Reaper really needs to get change!

Dear. Blizzard Entertainment Overwatch Managing Team

Hello, I am a korean overwatch user who loves to play the hero ‘Reaper’ and I have been passionately playing this game since it was released.

(My battle code is ‘잘생긴남캐왜없냐#3916’.

I am sending this message to suggest some ideas for changing Reaper’s E skill to a new skill. I have been contemplating this idea seriously for a long time, as the current E skill is not welcomed by most users, and even mocked by some users for having a low ability compare to other heros.

Therefore, I want to suggest some helpful ideas to the overwatch managing team. No matter how long it takes to get a reply from the overwatch managing team, I will be waiting for the reply.

My ideas are broken down into 3 sections:
[1] Why reaper’s E skill is not popularly used

[2] Suggestion of a new skill that substitutes for current E skill

[3] Some improvement schemes if the new skill can’t be applied in the future

[1] Why reaper’s E skill is not popularly used
I am very grateful that Reaper’s ‘Passive skill’ and ‘Hellfire shotguns’ have been upgraded recently. However, I do believe the fundamental issue with Reaper not being used well is its E skill. (‘E skill’ indicates ‘Shadow Step’ here.)

I believe the original purpose of the E skill is to make the most of Reaper’s short distance attacking skill. However, there is a problem that goes against this purpose.

Reaper prepares ‘cross-armed pose’ twice when he prepares to use E skill and again after using E skill within visible range. Therefore, while Reaper prepares this pose and un-do this pose, there is high possibility that reaper is attacked by another enemy. It goes against the main purpose of why this E skill was made, which was supposed to be sneaky approach to the enemy when they are not aware.

Because there is no ‘invincible time’ while Reaper does ‘cross-armed pose’, he normally gets killed as soon as he actives the E skill. So in actual games, the only time users make use of this skill is when they return fighting after a ‘respawn’.

So I suggest adding an ‘invincible time’ to Reaper’s E skill or make the moving time shorter.

[2] Suggestion of new skill that substitutes for current E skill
If it is available to change current E skill to a new skill, I would like to suggest a new idea called ‘New Shadow Step’.

With ‘New Shadow Step’, Reaper can target one enemy within 25m by pressing the same E Key. Player’s view can be designed similar to ‘Mercy’s Guardian Angel’.

After Reaper targets one of the enemies, if player presses the left mouse button, Reaper can “Teleport” to a spot very close to the enemy with high speed. This skill is similar to ‘Roadhog’s Chain Hook’ apart from Reaper directly runs to the enemy. And if the player Presses the right mouse button, he can cancel the skill. The ‘cooldown time’ of the skill can be similar to the current E skill’s cooldown time.

I believe this new skill will make Reaper’s short distance attacking style more attractive and players can fight more intelligently with various strategies.

[3] Some improvement schemes if the new skill can’t be applied in the future
If these two opinions are not able to be applied, I suggest these following solutions.

-Please make Reaper climb up the wall like Genji and Hanzo while he is using Shift skill.(=Wraith form).
-Increase Reaper’s retention time of Shift skill.
-Increase the moving speed of Shift skill.
-Increase the moving speed while Reaper uses his ‘Ultimate skill(=Death Blossom)’.
-Increase the number of bullets of Hellfire Shotgun from 8 to 10.

Additionally, I sincerely ask blizzard to add ‘right mouse button skill’ to prevent the enemy in the medium distance to Reaper.

Even though Reaper is an ‘DPS Hero’, it doesn’t have other attacking methods apart from Hellfire Shotguns. His ‘Hellfire Shotguns’ does have strong fire power, however, it only works within short distance.

Because Reaper is poor on mobility and has large hit box, it often struggles to approach closely to the enemy.

His Shift skill(=Wraith form) is the only method of running away, so this skill should not be wasted on approaching to the enemy.

This message may be one of the small opinions out of hundreds, but It is my earnest request to use this hero with more care. This solution has come from my experiences as I have encountered so many users having a hard time with this E skill.

dnpftl@google.com / dnpftl2@naver.com

↑ These are my email address. You can send me reply to either of those email addresses.

Thank you for reading this long e-mail, and I look forward to getting a reply from Blizzard entertainment.

Sincerely, Lee

[Moderator Edit] Removed personal information.

12 Likes

Even Seagull says, that Reaper needs a buff:

Was before the FTH-buff, btw.

5 Likes

As a Reaper main (pretty much a one trick) I agree that his shadow step needs work, but i disagree as I believe Reaper is balanced or even a bit op.

Im able to utilize flanks or play brawler effectively to maximize damage and picks.

However, his Shadow Step is really buggy in my opinion and thats where some mobility issues come in.

It doesnt go where you want sometimes.

Its super slow in terms of animation time and executing it to make it go to the desired spot. In comp, i have to double check its in the right spot before i execute.

And its loud as hell.

In terms of mechanics, its a great ability to reposition (reaposition xd), move faster through the map, and pull off flanks faster.

As with the #2 option, you will lose your speed to reposition and flank faster but focus more offensively and be better at getting closer. This can be a pretty broken skill though…

1 Like

Well, as another Reaper main, I have my thoughts on it summed up from another quote.

And you really reminded me of it with your first suggestion, since it practically hit the same idea, only big difference being that you can cancel it mid-travel, which honestly, would drastically raise Reaper’s skill-floor.
But with proper application, would also make Reaper borderline [op]pressive.

1 Like

Thank you for your comment.
However, Reaper is not an assassin hero. He is not capable of approaching the enemy by himself. Even if he approach it, he can’t survive after killing the enemy(he is not Doomfist…) Reaper is a hero who has to fight in the front line with his team. So I think Reaper doesn’t really need Shadow Step.

1 Like

So op, that one of the only Reaper-streamer stopped playing Reaper.

2 Likes

I really don’t know why Blizz refuses to buff his Shadow-Step…

2 Likes

Reaper has a bad design imho.

The way how he’s made, he’s prone to being good at shooting stuff. So if he was good at destroying tanks, his pellets would have gotten to the point where they are also good at killing Squishies.

He can already 1-tap Squishies on occasion, despite the spread.

If they wanna make him a tank buster, reducing spread will only make him a problematic character.

So the best they can do is buff shadowstep and maybe make an E that allows him to phase into someone very quickly like Moira’s Shift, or some kind of smoke bomb.

And in exchange they make it so his gun is bad against small Squishies (no more 1-2 taps) and good against tanks and big targets. More spread?

2 Likes

D.va = add micro missiles
Symmetra, Torbjörn, Hanzo = Reworked
But Reaper??
He just seems to have been forgotten long ago…why…

2 Likes

Yup, sadly one of the first heroes…

1 Like

By all means, Reaper’s E needs a rework. I meant op for punishing noobs, but in high elo hes trash. His skillcap needs to be raised and I agree with you all with reworking his “e” to increase it. But just have it balanced so its not op and ppl dont complain.

+++What Seagull says is very accurate. Even me didn’t recognize such a problem. wow, there’s no tank-buster in overwatch…

Basically he said that tanks are OP due to so much burst healing and armor in the game and armor counters Reaper. So Reaper should get armor penetration on his weapons.

Yeah, I mean Reaper can’t really stand toe to toe with other DPS.
And yeah he also kinda struggels against heavy tank-comps, for several reasons…

Sir, I immediately wanted to reply to your comments, but it took a long time to come back from my work and interpret many articles. In conclusion, I am surprised that others have thought similar to me. This proves that the Reaper’s Shadow Step is just as inefficient. Your other idea is very interesting. Even in Overwatch’s first cinematic video, Reaper had the skill to fire the small bombs. It is very unfair that DPS hero has no other means of attack besides his gun. I am sorry that Blizzard has long ignored this opinion. I hope our comments become a bigger issue and they will get to know it.