Really Low FPS despite good laptop

I bought a laptop back in July (ASUS TUF506IV-AS76 TUF Gaming A15 Gaming Laptop, 15.6” 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type, AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, GeForce RTX 2060, 16GB DDR4, 1TB PCIe SSD), and it used to run great, but now Overwatch is only getting around 60 fps on medium. I’ve already tried a bunch of things like the auto bliz launcher close, but nothing is working. It is also super weird, because when a launch, I get like 300 fps for about a minute, then it cuts way down.

did u disable vsync in overwatch?

yes, legit the first thing i tried

Are you talking about the menu system? Menus are locked at 60fps for everyone.

no, in games. I know about the menu system

Can you add a DxDiag?

Hey there,

Performance loss over time, especially with laptops, could mean components are overheating and thermal throttling. Try checking your temperatures for CPU and GPU.

1. Download HWMonitor and install it.
  2. Launch the program before starting the game and allow it to run in the background.
  3. Play for at least 15-20 minutes or until the issue occurs.
  4. Switch back to HWmonitor, maximize the window, then expand all of the individual sections.
  5. Scroll to the top and take a screenshot. For Windows 10 press Win+Shift+S to take a screenshot of the window. For Windows 7 or 8.1 press the Printscreen key on your keyboard.
  6. Paste the image into the Paint program and save it as a .bmp or .jpg
  7. If you were unable to capture all of the sections in the first screenshot, scroll down in HWmonitor and repeat the process of screenshotting and saving it.
  8. Upload the images to an image hosting website like imgur.com then share the unique links in your next post. Paste the links here, then highlight everything and hit the </> button in the posting section so it will allow the link.
https://imgur.com/gJHtMRg

That image doesn’t show any of the temperatures for the hardware. Please upload a new one that shows the full window, or multiple shots of sections of the window.

https://imgur.com/a/mOWbDDQ

Looks like the GTX 2060 is hitting 80C max, which is a little warm but should be fine for the GPU.

The real concern though is the CPU. The Ryzen 7 4800H is hitting 97C max which is pretty close to the limit of 105C for that CPU. This is likely causing thermal throttling which means lower clock speeds and less performance.

We have some basic steps on preventing overheating which I’d recommend checking out.

Since this is a newer laptop I’d recommend contacting ASUS Support or the retailer if you are not able to get the CPU temperatures lower with your own methods. They should be able to recommend next steps if the laptop is thermal throttling and the cooling system is not working efficiently.