grin:

A while back a purchased a gameleap subscription, and now I’m around 2900 :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

The only reason why coaching exists is that ppl are stubbornly stupid and deny to look at themselves from “I am bad” perspective. And then just compare themself to any better player. But as soon as they would do that, they will only get interested in flashy plays instead of learning fundamentals by themself.
What I am trying to say : you could’ve save your money and just sit and watch replays or streams of smurfs/better players in order to realise what is the difference between him and you. You need to have basic analythical mind for that, but most of young generation are zoomers and hypers, so you pay for that eventually. Or you pay cause you don’t have time to play that game much more than 1h a day, cause this game is nothing w/o consistent grind. Any comp. game requires grind in order to bypass stagnation, but it is also a way to stagnate if you do not tend to learn stuff.

So mindset should be

1. I am bad, what I could’ve done better
  2. I play to learn and improve in order to get better experience eventually than others would have
  3. Analyse and compare

Since this game is very team reliant, it is easy to blame others, but since you are at low elo, you should realise it is almost all the time up to you, cause low elo is easy, you just need to learn how to make a difference and become the difference maker each match.

3 Likes

My coach just told me to land better sleeps and throw better nades while his viewers made fun of me. Next time I’ll just get my brother to review my game he’s probably higher SR anyway.

Good post. If there is a review feature on fiverr, put this there. Show the coach that they’ve done a good job and help them get more customers :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s not a coach…

I agree, sounds more like you got “coached” for content because whoever it was sounds like a 4Head coach who probably has no coaching experience at all.

2 Likes

How much was it and who coached you? Anyone famous?

You are assuming a lot about me (my age, how much I have played/grinded in the past regardless of how much I play now) but I agree with your main points. I agree people should watch replays and find their own shortcomings.

I don’t agree it was a “waste of money” since I see results. Waste of money would be if I still didn’t learn anything new. You can be exceptional / gifted / analytical / whatever and that’s fine and lucky for you! I have strengths in different areas. I can build a whole engine/ motorcycle for example, without anybody teaching me. But when it comes to fps games fundamentals and strategy, I’m clueless and need external help! If we were all amazing at this, we’d all be owl pros, right?

For more context and to answer the assumptions, I used to play 6-7 hours a day in 2018-2019. Maybe 3-4 / day in 2020. Right now between fulltime job, freelance work, other hobbies, I have around an hour/day for OW. Oh and I guarantee you I’m older than you :rofl:

I also realized 1 hour of grinding while practicing the right fundamentals is more fun, more effective and overall more successful than 5 hours a day of misery and blaming others and not knowing what you’re doing wrong :rofl:

Anyway. Thanks for your input. You are mostly right and most people may be able to figure these things out. I needed some external help and this thread was started for people who might also benefit from it.

1 Like

I always say, now that I know what it really takes to climb, I would not choose to repeat the process.

3 Likes

You know you can just YouTube this right?
Also if you had a bunch of leavers/throwers on your team you wouldn’t be at a good SR.

Same goes for the enemy team, so it balances out over time. You won’t be hardstruck in a rank because of “leavers, throwers or bad teammates”

1 Like