Really intresting video worth a watch in regardss to Activision MM system different game - warzone - but same company do not expect anything to be different

The MMR balances you so you have matches that are on your skill level.

This prevents stomping on both sides, though it isn’t able to prevent it in every case.

How the hell is this rigging? If at all it just helps you get actual proper matches that aren’t too hard or too easy… it creates an actual competitive enviorment that works.

By that logic you can say that every matchmaker is rigged because they choose against which player you’re going to play again.

Like bruh what?

1 Like

Um no… if you were better, you’d win more in these 50/50 games. Why? As i said:

This^
If you were better, you’d consistently break parity on the matchmaker. You aren’t so you aren’t winning more so you aren’t climbing more.

Are we playing the same game?
90% of the matches is either you roll or get rolled.

1 Like

Except it is very different. Guy who created video is only testing how location and time is affecting matchmaking. Overwatch matchmaking works differenty as it has limit and wont create match worse than 40% vs 60% chance. And if that is the case, SR loss is lowered for team with lower win chance. Creater of the video really didnt discover anything special. He discoverd that matches are more unbalanced with a lot lower player base. Well that is kind of obvious. The bigger player base you will have, he more balancing games you will have.

Guy is also talking about abusing the system with leaving games. That doesnt work in Overwatch, because stats from left games are not used at all in overwatch. Matchmaker completely ignore your stats in left match.

Also Overwatch is made by Blizzard team so their matchmkaing can be very different from others games from activision even when they are together.

No it should not, because SR is a lot easier to manipulate than MMR.

As far my experience goes, i have pretty balanced matches.

Though playing alot with people that are far from your own SR can mess up your MMR from time to time.

Region and Time also plays a role in how many players there are available.

This is not a completely accurate description of MMR. MMR is a handicapping system. For more information, see my thread:

I’d rather take an official statement from Blizzard instead of taking an assumption from an user which could be wrong.

Well it’s not a simple assumption, rather you took some good time.
I must say that dedication is good, though then again if it’s wrong then i wouldn’t take the risk honestly.

2 Likes

Except with 2.40 KD in the game it puts in the highest tier of that game thus pushing him to play harder games. Everyone playing at different times are not just magically worse, their simply are not enough good players around to make a harder lobby. The results with a lower KD account would be vastly different.

Is it kills per death? And is that good number in that game? I honestly have no clue, I dont play it.

Also are results team based? If he is in bronze lobby there, is it team vs team?

The original WoW arena was straight-up chess ELO. Every new team started at 1500 and got matched against teams close to 1500, then you won or lost points based on whatever the standard ELO calculation is.

It worked pretty well most of the time. It was ruined by the need to farm for PvP gear, and it lost all integrity when you needed to reach a certain ELO in order to qualify for arena gear purchases. It was nothing but 5v5 teams selling boosting slots from then until I quit.

It’s rigging 101, chap. Any intervention over naive matchmaking is rigging. Performance tracking, attempts to estimate outcome margins and balance matches for that – hard rigging. If you accept as input any kind of data to ship the match - that’s rigging. An unrigged matchmaker is blind - it’s told only which pool to grab players from.

Keith said it rigs for close matches no matter what SR. I don’t want close matches if they’re not labelled correctly. I want match difficulty appropriate for my pay - i.e. SR label. Stomp 4 games at 560sr (bottom 1%), perform APM/accuracy in the top 25%, and you’re 100% buffered away from true bronze players (by skill output, not winrate). The mmr will rig you with throwers/leavers/trolls and put you vs. alts/smurf stacks to offset that SR escape.

It’s rigged. But even if you turn a blind eye to it, there is no defending the other failures, like a lack of reset, or the appropriate layoffs/hiring.

2 Likes

Even so if it’s rigged, it still makes it better performance wise so you don’t have like someone with high MMR against someone with low MMR because that could just be a huge skill gap.

Skill wise it keeps it in check imo.

Except that’s what the rigging does. You’ll have team averages being close (and they don’t use harmonic means here, shame on them). Meaning if you’re overperforming, your mmr goes up but because you’re confined to a particular SR range, it’ll ship your match with lower mmr players. And on both sides of the fence, you’ll have these mmrs all over the place to keep things approx ‘equal’ (i.e. 50/50 +/- error estimates).

So someone with high mmr is being ‘balanced out’ by low mmr players, and playing against potentially other high mmr players. People are getting harder/easier matches than they otherwise should be getting for their SR label.

The only thing it keeps in check is your ladder mobility. Climbers face backpressure and derankers get forced wins.

5 Likes

That is how a competetive scene work thou, one player is better and advances another is worse and stays in place. That is how tournamnets are set up as well, the best players do not face each other until the finals for OW that would translate to GM, but with the current system in the holy name of balancing games in diamond, plat, gold levels they still apply MMR to essentially handicap players or have sweets playing each other. Makes no sense at all and it completely lacks competitive integrity.

I get that competitive games are still fairly young stuff and sports been around for a while, so maybe it is time games learn from sports a bit, not everything is translatable, but some basic stuff actually is like how you rank players.

Correct. Shillers deny this thou, or they simply missed out on basic school and can not understand the system. On the side the games keep bleeding players :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I think ranks are kind of something different really.

You have multiple rankings and you have multiple categories within those rankings.

You have Low-Mid-High or however you want to explain it, and to get to the next ranking you have to get over the obstacle by climbing from Low up through High.

It’s in my opinion a challenge that’s fair, this way we can prevent boosting too.

We have Skill Based MMR systems under Diamong, hence why it’s hard to go from Plat to Diamond since to cross that barrier you have to switch from individual skill to team-skill.

I think it should work in a way like this, makes sure each ranking poses a challenge for every person.

Except it should not, the ladder should not represent the individuals skill curve, but the community as a whole, it should be a static curve evolving as the game and its community evolves not be something personalised were you again can glide in the lower tiers of a rank and still advance to the highest tier of achievable rating points. Its like the fiasco of people with less than 50% winrate getting to GM on sombra and torbjörn.

1 Like

I don’t see how it’s bad getting to GM on Sombra and Torbjörn though.

It is because of the nature of trying to make 50/50 games that this isnt correct. If the game is able to make a 50/50 game its just a coin flip. Otherwise you must become DRAMATICALLY better than your rank to such a degree that mmr can not compensate.

1 Like

Well, at start, if everyone should agree that there should be only one of either SR or MMR as measure of skill, but not both. Using both is rigging. In fact, the best measure right now is MMR, because it dictates SR through PBSR, MMR is the most important value and it is hidden, what makes OW a non competitive game in ladder.

Matching by same MMR and MMR defining your ladder placement without SR ranges would be very strange, but a lot more fair. It would then just show how biaised is the algorithm behind to compute “skill”. Skill cannot be computed fairly, wins matter more than any computed metric but OW thinks otherwise, it is discrimination against some game styles that are not well represented by MMR and should not be part of the game in a competitive setting.

heh. hehe. heheHA HAhahahaHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! no.

What planet are you from - my games are one normal, one stomp all day…