Reaper's Still Hurting

I play Reaper a lot. Its my main. I have floated between platinum and high diamond and been in top 50 reapers on overbuff for many seasons. my peak was rank #3 overall for reaper. I say this so you understand i know the character very well after hundreds of hours of playing with him.

He is still not in a good place. After the patch I notice my hits are much more precise and that feels great; but its not what is hurting Reaper. this just ensures i get my kills instead of randomly missing like b4. He can’t counter the people he was created to counter…tanks. With Brig, anna, doomfist, hammer down, boops, mcree, emp, hack, freeze, hook, and the many others that control movement. There are numerous counters that easily counter Reaper. He is the most counterable character. More characters counter Reaper than any other character even more so than the other flankers. Reaper cannot take on 1v1’s as well as he once did. He is gradually getting worse. He has two abilities that need help.

Ult - Reapers ult can be booped and many times someone will kill me while standing in the death blossom radius and they are not being healed. a soldier or mcree can just put head shots in me while death blossom is going on and kill me while in the death blossom. It happens often. Not to mention the easy and many ways to counter reaper with the numerous amount of people that can. Reaper is one of the easiest counters right now. this also makes zen a very strong counter to his ult. A lot of my games someone will pick a counter and then i have no chance of killing them and for the rest of the game deathblossom is useless as an ability to get kills. Its worse than the genji blade vs zen ult and other ults. Roadhog is even more of a counter now than before. So much so that Roadhog completely replaces Reaper. Hog is a better Reaper at this point. Death Blossom has changed from a way to strategicly kill people to be used to trigger ults. Literally I only use Reapers ult to trigger oponets ults. If i get kills its cuz the enemy team messed up. Now instead of using deathblossom as a combo with the team. death blossom is now an item that needs to be used when isolating people and everytime i press q its a guess and hope that it will work. If the enemy has any sense or can time my ults (not hard to do) death blossom is a waste. Ive had anna sleep me while in the deathblossom and still kill me. Hog can pretty much ignore Reapers ult if anything he can hook him which happens often even while standing in the radius. Reaper needs to not be able to get booped while using deathblossom and the radius needs increased by nearly 25% for it be be of more use. Enemies can literally walk out of death blossom while it is going on. they move faster than the reaper ult so they can literally just take a couple steps out of the death blossome even tho they were in it, they can walk out. The enemy has to be completely oblivious and stand in it to die. People just walk out or turn around in the middle of death blossom and spam an ability in reapers direction and reaper is SUPER easy to hit with any ability. Reapers ult needs adjusted to be more effective. right now its just slightly under balanced and with a small tweek it could fix him. make him immovable while ulting and increase the radius. increase reapers speed and damage in his radius so reaper can ult and move around more freely and be harder to hit with abilities. Make it to wear if u are damaged by reapers ult u can’t just turn and stun him in the middle of the ult. the dps is just not enough and he needs to be harder to hit with abilities. Reaper is so easily countered and his ult is even easier. just pay attention. only those that are not aware die to it.

Wraith form - I can’t tell u how many times i will get booped off an edge or die while in wraith form. It always happens like this. I start taking damage or i notice something that triggers me to use the ability. I then hit the button and within the first second of trasitioning I am still vulnerable. Not sure on the exact time but i watch it a lot on kill cams where i as reaper get booped or knocked away while in in wraith form. When I hit the button i should no longer be affected by movement affecting things. This is one of the most annoying things to be in wraithform and still be affected by roadhogs ult or lucio’s boop. If i am in wraith form i should not get affected by boops or movement causing attacks. Hit the button and change into wraith form and no longer be affected.

Genji Deflect - not uncommon to die to a one shot reflect from Genji. This is how the killcam plays out with this issue. I shoot at genji (he is not deflecting) the bullets leave the gun and he then triggers his ability and then its reflected back. I watch the killcam and the opposite shows on there screen. Genji was deflecting and then i shoot. Its very frusting to shoot at a non deflecting genji and die to a deflecting genji only to watch the killcam and see that he had it up before i shot yet it was not even on my screen because i wouldn’t of shot if he was deflecting. I just want genji to deflect to look both the same on kill cam and on my screen. Did genji properly deflect? if so then make it appear so on my screen before i shoot. I hate shooting a non deflecting genji only to watch him turn it on after i shoot and die to it and watching the killcam it shows the opposite. this happens a lot. even if i don’t die, or he kills me in another way the deflect will damage me and I just want to see the killcam and the game as the same. I hate playing the game and see two different things happen. I also run on 144hz benq monitor, all my ports are open on my cpu and router. im hardlined connected and have a 30ms png. I have 300+mb dl and 25mb upload. the issue is not on my side. its with the game.

Shadow Step - Distance is not far enough and still its very difficult to get the purple shadow (the place you will appear after u use the ability) in the place u want and requires odd weird screen movements to make it appear as u want it too. It also takes too long to occur. the time it takes from invulnerable to vulnerable is way too long. reaper needs to be able to travel greater distances and the ability should happen faster. The location for the wraith form needs more graphics to make it easier to use its very annoying and feels like its unfinished with its graphics. we get a purple smoke and have to guess with our screen on how to point with it. if we had an easier graphic it would help with getting to locations faster and easier.

Please give Reaper more love

How the heck are you diamond but one of the best reapers in the world?

i just don’t like the rng shots of all shotguns. including reaper. sometimes he does massive damage while not aiming on someone directly and sometimes you shoot someone directly and damage is mediocre. why not all shotguns shoot in same patern??

As a reaper main I disagree I don’t think he’s as bad as people make him despite his low pick rate depends on the style you use him but I find no real issue recent buffs was nice

I feel like his damage is good, any buff to that might be too much.

To me, it’s trying to Ult that sucks. 10 million shields, stuns, knockbacks. You could drop right into the full team and not get a kill.

I feel like that could be said for a lot of heroes right now. Good luck Ulting against this current meta.

1 Like

I think his shadow step is a good candidate for tweaking. Could try making it instant or near instant, like 0.5 of a second. Or lowering its cooldown to be used more often for faster flanks. Improving its distance and ease of placement would help as well.